Author Topic: Kids toys and games from your youth  (Read 19435 times)

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
Kids toys and games from your youth
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »
Gday,
Not sure if anyone has brought this up before.Everyone says kids have too much computer time etc these days,I limit my kids exposure to that stuff.
But what do you remember as a kid growing up that you had to make or do?We had so much time running around the sand dunes,making bonfires,building karts and just making stuff out of...stuff..
I can start off with this that i used to make and that my kids spend ages playing with.
Magic jumping beans.

Here is a how to video
jumpingbean.wmv Small | Large

Its just a 1/2inch ball bearing or sinker in an aluminium foil "bean "or casing like a peanut.It seems to take on a life of its own and the kids love it.they spend ages racing them down hills.I embellish the story a bit and  tell them the old tin I use to make them is said to have come from an old wizard.If they get damaged put them in the tin ,tap 3 times ,shake and they are like new.Cheap fun.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:00:53 PM by pedeosar »
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Kids toys and games from your youth
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
making boats from milk bottle tops and sailing them down the gutter after rain  8)
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »
Playing cricket with myself. I got pretty good at as I won nearly all of the time. I was outside pretty much during daylight hours. I still have all of my Tonks trucks. One is 40 years old and the others nearly the same.

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:33:37 AM »
I used the same "toys" that my grandfather and father had, and my sons ans now grandsons are using them.  They consisted of a small boomerang and spear for target practise, and a coolamon (carrying dish) to carry them around with.  They have lasted at least 5 generations that I know of, so compared to a lot of bought toys, they are doing well.
I did make my sons a go-cart, using old pram wheels and the wood from an old pallet, the only thing that has ever needed changing are the wheels, oh, and quite a few bandages from the occasional spills.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:20:10 AM »
Playing cricket with myself. I got pretty good at as I won nearly all of the time. I was outside pretty much during daylight hours. I still have all of my Tonks trucks. One is 40 years old and the others nearly the same.

Used to throw a golf ball at a set of concrete steps next to the house & try to hit with a cricket bat, got pretty good but busted a few windows. That plus a round skim board in the shallows, spent hours on these activities. Only when inside when it was too dark to be outside.
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:38:36 AM »
Not so much a game or toy, but two ropes tied between two trees. My sister and I spent hours pretending we were tightrope walkers in the circus. Got pretty good at it too.

We(Dad) also made a trapeze swing under the house, and I built myself a set of stilts, not that I needed compensating for anything...  ;D :-\

Karen
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline Draggin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
As a kid, when I wasn't swimming and hitting the white water rapids in an inner tube, I pretty much spent my waking hours on a push bike. One of the "olden day" ones. One gear ratio only and pedal backwards to apply the brakes and no suspension. I did a lot of hunting and foraging with all my PNG pikinini mates too - I had an awesome childhood.
"Beneath the radiant Southern Cross"

Offline TheTaylors

• Swag User
  • In for a penny...
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:32:09 PM »
Good old elastics - hours and hours of fun.

I also remember spending weeks at school, every recess and lunchtime, making cubbies.... which consisted of sweeping up the leaves/pine needles etc into lines to form walls, creating rooms, houses etc. Made natural furniture and everything.... loved it, can still picture it as clear as yesterday.
2009 GXL prado and a Red Rock Camper

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
matchbox cars.. had a bucket full of them
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:28:24 PM »
matchbox cars.. had a bucket full of them
Me too. I wish I still had them. They were all lete 60s and early 70s muscle cars.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 11:52:09 PM »
As for toys and things they werre fairly scarce at our place... remember that my matchbox cars were exactly that....Matchboxes stuck onto the top of a cigarete packets with the bottom cut out in the shape of wheels ...Recon I didnt get a store bought matchbox car till I was about 6 or 7 even then I ever had a few ..
Had a couple of old milo tins full of plastic soldiers though and loved to collect the plastic kits from the breakfast cereal boxes..wish I still had those kits, especially as they would be almost impossible to find these days .
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:53:41 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 12:08:57 AM »
No exactly a toy, but there is one thing from my very young days.  There was a paperback magazine that regularl came out called "Look and Learn", I wonder how many other Swaggers remember that one and similar.
Tjupurula

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »
I had matchbox cars and used to smash them up with a hammer and sit them under my parents cars tyres so they got smashed when they drove off!

I used to collect empty bottles and cash them in and bought my first car when I was 9 years old, it was a VW fastback, me and a slightly older mate went halves in it. We spent all our spare time working on it until I drove it through our timber fence that bordered my parents property.

My first electronic device besides getting a colour tv at our home was a digital watch lol

But most of my childhood we were so poor I mainly just played with myself ;)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »
Danny Danny Danny, how could you

a lot my matchbox cars were "salvaged" items with broken wheels and such so I could have my very own matchbox cars wrecking yard, cars stacked 3 high and all that.

Anyone old enough to remember wrecking yards where you were allowed to walk around and kind of browse?

during cracker season we would tape little skyrockets to them...... and have rocket car races.
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
Back in the days when Guy Fawkes Night allowed you to legally to blow sh!t up, kids didn't wear bike helmets it wasn't frowned upon getting wrapped over the back of the head with a wooden spoon and my beloved green machine and scooter didnt have brakes, Green Machines and tonka trucks, those where the days,
oh and setting fire to the little green soldiers  for a war reinactment
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »
I had matchbox cars and used to smash them up with a hammer and sit them under my parents cars tyres so they got smashed when they drove off!

I used to collect empty bottles and cash them in and bought my first car when I was 9 years old, it was a VW fastback, me and a slightly older mate went halves in it. We spent all our spare time working on it until I drove it through our timber fence that bordered my parents property.

My first electronic device besides getting a colour tv at our home was a digital watch lol

But most of my childhood we were so poor I mainly just played with myself ;)
I use to tape soda siphon bulbs to them give the bulb a tap with hammer and nail for added horsepower
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »
Toy from youth and still play with it I always have it with me every now and then i put my hands in my pocket to see if it is still there but seriously it would be best if I don't post a photo of it

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »
Toy from youth and still play with it I always have it with me every now and then i put my hands in my pocket to see if it is still there but seriously it would be best if I don't post a photo of it

lmao, ya just reminded me of that song 'my ding-a-ling' although i didn't know ding-a-lings where small enough to fit into pockets though ;D
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
lmao, ya just reminded me of that song 'my ding-a-ling' although i didn't know ding-a-lings where small enough to fit into pockets though ;D
he is called wilbert not ding a ling

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »
he is called wilbert not ding a ling

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
In the late seventies I was growing up in the Snowy Mountains (Cabramurra) and we could go bushwalking by ourselves all we liked - so that's what we did. Building cubbys and hideyholes everywhere, and if you went down to the ravines around the town there was flowing water all year round and we built some stupendous dams out of rocks and mud.

In the eighties we were back in Sydney as high school from Cabramurra involved a to Tumbarumba. So it was billy carts, BMX bikes, street cricket etc.

The 'toy' that stands out from my childhood (say 12-14 years old) was the peg gun... we made them out of rubber bands, wooden clothes pegs and bits of timber. Get a 2"x1" x two or three foot long bit of wood, and drive a nail into the end. At the other end on the flat you nail a wooden clothes peg. The projectile is the spring from another peg, with a rubber band or three attached. Hook the rubber band over the nail, stretch it back and use the peg to hold the 'barrel' of the spring, then aim and 'press the trigger'.

Some of these were so powerful that they'd (theoretically) punch clean through the neighbour's fibro garage walls... I still don't know how we didn't lose eyes while playing with these things.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »

The 'toy' that stands out from my childhood (say 12-14 years old) was the peg gun... we made them out of rubber bands, wooden clothes pegs and bits of timber. Get a 2"x1" x two or three foot long bit of wood, and drive a nail into the end. At the other end on the flat you nail a wooden clothes peg. The projectile is the spring from another peg, with a rubber band or three attached. Hook the rubber band over the nail, stretch it back and use the peg to hold the 'barrel' of the spring, then aim and 'press the trigger'.

Some of these were so powerful that they'd (theoretically) punch clean through the neighbour's fibro garage walls... I still don't know how we didn't lose eyes while playing with these things.

I remember making these also. You wouldn't be able to now with the cheap plastic pegs around
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
My most prized toy as a kid was an early model Scalextric Slot Car set.  The one with the Vanwall and a BRM.
Keeping the braided copper contacts clean used to be a pita.

Wish I still had them, although I do have some slightly newer ones - but no track.

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline tossie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 01:46:15 PM »
In the late seventies I was growing up in the Snowy Mountains (Cabramurra) and we could go bushwalking by ourselves all we liked - so that's what we did. Building cubbys and hideyholes everywhere, and if you went down to the ravines around the town there was flowing water all year round and we built some stupendous dams out of rocks and mud.

In the eighties we were back in Sydney as high school from Cabramurra involved a to Tumbarumba. So it was billy carts, BMX bikes, street cricket etc.

Yep they were a huge part of my childhood. I lived across the road from a cypress mill so I had an endless supply of rifle stocks. I can still feel the pain of being hit by these things! Big red rubber bands were the best. You can still buy the right pegs if you look hard enough.

Cheers Tossie

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
About once every 2 years the Coca Cola Yo Yo team would come to my school and you could guess what every kid was playing with the next day
I Drink & I Know Things