Author Topic: How long before mould starts  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
How long before mould starts
« on: November 30, 2010, 08:15:12 AM »
Like many, I had to pack up wet last weekend. Having got home, I now have to set up ythe tent to dry the canvas. Unfortunately, I only have the front yard under a Jakaranda tree to set up the CT.

My question is how long can I safely leave the camper without setting it up before mould is lilkely to occur? If I set it up now it will just get wetter and covered in purple flowers. But I don't want mould to start, so how long have I got before I should set it up?

Mal  ??? ???

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
Re: How long before mould starts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:25:40 AM »
Mal, I don't know how long it will take before it grows mould but is there any way you can park the CT in your garage and just take the tonneau off it? At least this way it will let air in to most of it and hopefully dry it out some for you.

Is it still raining down your way too?

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:46:01 AM »
I found this on the web (Google ;D)

What do molds need to grow?
Mold requires moisture, oxygen and a food source to develop and multiply. Most molds absorb nutrients by attacking dead organic matter or in some cases by functioning as a parasite on living organisms. Outdoor airborne levels of mold are subject to many environmental conditions. With proper structural maintenance and good housekeeping, indoor airborne levels will typically be less than outdoor levels. Indoors, molds can grow on wallboard, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, carpeting, leather, dust/debris. The inside of air conditioning systems, etc. are often more than sufficient to support mold growth. When these materials become moist due to floods, structural water leaks, plumbing leaks, condensation or excess humidity the ever present fungi initiate their reproductive cycles and explosive colony growth can occur.

How long does it take mold to grow?
To be more specific, we should ask, "How long does it take for a mold spore to germinate?" Then we should ask, "How long does it take growing mold to colonize?"

To grow, molds need a food source, a certain temperature and moisture. Where these conditions are present, molds can germinate and colonize. How fast growth occurs depends on the combination of conditions. Spores can germinate after only 12 hours in some conditions and some grow in 24 to 48 hours. Houses offer an ample food supply — drywall, wood, insulation, paper. When these materials become damp or wet, settled spores can become growing molds.

Molds may colonize in 1 to 12 days depending on the type of mold. Following are several types of molds and the number of days in which colonization may take place:

Mucor sp. colonizes between 1 and 2 days.
Rhizopus sp. colonizes between 1 and 2 days.
Aspergillus sp. colonizes between 2 and 3 days.
Penicillium sp. colonizes between 2 and 3 days.
Stachybotrys chartarum colonizes between 8 and 12 days.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »
Depends on the conditions, if it's warm and humid I would say 2 days max.

I wouldn't let it go for more than 3 days - it's just not worth it - think about what you're risking.

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »
I decided to not take any risks - I had the day off today, so set up the camper (it's only drizzling  ;D). I guess it's now up till the rain stops (plus the garage is full of the extra canvas bits such as the kitchen wall) all trying to dry out.

Mal

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:07:01 PM »
I decided to not take any risks - I had the day off today, so set up the camper (it's only drizzling  ;D). I guess it's now up till the rain stops (plus the garage is full of the extra canvas bits such as the kitchen wall) all trying to dry out.

Mal

We have unfortunately had mould in the canvas, not fun at all.  Takes lots of work and time to get rid of it.  The first dozen times we used the CT it rained each time... maybe we should have gone camping more often and the drought may not have been as severe...  Following each of those trips we had to set the CT up to dry out and a couple of times it remained set up for a fortnight or so as by the time we got home after work each night it would already be damp again, luckily we have a large back yard.
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »
I guess we have been lucky. We have had a number of trips where it rained, but this is the first time we have had to pack up in the rain, and then find it raining at home also.

We also have a large backyard, but unfortunately no side access. The camper is parked in the front against the fence, and I can get the tent open (but no room for the annex). Hope it doesn't rain for too long  :'(

Mal

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »
gotta love having a 9mtr x 9mtr x3mtr opening shed in the back yard...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
and this is exactly why the new shed that is going in our backyard in the not too distant future will be big enough to open the KK in!

(remind me to show this thread to Linda)
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline farmer6

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 04:43:39 PM »

Malcur do you know anyone with a big shed or even someone that works were they have a big shed to put your camper up in for a day. Farmers like us have big machinary sheds if you know some farmers or even if someone has built a new shed that they are not using yet. 1 carton of beer to use the shed space for the day may be a good investment. I know it a while till the weekend but if you still dont have it sorted by then you may have more choose of sheds while businesses are closed over sat and sun. Just a thought. Good luck, wet canvas is no fun.

farmer6
2006 100 series landcruiser wagon

2010 Jimboomba Camper

Offline sschmez

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • sschmez's "Huts" photos on flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »
I go on the theory that it's better set up in the rain than packed up wet...
no matter how long it stays set up for, till it's dry.

Stevo

tinkera

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »
HI ALL I agree it,s better to set it up in the rain rather than leave packed up wet. My canvas is Form Fitted to the frame so it doesn,t like being packed wet. At least unzip your cover if you can,t erect.I found leaving mine wet for 2days until I set it up I found it hard to get the bows to click in without a far bit of stretching and straining.No mould though it,s good Brella Bionic canvas.TINKERA