Author Topic: Trip gear requirements  (Read 7301 times)

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
Trip gear requirements
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
Hi Guys
This will be a first trip of any duration.
Just would like a bit of guidance to budget additional upgrades.
Current setup
new Narava diesel 4wd standard tryes.Cub CT semi offroad standard tyes (will replace with light truck )
2nd battery with Redarc  BCDC charger  Recovery gear, compressor, and maxi tracks. Propossed additions UHf radio ,bull bar.
What additional upgrades are neccessary and what would be desireable,all advice is most welcome as I don't want to be a problem.

Jeff

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Trip gear requirements
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »
You have covered just about everything you need.

AT tyres for both car and camper are a must, a UHF is mandatory so you know what's going on, and a bulbar offers peace of mind.

A fridge in the back is a nice luxury when at lunch time you can pull up and get a cold drink out of the back and anything cold you may want for lunch too.

Something to think about would be an upgraded suspension system for some of the more corrugated roads (day 3 especially).

You will also need your own 1st aid kit, although this is not really a mod, just a good thing to have.

No one should think that they may be a problem - even the best set up vehicle could have some sort of an issue with it, and in any event where that happens there will be people to help.  This is a MySwag trip, not Top Gear.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:34:00 PM by JKohn »

Offline fridayman

• Tent User
    • TRIP TALES
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
As a rule we don't drive at night, but we have been caught out twice now. Both times the HID driving lights saved an almost certain roo strike, and one of them was a big'un and a bullbar only gives limited protection - always best to avoid the hit in the first place.

If you have a snorkel, I strongly recommend a Unifilter snorkel sock/insert/cover. Especially if you are going to drive in convoy in dirt roads.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
Hi Guys
This will be a first trip of any duration.
When you say 1st trip of any duration , where are you off to  ???, how long are you going to be there   ???& are you traveling alone . Let us know your plans of travel for better feed back  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »
Thanks guys
What sort of Suspension upgrade would you recommend JKohn?
First aid kit a must, thanks.

Hadn't thought of a snorkel ,I figured I would only need one for water crossings.

speewa158 I am gearing up for the My Swag Red Centre trip.
Thanks for input .
Jeff 

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
watching with interest....
very handy thread thank you Thommo and repliers
Linda & Kristin
Prado & Aussie jay camper
Melbourne

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »
l have spent 3 1/5 years touring Oz in a 77LX Torana . Three on the tree with a 173 Red  straight 6 motor .

Don't ever try to tell me you cant do said same with anything less . Better is good . ;D
lts your call from there .
Always remember its not the size of the dog in the fight             ,           its the size of the fight  in the Dog  .
                                    & that's the bottom line
                                 Go out there & do it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,& return with the story to tell the tail with a Big Wag
                                                                                       :cheers:

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 09:43:17 PM »
l have spent 3 1/5 years touring Oz in a 77LX Torana . Three on the tree with a 173 Red  straight 6 motor .

Don't ever try to tell me you cant do said same with anything less . Better is good . ;D

this reminds me of when I was younger and braver and I quit my job and toured SA, WA and NT for 3 months in my little red ford laser, just took a little two man tent to sleep in and a gas bottle with burner to cook on.
though in saying that I know if one of my girls decided to do the same on their own now I would be worried sick lol
But I had the time of my life and learnt  a lot and came back with a confidence I never had before.
Linda & Kristin
Prado & Aussie jay camper
Melbourne

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 07:34:01 AM »
As others have said too.

LT spec AT tyres is a must.

Bullbar is cheap insurance and makes fitting lights and uhf whip easy.

Driving lights are worth it long term.  $200 Narva's will do the job 90% of the time, but brighter ($$$) is always better!

UHF is a must. Even if driving solo, passing someone (truck or caravan) is so much easier when you can talk to them.

Snorkel.  If your not doing any water crossings, it's not really mandatory, BUT! it's super cheap insurance on a diesel.

Suspension.  Unless your after a lift, plusher ride, or increased load, it's not really required.  However upgrading the shocks from the factory ones should be a must. 

Luxury extras. Maybe a canopy on the tub to increase storage, Fridge in the back, drawer system?  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

One thing I'd look at is your camper.  You said it was a semi offroad?  What type of suspension is it?  Might be worth looking at upgrading the springs to something that will cope with corrugations better? ie. offroad 'rebound' springs.

Happy spending!

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 11:00:57 AM »
Thanks kylarama.
I do not have much knowledge about shocks what would suggest?
Is the snorkel advisable because of the dust issue?
I had better look into the tyres ,shame cause the current ones are only new ,but so be it.
Will talk to Cub re springs.
Thanks
Jeff

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
Which Cub do you have & what type of suspension are you running  ???

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
Thanks kylarama.
I do not have much knowledge about shocks what would suggest?
Is the snorkel advisable because of the dust issue?
I had better look into the tyres ,shame cause the current ones are only new ,but so be it.
Will talk to Cub re springs.
Thanks
Jeff

I ran Munroe gas Magnums on a stock Hilux for a 20,000km trip (heaps of corrugations) with no issues.  Suited my need and budget, but there is a lot better out there.  I'm sure other D40 owners can recommend something.

Snorkel.  Water ingestion in a running diesel is usually fatal (lots of bendy bendy!).  You may not be intending to do water crossings, but if you come across one at least your prepared.  If your 100% sure you'll never encounter water, then maybe don't.  Your air filter usually ends up worse with a snorkel on dusty roads in convoy.

Got any pics of your Cub's suspension?

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
The Cub is a Supamatic fitted with the Trans Pac upgrade .
This includes longer and stronger drawbar ,stronger springs ,14'light truck tyres, reinforced chassis, heavy duty tensile axle and steel water tank protector.
Thanks for all your responsesand info.
Jeff

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
Attached a photo of suspension of the Camper ,not great quality.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:43:58 PM by thommo19 »

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »
Attached a photo of suspension of the Camper ,not great quality.

Slipper springs.  How much of this trip is on dirt roads?  If it's minimal, you probably will be okay, just pack breakables well!  If it's a bit and you plan on doing more in the future, I'd personally look at a spring upgrade.  eye to eye rebound springs would offer a more compliant ride over corrugations.  Maybe also go up slightly in tyre size for a bit more ground clearance?

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 07:12:47 PM »
Personally I think the slipper springs are fine. Lots of reputable manufacturers use them including Aussie Swag. My 12 year old AS has slippers and they have been everywhere, including a complete lap (not with me unfortunately). What I would suggest though is to get some shock absorbers fitted. They help tremendously.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline StevenB

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
did Flinders ranges, up the Birdsville track and home via Innamincka on the stock patrol suspension (polyairs in the rear) running on Yokohama Geolanders AT-S (they don't do LTs in these unfortunately). punctured 2 tyres due to not checking the pressures religiously. Hoping to do the suspension and new wheels/tyres (16" and 265/75R16 LTs) for this trip as we'll have 75k kms on the patrol by then. Not sure that the suspension is critical to do.

I would look at getting a set of rims and tyres that match the Nav so you can use them as spares in an emergency.
2015 LC200 GXl with KDSS
2017 Drifta DOT6 DOT216 "Blue DOT"

Offline Wazza2

• Tent User
  • Campfires rule!
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
I agree re the shocks - get some fitted if you can. Having now done 2/3 of our lap, the bit with the worst roads, I can say it would have been completely different trip thus far if the trailer didn't have shocks. Amongs other things, over corrugations shocks really do help keep those wheels in contact with the road

Not sure on the option for bigger wheels, be nice if you could. We have 16" and found them pretty good as the trailer seems to roll over the rough stuff in similar fashion to the car.

Snorkel - yes good for getting the air intake up a bit further away from the dust. As mentioned, If in convoy this may be negated though. Advantage is that you can run a prefilter on the snorkel though which is usually easy to clean and saves going through expensive air filters too quick.

How will you charge that 2nd battery if you're not driving on the day? Maybe a solar panel to assist on those days would help?

Have we helped you spend enough extra $$ yet :)

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
Thanks guys all this is valuable info. Just have to work out what mods I will do.
Thanks again for the input.
Jeff

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »
Just wondering about tyres on the CT for the trip. The current tyres are LT construction, but a highway tread pattern, with probably about 70-80% tread on them.
So, are A/T's really needed on the CT, given that they do not provide any "drive"? Should I be thinking of swapping them over for A/T's?
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 12:13:47 PM »
The fact that they are LT is the most important thing - the tread pattern won't matter.

Offline StevenB

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
I would only change them if they weren't the same size as my 4WD tyres
2015 LC200 GXl with KDSS

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
The fact that they are LT is the most important thing - the tread pattern won't matter.

Thanks John

I would only change them if they weren't the same size as my 4WD tyres

Thanks mate.They're not the same size atm. 15" vs 17" rims and different stud patterns. I can certainly see the merit in matching the wheels of the CT to the tug, but its low down on the to-do list! I have 2 spares each for the trailer and tug, hopefully won't need them!
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline StevenB

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 12:09:35 PM »
I didn't either for the Flinders trip I did last year. Since then swapped the stud pattern on the trailer to match the patrol. Still only 16s on trailer and 17 on the patrol but I'm working on that

2015 LC200 GXl with KDSS