Author Topic: Weber Q vs Standard Home Gas/Electric Oven - which is cheaper?  (Read 4731 times)

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
Hi folks,

I was wondering coming home from work about which is actually cheaper to use? A Weber Q fitted up to a standard LPG bottle or your typical home oven/cooktop? I have always wanted to use the Weber at home, but always thought in the back of mind it is probably more expensive than my stove top or oven.

I realise that the cost to fill a bottle and have your home electricity/gas supplied will vary, but has anyone heard of any comparisons done to work out which is more efficient to use at home?

Paul
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Weber Q vs Standard Home Gas/Electric Oven - which is cheaper?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:41:04 PM »
Hi Paul

Can't help with the cost but I don't think that the weber would replace the cook top, you would be a long time boiling the kettle or vegies in the weber as it won't have the small contained flame as the cooktop would. From the oven point of view heating the weber would be much quicker then heating a large oven space so less gas would be needed. Six of one half a dozen of another I would say.

Trevor
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
Depends, but this sort of electric cooking would be a lay down misere-
http://theinductionsite.com/
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
Definitely the weber will be more expensive but that is only due to the cost of a gas refill.
If you had gas plumbed outside then i'd say the webber would be cheap. Gas is better than electricity for price.
If it's only a little one or running of one burner then there is no contest.

But the flavour??? Geez! BBQ every time.

This is hypothetical right?  You can't be that skint.

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
No not skint, but interested to know what costs what compared to what......
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline elkay

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:21:37 PM »
Can't help with comparison costs, but we use our Weber Baby Q every night, rarely use the oven/stove in the house anymore. Only to steam a few vegies, best meals we have ever had. Hadn't thought of the cost issue, we are on gas bottles for our gas hws etc so whats another gas bottle to fill? LOL

Offline Doug.b

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dislike keyboard Heroes
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
I have the weber Q hooked up to the mains gas at home.
 We also do most of our cooking on it as well.
Best way to cook meals at home and without the smell in the house or getting your oven all greasy.

Doug
2012 PAJERO VRX  - Adventure offroad camper  - Cape York 
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35363.0

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
Induction cooktops are supposedly as cheap if not cheaper to run than town gas so they should beat bottled gas. If you're all electric at home adding an induction cooktop would be the cheapest way to save on cooking comparedc to plumbing up gas and installing a gas cooktop. However there may be synergies in going gas cooker if you're contemplating a move to instant gas HWS as an all electric home will use around 30% of your power consumption for hot water with element types. but offpeak heating means it's far a lesser percentage of your bill.

If your element electric HWS dies it may well be decision time for gas instant and perhaps cooking if you're up for solar or a heat pump. Plumbers are the bearers of green tidings in that regard.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 10:02:42 PM »
I cannot comment on either, but we use a fire with a home made mesh plate every night, and costs us next to nothing (fuel to get the fire wood every couple of weeks if we need to).  We add some larger wood overnight to warm us when we first hit the swag, and the dogs sleep comfortably near the fire.  I guess it i a bit different for us desert black fellas.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline TrevJel

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 10:59:43 PM »
cant help you with your question but I'll add my bit anyway, we haven't used the home oven since we got our Q simply because the the foods heaps better cooked in the Q

Offline billythunder

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »
Yeah good is way better in the webber
2012 nw pajero
2011 postie bike
Custom rtt trailer
maybe a jpod to come