Author Topic: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY? 2012 edition  (Read 383250 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
Re: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY?
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2012, 11:15:45 AM »
This a big hit with a forearm.
Make of it what you will, but some players are just thugs.
Watch what Inglis does after, to the other Dragon player in the contest for the ball, just drops into him @1.12minute mark.
Sorry if this gets pulled, the first link I had got pulled due to copyright or some BS  ???
Small | Large

All NRL club doctors unite to ban shoulder charge

South Sydney players stand behind Greg Inglis over Dean Young hit
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
Quote from: Hairs
All NRL club doctors unite to ban shoulder charge

"...says there have been 15 players taken out of games by dubious tackles, but in only one instance was there a send-off, "
Theres part of the problem.. the 2 idjits in the middle are too scared to actually send people off as the 230948230948203948 trillion replys from 23098230498230498 angles  may show they got it wrong....

headbutting a shoulder has been a tradition for decades.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:36:54 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
headbutting a shoulder has been a tradition for decades.
And this is how the bloody ref's probably see it.
 >:D
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »
My $100 Fuel card arrived today from AORC.

As promised. a little late, but better than never
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
I knew there was a reason not to like salt water!! As ive allways said, no one has ever got bitten by a Shark in the Howqua River!

Amazing Photo's.

http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/travel/killer-whales-play-in-yachts-wake-20120724-22m2x.html?selectedImage=2
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:21:05 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »
What an awesome photograph, but is it real. But then I looked at the entire set of shots.  How magnificent. What a great creature!!

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
What an awesome photograph, but is it real. But then I looked at the entire set of shots.  How magnificent. What a great creature!!

Google/youtube 'orcas attacking seals' and watch how they work together to 'wash' a seal off an ice floe.  Mother nature at it's best.
LJ
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #284 on: July 24, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »
For wyno

http://www.news.com.au/national/out-of-puff-cops-lower-entrance-fitness-bar/story-fndo4cq1-1226433562452

Becoming a police officer just got a little easier with police lowering the physical standard of one of its toughest tests.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #285 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10822015
A man seen dressed in a goat suit among a herd of wild goats in the Utah mountains has been identified as a hunter preparing for a Canadian archery season.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #286 on: July 25, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »
For wyno

http://www.news.com.au/national/out-of-puff-cops-lower-entrance-fitness-bar/story-fndo4cq1-1226433562452

Becoming a police officer just got a little easier with police lowering the physical standard of one of its toughest tests.

What a load of s$$t
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #287 on: July 25, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
What a load of s$$t

Did you work up a sweat typing that out Wyno?  ;D
LJ

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #288 on: July 26, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »
Writing has been on the wall for decades. Lots of mates will be in faeces st.

That land would be worth more than double aussies national debt... 20 houses to an acre, and CHA CHING.... :-[

Caltex Kurnell refinery to close - 330 jobs to go
KATE CARR
26 Jul, 2012 09:44 AM
 The fuel refining facility at Kurnell will be closed in the second half of 2014, Caltex managing director Julian Segal announced today.
The facility will be transformed into an import hub.

Mr Segal said 330 people would lose their jobs at Kurnell as staffing levels were reduced from the current level of 430 to 100 over the next two years.

‘‘Despite the exhaustive examination of a wide range of alternatives, we have been unable to develop a compelling case to maintain the Kurnell refining operation,’’ Mr Segal said. He said the facility was unable to compete with the larger, more modern refineries in the Asian region.

The closure announcement comes on the heels of a review into the company’s refining facilities which began last August.

The company said the closure was expected to cost about $430 million in employment benefits and refinery dismantling and clean-up costs.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Marschy

« Reply #289 on: July 26, 2012, 01:05:38 PM »
Writing has been on the wall for decades. Lots of mates will be in faeces st.

That land would be worth more than double aussies national debt... 20 houses to an acre, and CHA CHING.... :-[

News story found at News.com.au Caltex decision will not hit supply: govt

What BS that the price of fuel wont go up. When Port Stanvac closed in Adelaide the cost of fuel went up in Adelaide because it now has to be shipped in. I was in Sydney last week and you guys are paying about 10 cents a litre less for diesel that what we pay in Adelaide. Welcome to our world.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #290 on: July 26, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »
.... MAYDAY!!!!!!
MADNESS!!!

Skydiver Fearless Felix Baumgartner has made his second stratospheric leap, this time from more than 29 kilometres above the Earth - nearly three times higher than cruising jetliners.

The Austrian landed safely near Roswell, New Mexico, according to a project spokeswoman.

His top speed was an estimated 862km/h,
said Brian Utley, an official observer on site.

One giant leap ... Felix Baumgartner prepares to jump. Photo: AP

It's a personal best for Baumgartner, who is aiming for a record-breaking jump from 37 kilometres in another month.

Advertisement

He hopes to go supersonic, breaking the speed of sound with just his body.

"It has always been a dream of mine," Baumgartner said in a statement following Wednesday's feat. "Only one more step to go."

Longtime record-holder Joe Kittinger jumped from 31 kilometres in 1960 for the air force. The 84-year-old Kittinger monitored Wednesday's jump.

The 43-year-old Baumgartner ascended alone in an enclosed capsule lifted by a giant helium balloon. He wore a full-pressure suit equipped with parachutes and an oxygen supply. There's virtually no atmosphere that far up.

"It felt completely different at 90,000 feet," Baumgartner noted. "There is no control when you exit the capsule. There is no way to get stable."

He was in free fall for an estimated three minutes and 48 seconds before opening his parachutes.

NASA is paying close attention to the project called Stratos, short for stratosphere. The US space agency wants to learn all it can about potential escape systems for future rocket ships.

Baumgartner won't come close to space, even on the ultimate jump that's planned for late August or early September. Space officially begins at 100 kilometres.

Baumgartner, a former military parachutist and extreme athlete, has jumped more than 2500 times from planes and helicopters, as well as from skyscrapers and landmarks, including the 101-storey Taipei 101 in Taiwan.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/skydiver-makes-another-stratospheric-leap-20120726-22se1.html#ixzz21hRJQtzu
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #291 on: July 26, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »
Did you work up a sweat typing that out Wyno?  ;D
LJ

If the recruits had to go through, what I went through, the police force would be minus 5000 members! :D
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #292 on: July 26, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »
If the recruits had to go through, what I went through, the police force would be minus 5000 members! :D

Back in my day huh :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #293 on: July 27, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »
What did she expect as dinner goes jogging by? that the dingo's would throw coins or baby clothes at her?

A Melbourne woman has become the youngest Australian to run non-stop across the Simpson Desert, battling sleep deprivation and dingo ‘‘swarms’’ in the name of charity.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/ultrarunner-battles-dingo-swarms-on-400km-desert-dash-20120727-22xvt.html#ixzz21mqwH8ou
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #294 on: July 28, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Eamonn

• Tent User
« Reply #295 on: July 28, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
Dingo attacks tourist on Fraser Island
http://www.news.com.au/national/dingo-attacks-tourist-on-fraser-island/story-fndo4eg9-1226437501031

They roll Troopies, get bitten by Dngo...what next for our elusive German backpackers.....

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #296 on: July 28, 2012, 08:25:07 PM »
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Marschy

« Reply #297 on: July 30, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
Man's firework stunt backfires after firecracker burns his buttocks

It doesn't say what sort of firecracker, but he was obviously hangin' on to it pretty tightly!!!! Brings new meaning, to 'Get a Rocket up ya' doesn't it?

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #298 on: July 30, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
Hmmmmm... Heads been doing OT on this one.

No surprise, and dont see it as a news flash considering they are talkin 2016 onwards, but surely Ford could create something Australians have been crying out for for years??? Not a 4cyl falcon... Something... So they could at least sell here and export elsewhere.

And what about spares for older fords that are only made in AU..

Car industry prepares for Ford exit
PUBLISHED: 15 hours 31 MINUTES AGO | UPDATE: 2 hours 49 MINUTES AGO

Companies and advisers involved in the car industry have begun talking openly about Ford, the No.?3 car maker, quitting local production in 2016.

Ford’s demise is seen as inevitable and suppliers are starting to factor it into business plans that are increasingly focused on product and ­geographical diversification.

The company recently slashed ­production to about 33,000 cars a year and laid off 440 workers.

A partner with PPB Advisory, Stephen Longley, who has acted as receiver to numerous faltering car parts suppliers, yesterday became the first to mention the unthinkable when he said Ford was finished as a local manufacturer. “It’s the elephant in the room, it is just not talked about openly,” Mr Longley said.

“The components industry is saying it is a foregone conclusion.”

Writing exclusively in The Australian Financial Review today, economist and former Reserve Bank of ­Australia board member Warwick McKibbin warns that the high dollar, the carbon tax and high labour costs are driving rapid adjustment pressures on manufacturing that require Productivity Commission scrutiny. “Sectors that have rigid labour costs such as the automotive industry find it difficult to adapt,” he writes.

Mr Longley, who is receiver for APV Automotive Components, said components makers should be ­working with Ford on a new model for 2016 but this was not occurring.

He was joined by components ­makers which either have written Ford off or who talked openly about life without Ford.

Ford recently received $34 million from the federal government and further cash from Victoria to continue making the Falcon and Territory in Melbourne. However, sales have plunged to such a low level that few believe Ford can justify new investment, even with government help.

Director of automotive and defence manufacturer Abcor Group, James Kaias, said his peers in the components sector believed Ford would close as the Falcon came to the end of its life.

“They are going to be closing within two to three years,” said Mr Kaias. “That is the consensus. I think it is pretty obvious.”

Ford is one of three remaining car makers in Australia after Nissan left in the early 1990s and Mitsubishi ended local production in 2008.

A spokesman for industry minister Greg Combet declined to respond to “speculation”. “However, it is important to note that the government’s $5.4 billion New Car Plan will provide support for the automotive industry out to 2020, including through the Automotive Transformation Scheme, which supports production of motor vehicles and engines and for investment in R&D, plant and equipment,” the spokesman said.

A Ford spokesman said the company faced challenges over the next four years. “Ford Australia has been consistent in saying that the actions we’re taking to ‘right-size’ our business and be as efficient as possible .?.?. will ensure continued relevance for our local vehicles. We will use that time to develop our business case.”

Even Ford’s own suppliers are canvassing a future without the company and speeding up restructuring and diversification. The managing director of Axion Precision Engineers, Jim Grose, said more suppliers would go to the wall if Ford closed.

He supplies parts to both Ford and Ford performance vehicles. “A lot of companies don’t know how they are going to survive,” Mr Grose said. “Things are going to get tighter and tighter. You need a certain level of turnover to make your company viable.”

Receivers McGrathNicol this week announced CMI Industrial would close two components plants with the loss of 119 jobs.

Diver Consolidated Industries chief executive Jim Griffin said he was rapidly restructuring his business after winning contracts to provide automotive heat shields to BMW. “But not everyone can do it,” he said. “You need to have enough working capital.”

PPB’s Mr Longley suggested the federal government could modify a scheme that guarantees employee redundancy benefits after companies collapse. Funding before collapse could be used for restructuring that would save jobs and businesses.

Economist Nicholas Gruen, who helped write the government’s original car plan, said Ford was doing a “Mitsubishi shuffle”.

“Their global parents are not really thinking of their Australian operations as any important part of their global strategy,” he said.

With the latest cutbacks, Ford production is 148 cars a day – about twice Mitsubishi’s before it closed.

In Mitsubishi’s final days, South Australian government funds came with the promise they would be paid back if the company closed. However, it is understood no guarantee was obtained by the federal or Victorian government when they last backed Ford.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »
Couldn't pay me enough to be a cabbie...
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/taxi-driver-stabbed-to-death-man-incinerated-in-suburban-tragedy-20120801-23dp1.html
Not a criticism, just curious, but there seems to be a lot of black coat wearing detectives there.  Why so many?

LJ