Author Topic: Box Trailer questions.  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Krackar

• Learning the Ropes
Box Trailer questions.
« on: July 18, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
I'm about to purchase my first trailer. Mainly to be used for odd-jobs around the home and for camping. Maybe in a few yrs once the kids get older it'll be the base for a camper build. I'm keen on a 7x4 high side from here http://www.tradebuilttrailers.com/pricing.htm. His tradesman 7x4 high side with 4WD upgrade.

Am I on the right track for a decent trailer? Is a swing out tailgate worth getting over the normal style? What would be better flooring for a trailer, 2.1mm checker plate or 2mm flat floor? Is there anything that is missing from them that they should have?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.

Offline Prado BB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Box Trailer questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
The price for the off road sounds ok - if the $2,600 includes those items listed under "options".  The only 3 questions I would have are:

1. What thickness RHS are the using for the chassis and A-frame (ideally it should be 3 or 4mm if you intend on using it off road a lot)
2. What's the thickness of the trailer sides
3. Question really is for you - Are you happy buying from someone who does not list an address and only lists a mobile number.

Where are you from, as someone may be able to suggest a reputable trailer maker?

:cheers:
Andy
Cheers Andy

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way, that you look forward to the journey.

Offline Krackar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
Sorry, I should have put my location. I'm in Ipswich. This guy lives in Brisbane not far from me and said I could stop in and have a look at his trailer. He makes them to order so he only has his own trailer for me to look at.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
10% upfront.
That's the law.
The rest COD. Too many shonks wanting to take your money.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »
If you're going to use it as a general purpose trailer, pay the extra and get a galvanised one. I've got a gal box trailer, had it for over ten years and it still looks as good as when I bought it, a few dings aside. Whereas the typical painted trailers purchased around the same time are riddled with rust.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Krackar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 05:30:45 AM »
A few things to think about! I'm fairly good at taking care of my things and I'm moving to the NT so I wasn't planning on getting a Gal trailer. Plus they are usually a fair bit more expensive and budget is against me.

Krackar

Offline jeeps

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • The Aussie Storm Shop
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »
I bought from Just Trailers. They built it the way i wanted it.

http://www.justtrailers.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=51

cheers
www.aussiestormshop.com.au | www.aussieberkeyshop.com.au
Offroad Camper Trailer with an Austrack top & Drifta kitchen, mostly assembled by me :)

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:39 PM »
I've been hunting around for a trailer recently myself, but have been hesitant to spend the money required to get a good one. The other day Hans Trailers were advertising on TV, and they look pretty good to my uneducated eye:
http://hanstrailers.com.au/

and reasonably cost effective:
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Search?QueryTerm=hans+trailers&Go=Go

I particularly like the hot-dipped gal finish, would be good for up here, with the humidity and the amount of rain we get. As a long term investment, it probably makes sense for me. This one particularly looks good to me as a general purpose "take stuff to the dump" trailer, but again, I don't really know what I'm looking at:
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Trailers/AdNumber=D3904100709419?AdOnTop=

But looking through another thread on here 10 mins ago, I came across these:
http://www.easytrailer.com.au/

Now, obviously, they're a cheap trailer, and won't last as long as a "good" one. BUT, they ARE cheap, they seem to have a good rep, and they fold up nice and small and out of the way.

Just a couple of thoughts from someone who doesn't have either...

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 03:35:06 PM »
PS - also came across this on trading post while finding above trailers - I'm sure it's relevant SOMEHOW.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/GreatFinds/Cars/FordFalconUte?cid=1%2C310%2C713%2C106%2C664

Thanks!
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Krackar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
I bought from Just Trailers. They built it the way i wanted it.

http://www.justtrailers.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=51

cheers

I like the look of these trailers. I can't find anything good or bad about them. Might have to give them a call.

Offline Krackar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 04:39:43 PM »
I spoke to Peter at Just Trailers yesterday and we had a good yarn. I think I might have found my trailer. A 7x4 Semi Off road trailer with a couple of extra's.

What do you more experienced folk consider must haves on a trailer? I'm thinking a swing out tailgate, tonneau cover for when I'm camping. I'm unsure how I should get the spare mounted? Any thoughts?

Cheers Krackar

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
Good work Krackar! Always good to find someone who you can work with to get what you want.

If you're going down the path of a camper later, then I would get a swing-out tailgate. Drop-downs are better for garden rubbish, etc, but swing-outs rule for CT purposes. I'd also ensure that you've got nice high sides on it.

Spare-wise, I like them mounted on the tailgate. Frees up room on the drawbar, and balances out nicely. Might look a bit funny on just a normal box trailer though, and might put too much weight behind the axle if you've got nothing on the drawbar to counter-balance it.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thanks!

Offline Krackar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »
Cheers Matto! I'll definitely be getting a swing out tailgate. They'll even make it so I can remove it if need be. And the high sides are a must in my book. The Semi off road comes with 510mm high sides.

Krackar

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »
I spoke to Peter at Just Trailers yesterday and we had a good yarn. I think I might have found my trailer. A 7x4 Semi Off road trailer with a couple of extra's.

What do you more experienced folk consider must haves on a trailer? I'm thinking a swing out tailgate, tonneau cover for when I'm camping. I'm unsure how I should get the spare mounted? Any thoughts?

Cheers Krackar

I terms of must haves. I wouldn't have another box trailer without a toolbox on the drawbar. I normally carry my straps, A length of rope and a tarp. I also can fit my chainsaw, fuel, oil and tools if I'm going to get firewood.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Krackar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 08:49:25 PM »
A toolbox is a great idea! I might have to look into that one.

Krackar

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »
I bought a box trailer from this guy:

http://mjtrailers.com.au/

Very happy with its construction and how it tows etc. 
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Offline hgmonaro

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
get tie-downs along the front and back (Tailgate)  Makes tying stuff (esp lengths of wood, steel) down  much easier and secure.  My box trailer has a checkerplate floor and it's annoying when emptying dirt out (shovel won't slide).  If I ever buy another I think I'd get flat floor and plan to replace it on 20 years :)

Offline jeeps

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • The Aussie Storm Shop
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 01:44:07 AM »
I got Just Trailers to weld on a rear receiver hitch. I have a towbar style bike rack and use it to carry bikes around on when the trailor's alread full. You can see it in this pic under the tailgate:

cheers
www.aussiestormshop.com.au | www.aussieberkeyshop.com.au
Offroad Camper Trailer with an Austrack top & Drifta kitchen, mostly assembled by me :)

Offline Krackar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
get tie-downs along the front and back (Tailgate)  Makes tying stuff (esp lengths of wood, steel) down  much easier and secure.  My box trailer has a checkerplate floor and it's annoying when emptying dirt out (shovel won't slide).  If I ever buy another I think I'd get flat floor and plan to replace it on 20 years :)

Peter at Just Trailers has told me that they can flip the checkerplate while building the trailer so I can have a flat floor.

Offline Krackar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »
I'm going to have a look at a Semi Off road trailer tomorrow at Just trailers! Hopefully they are as good as I think they'll be.