Author Topic: Heart Attacks  (Read 10190 times)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Heart Attacks
« on: March 04, 2022, 12:17:43 PM »
I was lucky, I had 1 about 12 years ago, 1 artery 95% blocked ,2 others at 60%  :o :o
Into the resuscitation theatre at 1am , stent inserted , discharged 3 days later
Never gave heart attacks a thought, I was pretty active, played 18 holes of golf at least once a week, got a fair bit of exercise  at work, diet was good  :angel: All that didn't matter a damn, apparently I'm prone to having high cholesterol.   :'(
While it's too late now for Marshy , please go and  get a cholesterol test done, takes about 10 minutes and 100ml's of blood .

IT MIGHT JUST SAVE YOUR LIFE                                             
Like the add says "just do it "
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, Rowlie

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Heart Attacks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 01:46:54 PM »
Yep.  :)

My calcium score 1.2 and cholesterol has been within the same limits since I was 40. I'm not allowed blood thinners as my arteries and blood flow are to good and I could bleed out.  :o Dr said my stats are ridiculous for someone of my age.  ;D

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 04:38:39 PM »
Onya Keefy.... :cup:

My father was on blood pressure and cholesterol meds from the age of 40.
My Lovely made me get a check-over when I turned 40. Guess wot.....
Genetics are pretty hard to get around.

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline bob65

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 05:55:45 PM »
15 years ago for me. 2 stents and a week in the hospital.

Familial hypercholesterolemia I think it is called when you are predisposed genetically for you body not to cope with cholesterol too well. Apparently it is one in every 200 people or so from memory. Could live on nothing but lettuce and still have high cholesterol.

I didn't know of any family history, but learnt later that my grand father on my fathers side died of a hearty at the same age that I was when I had mine.

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 06:13:02 PM »
Well said Xcavator.

My doc has been on the brink of prescribing cholesterol medications for me for a few years. I have been pushing back - waiting for dietary changes to kick in. They haven't !! Anyway he told me to get a calcium score test and if it was low he would get off my back.

Zero - you beauty.

He is still not happy but apparently 6.5 isn't toooooooo bad but at least we now know it isn't doing any damage

YET !!

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 08:16:49 PM »
Well said Xcavator.

My doc has been on the brink of prescribing cholesterol medications for me for a few years. I have been pushing back - waiting for dietary changes to kick in. They haven't !! Anyway he told me to get a calcium score test and if it was low he would get off my back.

Zero - you beauty.

He is still not happy but apparently 6.5 isn't toooooooo bad but at least we now know it isn't doing any damage

YET !!

Calcium score in 2009…..585. !!   25% blocked main artery.
25% blocked is not bad…..a lot of older people may have worse, but that’s the idea of the post….get checked.

I originally had a CT angiogram…mostly covered by Medicare…..or if you don’t feel like investigating, at least do a stress test.

So many blokes I’ve talked to say whatever happens, happens…..but 99% would change their minds if lying in hospital….if they survived !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 09:03:01 PM »
My son died of a heart attack in March 2019, a week shy of his 39th birthday.

His diet wasn't that good, but  he wasn't grossly overweight. He liked a beer.  I suspect his blood pressure and cholesterol were over the recommended limits but he'd never tell me that.

They say these things can run in families but his grandmother is 97, his grandfather made 80 and I'm coming up 70.

Look after yourselves, and tell your kids they aren't invincible.
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 06:17:22 AM »
RIP Warnie
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 06:47:46 AM »
RIP Warnie

Only 52…….a timely reminder for all.

And don’t forget, it’s not a male only disease !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Foo

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 07:58:55 AM »
& if you do ever start feeling crook, go to hospital or see a Doctor!!!

FiL had a heart attack quite a few years back, which was then followed a few months later by open-heart surgery. He'd apparently  been complaining for a couple of days that he wasn't feeling well, but refused to see anybody as "it'll be OK". Then woke his Mrs in the middle of the night to ask her to drive him down to the hospital. She refused & called an ambulance. He was then lying on a table in theatre hooked up to monitors, when the Doctor said to the other staff "Look at that - that's what a heart attack starting looks like!", & gave him a big dose of something (adrenalin?) which prevented any damage.

He was OK afterwards, but had a Pacemaker for the rest of his life.

What makes the story worse?

He'd been an ambo for 40 years! ::)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 10:51:23 AM »
Well I had mine at 28, not cholesterol related but a blood clot.  Genetics, poor lifestyle and a drinking problem.  Lost around 15% of my heart capacity that day, and another 5% a few years later.

Been on the meds ever since and off the bottle as well.  Can't say my lifestyle is great but from my yearly chats with the cardiologist I'm doing OK and just hit 45 so can't complain too much.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, plusnq

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 03:03:00 PM »
Lucky I am 53 and am past the high risk age  :cheers:

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 07:50:32 PM »
Must say it is really easy to get the necessary checks, I have been doing yearly checks now for around 7years with Cardiologist. Mainly to measure the size of my aorta valve which is slightly enlarged to ensure it is not enlarging further.
Tests range from ECG, Stress tests, echo graph and scan where they inject the dye into the arteries and then scan you.
Better to be informed than be ignorant I say.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2022, 04:26:26 PM »
And another indestructible 50 y/o in trouble with a heart attack , c'mon people get yourselves tested

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-19/former-australia-odi-wicketkeeper-ryan-campbell-heart-attack/100998956

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2022, 09:03:38 AM »
I have no medical training and have been off crook for several months with an unrelated gut infection and spent a lot of time reading up on diet and health. The modern research-based thinking, believe it or not, on heart attacks seems to be this:

1. Most people who have heart attacks have normal LDL cholesterol. Cholesterol is an important component of our body and our brains are made up of a lot of it. Cholesterol is not a fat; it is a sterol.
2. The incidence of heart attacks is not related to LDL except in people with genetically increased LDL.
3. High LDL cholesterol is only a problem if there are lots of small dense LDL particles called VLDL. The ratio of triglycerides to HDL is a good proxy indication of that and should be less 2 and preferable less than 1.
4. Heart attacks are mostly caused by inflammation in the whole body which causes artery damage around the heart which the body then tries to repair with cholesterol. Calcium is then deposited on the wound as a kind of band aid. Cholesterol gets the blame when it is merely the fireman and not the fire itself.
5. Inflammation in the body is caused by poor diet with lots of sugars and refined carbohydrates which gives rise to insulin resistance and inflammation, causing artery damage and other damage as well. Saturated animal fats do not cause heart damage but seed (vegetable) oils are not recognised by the body as a food and cause damage. These oils were only invented in 1911 and were followed 30 years later by a big deterioration in health.
6. Heart attacks and cancer are pretty much unknown in populations that do not live on the modern western diet. After we were told to reduce fats in the early 1970's, sugar and starch consumption increased and rates of obesity, diabetes and heart problems skyrocketed.
7. For most people, statins cause more harm than good. When I was on them, I had memory loss. The reduction in the absolute risk, as opposed to relative risk, of avoiding a heart attack by taking statins is statistically insignificant compared to the incidence of adverse side effects. Yet doctors are handing out statins like Smarties.

So I've asked my doctor to test for triglycerides, HDL, blood sugar and insulin. My calcium score is 94 which is not too bad for a 72yo. But it should be zero. It's worth doing your own research.

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.
The following users thanked this post: paceman, Fizzie

Offline PhilWynn

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2022, 03:36:04 PM »
thanks for reminding me of the importance of this

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 04:31:24 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2022, 06:52:32 PM »
BTT...
And its not just heart attacks.

The horrible C is something to get off ya arse about.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/bowelbabe-cancer-campaigner-and-columnist-deborah-james-dies-aged-40/news-story/a8ee48119619b843c3479dc9dca02496

And another C….blood cancer….can happen to very young kids and anyone in between. NOT generally related to diet, although pesticides are one “possible” culprit in older people ( ie; farmers )..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2022, 08:46:40 AM »
And another C….blood cancer….can happen to very young kids and anyone in between. NOT generally related to diet, although pesticides are one “possible” culprit in older people ( ie; farmers )..

And some only show some very innocuous symptoms, my wife’s was basically itchy skin for an hour or two after a hot shower, some localised pain high left side abdomen and a blush across nose and cheeks.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 09:09:10 PM »
And some only show some very innocuous symptoms, my wife’s was basically itchy skin for an hour or two after a hot shower, some localised pain high left side abdomen and a blush across nose and cheeks.

Know someone who had non Hodgkin’s lymphoma ...zero symptoms…an unrelated X-ray picked up some strange masses that needed further looking at.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 10:27:46 AM »
Know someone who had non Hodgkin’s lymphoma ...zero symptoms…an unrelated X-ray picked up some strange masses that needed further looking at.

I often wonder if cancers etc are far more prevalent or not, 100 years ago you wasted away of “consumption” a catch all for many ailments.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru