Author Topic: Advice - purchasing ex SES patrol  (Read 3586 times)

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
Advice - purchasing ex SES patrol
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:36:45 PM »
Hi - looking at an 3.0L 08 CRD Patrol tomorrow which i just found out was owned by SES on a fully maintained lease. Looking at the photos it appears to be in very good to excellent condition with some great extras such as snorkel, warn winch, bar, spots lights, cargo barrier and a few more at a competitive price. It's done approx 65,000kms.

Any idea how these units are treated in the SES, what are they generally used for?

Thanks

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
Re: Advice - purchasing ex SES patrol
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
generally these vehicles are treated well. maintenance is up  to scratch with them and you'll find most of them haven't even been off road.i only speak of the local ones in our area. sounds like it was upgraded on the lease at 60k.

should have any dramas with it  8)
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Manjimike

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »
Our ones here in the West do get off the road, but I have never seen anySES driver treat the vehicle like it was a hire car  ;D ;D

Cheers Mike

Racer

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »
Hmmm any ex govt lease vehicle raises eyebrows. I currently drive a '10 GLX Pajero which has an "extensive" service history, yep, 10K, 27k, 50k, 60k (I got it at 60K). It has a number of hidden problems which owners will never find until something happens...just give it a thorough once over...

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
Without knowing where you are its a bit hard to answer but check under the seats for signs of a radio installation. Most of the installers don't bother with rust prevention around any holes they drill. Check under the carpets for signs of water damage - remember most of the work they do is storm and tempest so they've been playing in water for a lot of their short lives.

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Without knowing where you are its a bit hard to answer but check under the seats for signs of a radio installation. Most of the installers don't bother with rust prevention around any holes they drill. Check under the carpets for signs of water damage - remember most of the work they do is storm and tempest so they've been playing in water for a lot of their short lives.

It's a Vic car, great advice. Wil be taking a thorough look over it.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
Keep in mind it might have been for want of a better word a ranking officials vehicle which has all the gear and hardly worked.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »
Vic SES patrols have the radios fitted to the cargo barrier and a special mounting plate in the top of the dash to hold the heads.
They run the cables for the lights down the "b" pillar and go in through a door cable grommet between the doors.
There should be no holes drilled outside. There might be 4 holes drilled in the top of the door holes so the Red and Blue lights can be pop riveted on if they used the bar lights.
It sounds like a Sate HQ or Regional car to be fully leased as I don't know of any unit that does that.
Staff cars are rarely used in an operational condition from a cold start or used off road.
I would say that it would be a good buy.
I hope  that helps
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Diksta

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Where I Should be
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/gbney01
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
as a former SES volunteer, i can say alot of what has been said above is correct, we never drove the vehicles like they were stolen, and they were all fitted out with the best gear.
and hopefully it is a head officers car

cheers

Diksta
2016 200 Series
1983 60 Series
POTM November 2009 Winner :cup:
2009 POTY Winner :cup:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=49966.new#new

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 05:32:37 PM »
Thanks all - I inspected the GU on Saturday morning, presented fairly rough with stickers still on the rear bumper and sticker residue over most of the car.

Any way long story short, overall looked pretty good, wanted to clarify extended warranty with Nissan but the dealer sold the vehicle. I didn't ask him to hold it, was never meant to be.

Now the laborious task of finding the 'right' truck continues...

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »
My NS Paj is ex Tas Fleet Got bit at 60KM on the clock well looked after so Mitz would take it back as part of the lease arangements . Good kit so I would look at this again anyday  ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Diksta

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Where I Should be
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/gbney01
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 06:30:24 PM »
Have you looked at government auctions I picked my cruiser thru them 2 1/2 yrs ago and it hasn't missed a beat
2016 200 Series
1983 60 Series
POTM November 2009 Winner :cup:
2009 POTY Winner :cup:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=49966.new#new

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »
No, haven't looked at auctions at this stage.
Might be the next stage because I can almost recite the engine number of trucks on carsales at the moment, you could say I'm a frequent visitor!!!!