Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127547 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
Hi all, we are similar to Fizzie, been on nbn fibre to the node for nearly twelve months now, overall pretty happy 23mbps downloads and around 3-4mbps uploads. We ran with Telstra and in general things when pretty smoothly, no major issues.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
I had FIL's SIM changed over the other day, and he wasn't even there... Max time 3 minutes, but to be fair the young bloke at the Telstra store has helped me out before with a duckup created in the Phillipines call centre that apparently couldn't be fixed - he took a day, and it's sorted

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2018, 09:06:28 AM »
I just fell off my chair with shock..

The National Broadband Network has admitted only one in four customers connecting through the most controversial technology in the mix will access its much-touted top speeds.

The disclosure, to a parliamentary committee, comes as pressure is mounting for the government to write down the value of the multi-billion dollar project as it struggles to deliver the service that would underpin its financial worth and the taxpayer investment in it.

Sitting before a parliamentary committee, NBN CEO Bill Morrow admits to the "poor customer experience" of HFC connected NBN users.

What the NBN response shows is that when the rollout concludes in 2020, three out of four fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) customers are not expected to be able to access its fastest download speeds, of 100 Mbps.

The controversial FTTN connection uses fibre to the nearest neighbourhood node and then uses copper wire for the rest of the journey to consumer premises.

Consumers who have fibre to their premises (FTTP), fibre to their building (FTTB) or fibre running down their street to the curb (FTTC) customers are estimated to be able to utilise the top speed plans.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/nbn-admits-three-in-four-won-t-get-top-speeds-as-writedown-talk-builds-20180116-p4yyj1.html

So if they cannot supply it - and admit it point blank....  how can they advertise and charge for something that cant be delivered ? Isnt that illegal?
 Or am I seeing this all wrong... ??? ???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bookleaf

• Tent User
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
NBN Co have a protective "you can not touch us" umbrella provided by legislation by the government.  No one can "take them to court" for anything they do or say.  The government of the day may huff and puff but they ultimately are the cause of what we now experience.  NBN Co is a very protected species.

NBN Co was created by the government of the day and were loaned billions of $$$ to implement the national NBN with the proviso they HAVE to pay it back - with interest.  NBN Co is basically a government owned company.

Two basic flaws in the whole process.
1. - NBN Co, after deciding on the best supply method - FTTP -, were forced under pressure by the government to find a cheaper method of supplying NBN.  Hence the FTTN came to be.  At the same time, NBN Co/the government decided it was a good idea to purchase from Testra ALL of the copper network to the premises for the implementation of FTTN and use Telstra as a contractor to fix any cable issues that may arise.  Well the copper cable is all old and not rely suitable for NBN speeds and thus is one contributor to the poor speed/performance of the NBN
2 - NBN Co set the wholesale price of internet usage that all the retailers - including Testra as they are now just a retailer of NBN, they do not own any of it - HAVE to pay.  The retailers then have to set their own retail pricing and decide how much wholesale internet they buy and share amongst their users.
The high cost set by NBN Co for the wholesale price- so they can start to repay the government the $$$$ loan -  has meant the retailers buy as little as they can and try and get away with sharing it thin over all their users.
This causes the  congestion and the subsequent slowdown we all see.  The second reason for poor NBN performance.

NBN  Co can say the performance is poor because it is - but they are reluctant to admit it - but that can not be taken to court over misleading advertising as it is mostly the retailers who are doing the advertising and trying to make a buck with the high wholesale cost and poor supply - as well as their own "buy as little, sell as much"  approach.
Isuzu MUX, LS-M, Cameron Canvas Camper

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »
The whole NBN thing reminds me of the old saying - good, fast (Built), cheap, pick any two.

If we had the NBN we want when we want it (now) it would be too expensive.

If we wait for the technology to develop to drive prices down to what we want to pay, we wouldn’t have it yet.

And if it was the price we were willing to pay to have it now, it would be too slow.

The pace of technology development is so high that no matter what you do, if it takes more than a couple of years to build something you can guarantee a better, cheaper version will come out first.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2018, 10:47:10 AM »
Stats from the above,
wish I could go back to my optus cable :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2018, 01:31:36 PM »
Having been connected to the NBN in Orange NSW for a couple of years I can say I was happy but not thrilled with it.
Still had buffering issues with movies etc...

New rental property has FTTP and it will be interesting to see the difference. as SWMBO won't be living in this property I am not allowed to get the really fast connection.

The property we are looking to purchase has fixed wireless NBN and is 4Km from the tower. Will be interesting to see how that one goes (if we ge the property).
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline westvic

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »
For what it is worth......useful link to see what properties have what connection and theoretical max speed

http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/nbnmtm.html

I reckon this will become a "feature" when buying a house....fibre to the prem being worth a premium
Getting there if half the fun

The other half is a cold beer when you do.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »
The green box is installed around the corner and  I got my first email offer from Telstra today.

Seems my connection date is April 27.

That is not auspicious. It is my wedding anniversary and that partnership did not end well. 

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2018, 06:10:05 PM »
The green box is installed around the corner and  I got my first email offer from Telstra today.

Seems my connection date is April 27.

That is not auspicious. It is my wedding anniversary and that partnership did not end well.
:cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: rossm

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2018, 03:54:55 PM »
First time on NBN when we moved to Geraldton WA. Have FTTP.
Same provider with ADSL we paid $60/month for 500gig data, and there was other advantages (like certain things not counted towards usage etc).
NBN costs us $55 a month, it's faster (went with the mid speed bracket, don't really notice it that much) but only get 100gig data. And everything is counted, uploads, downloads and no exclutions.

Didn't really experience issues in regards to dropouts with either, probably got lucky withe the ADSL at the last place as a lot of people with different providers seem to have issues. Occasionally you'd get times with ADSL when it was unresponsive for a bit, I guess this doesn't seem to happen as often or hardly ever with the NBN.

I guess NBN pricing with Internode isn't unreasonable though as I know people do pay a lot more. $75 would get us 500gig and $80 would get unlimited.... but with so much data would probably end up getting Netflix or whatever so that would add to the cost.... and problem is you can't use all that data when you go camping :)

Moving house with NBN was just as easy as doing it with ADSL, did have to sign up for a new 2yr contract to avoid fees but it was pretty much as simple as plugging the modem in at the new house. In some ways it's easier because you can arrange an overlap because of having to cancel one and start a new contract, compared to transferring your ADSL so therefore potentially being without internet for a few days etc.
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2018, 05:07:32 PM »
Had a call from my provider iiNet yesterday. I am still a few months away from FTTN switch on but have been looking at deals around so had an idea they were competitive and after a dozen years of fairly trouble free service I am happy to stick.

All done over the phone. They will send me a modem and call me when it is time to plug in.

People I dealt with were in Capetown which made conversation easy.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »
Installation etc was easy a yr ago, but a few days ago noticed the phone has no dial tone ???  Internet works fine ??

Don't really care, but seeing as I'm paying for it, might get onto it !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »
I got a letter today saying they want to do and inspection/maintenance on my connection. I hope they don’t expect me to be sitting at home waiting
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »
Quote from: #jonesy
I got a letter today saying they want to do and inspection/maintenance on my connection. I hope they don’t expect me to be sitting at home waiting
Then will.. LMAO but clear it with the boss first... 6mths, you can get that work done on your trailer while your waiting.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2018, 05:40:53 PM »
Got FTTN hooked up last Wed.  Electrician called in Yesterday and re jigged the wiring in the house.
All my existing phones now work, old Alcatel 200 flat phones.
Along with a Uniden walk around phone in the main area of the house.
No noticeable difference at all. 
Stuck with Telstra for the Accounts and availability of mobile service.
For $4.00 more a month they are now allowing me to have 19gig shared between 3 mobile devices. 
Previously it was 1/2 gig +  4 gig.
Apparently I'm on the lowest cost plan for my situation ATM.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »
Love our FTTN NBN at work.  It is an absolute life saver.  This is constantly what we get.  I did this just now when we have the full team working on the net right now. 

Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
Not sure when or if we will get it.
We have the hybrid version.......
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2018, 02:56:53 PM »
Love our FTTN NBN at work.  It is an absolute life saver.  This is constantly what we get.  I did this just now when we have the full team working on the net right now. 

And this is a 50Mbs (allegedly) connection.

Sometimes it gets as high as 15Mbs though. Rarely.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
And this is a 50Mbs (allegedly) connection.

and that recons it's faster than 62% of the country......................thanks, but I'll stick with my dial up a bit longer ?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »
Mine at Evening peakhour.

Ping 10ms.
Download  23.85Mbps.
Upload        4.79Mbps.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:51:58 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline OldPaj

• Tent User
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
Just did this on my Telstra wireless broadband :

Ping 35ms
Download 6.82Mbs
Upload 1.18Mbs

They tell me I can access Satellite NBN and by the end of 2020 I may be able to access FTTN or even may be able access FTTP at my expense.
My neighbour has satellite NBN, and he is really happy with it. However at 250M away from him (admittedly slightly downhill), his providers tells me that they cannot support me!!!!

The joys of living 5.5Km from a regional town.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
They tell me I can access Satellite NBN and by the end of 2020 I may be able to access FTTN or even may be able access FTTP at my expense.
My neighbour has satellite NBN, and he is really happy with it. However at 250M away from him (admittedly slightly downhill), his providers tells me that they cannot support me!!!!

The joys of living 5.5Km from a regional town.

try a different provider then...

my father was in this exact same situation... another family about a kilometre up the road had NBN fixed wireless...

initially, when the isp looked at the coverage map, they said that my father couldn't get access, but when we said that our nearest neighbour had it and we could actually see the tower, they got someone to come out and do a site survey and lo and behold, he could get connected...

try ringing a different provider and tell them that your neighbour can get access... ask them to do a site survey...

if the isp won't do it, contact the NBN directly and tell them the same thing...