Author Topic: Batten Down the Hatches - Australia wide  (Read 162678 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
Re: Batten Down the Hatches - Australia wide
« Reply #425 on: December 21, 2018, 05:09:01 PM »
we're about to get a hit I think...
We are sort of between Coominya and Gatton.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar/qld/brisbane/128km
Hang in there mate

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #426 on: December 21, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »
I'm not sure where it is, the radar has said it should be howling any second, for about 20 minutes.

Might've picked up a flat tyre on the way.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:02:24 PM by Jeepers Creepers »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #427 on: December 21, 2018, 05:54:23 PM »
Sheeeesh, on a Friday arvo.
You have all the luck

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #428 on: December 21, 2018, 06:03:35 PM »
So far, it hasn't even wet the roof. we seem to be right on the edge of it all.

Looks like Boonah would've copped it.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #429 on: December 21, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »
Not much come of it here,
Grafton got hail, as did Coutts Crossing.Woodford Island.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #430 on: December 21, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »
So far, it hasn't even wet the roof. we seem to be right on the edge of it all.

Looks like Boonah would've copped it.
of much rain in any of this...read someone out Warwick way saying very little rain fell there, and we’ve had 2 lines come through now and I doubt have registered anything in our rain gauge yet
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #431 on: December 22, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »
Just had a woolly one rip through the Border Ranges Tweed area to our South that we just caught the edge of, Hail ranging from pea size to palm size  clumps, few trees / branches down in the area / power out in places . Cooled it down a bit though ..
Another small  line of storms following it headed for the TwinTowns Border just starting to drop some hefty drops  now .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #432 on: December 22, 2018, 03:30:49 PM »
Some of the footage shown on the tv in the past few days has been frightening, would hate to be caught out in one of those hail storms, the damage done to buildings and cars is just crazy, hate to think what it would do to a person.
Stay safe.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Wukkers

• Tent User
« Reply #433 on: December 22, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »
Two mls (perspiration) in the gauge here in Perth, just hit 40.6c

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #435 on: December 22, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »
thank god its summer

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/second-wave-of-severe-thunderstorms-to-hit-south-east-queensland-20181222-p50nwi.html
Is this normal for the east?
I think we are lucky here in the west. Its (mainly) hot and dry in summer and mild and wet(ok maybe a bit damp) in winter.
Forget the spin, are things really changing or is it just a cycle for you poor mugs?

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #436 on: December 22, 2018, 10:52:52 PM »
Completely normal weather for this time of year Glenn . Taking into account the verbal passing down of info from my grand parents / dad etc since the late 1800's for our area at least .
Though the Sky is falling, world is ending climate change, every storm is an evil anti humanity hunter killer Super cell,  once in a hundred year event mobs / media do their best to sensationalise it ..  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:59:59 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #437 on: December 23, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »
Finally got home after 6 hours of delays and after watching some of the footage from other parts of the city this afternoon I can see there was some severe hail around the area this evening.
But in my defense at the time I posted the airport had been shut for over an hour and there was absolutely nothing, like seriously nothing, anywhere around the terminal or tarmac. The sun had been out the whole time.

The second storm that shut the airport did dump a bit of rain and the 3rd storm that hit after we had boarded the plane was nothing major, but still had us locked in the plane for another hour and a half. I landed several times in much more serious weather then anything that hit the airport tonight.

The first shutdown was an overreaction from the airport and my rant was perhaps a little too harsh, but was just from frustration about not being able to get out of that grubby city and missing out on the family dinner my kids had prepared for me tonight. Walking in the house at midnight was not the happy early Christmas dinner that we had planned. But at least I got home. ;)

Pete79,

I was an engineer at the red rat for 20+ years and the airport shutdowns for storms may seem to be an over reaction but the reasons for shutdowns are not for the flights safety in most cases it is actually the safety of those on the ground. Airports are large expanses of flat ground with lots and lots of lightning arrestors.

A good example in the youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoyP3GYkpxs

I cant recall the exact limitations but if I recall it was a shutdown if a storm was within 5 Nm and this would stay in place until it was greater than 10 Nm away. The storms on Thursday afternoon in Sydney were in pockets and it would have easily been easily the case that the initial storm was gone but others were within the 10Nm limit.

I actually had times where the airport was shut down at the end of my shift and I could not go home, the airside of the airport is in full lock down, no one in no one out.
Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Mars Camper Surveyor

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2018, 06:43:32 AM »
Is this normal for the east?
I think we are lucky here in the west. Its (mainly) hot and dry in summer and mild and wet(ok maybe a bit damp) in winter.
Forget the spin, are things really changing or is it just a cycle for you poor mugs?

Cheers Glen
completely agree with what Edz said.....these storms are nothing new for here, i can recall as a kid over 30 years ago when a big hail storm took out all the caryards in Moorooka, which is right near where I grew up and now live near again these days. That storm tracked inland from the Gold Coast / South up to here, normally our storms come from the West and then split to hit South of North of where I live and we miss 99.9% of the bad stuff.....4 years ago we had a big storm track inland up from The Goldy again, the hail from it took out some of our front windows and did big damage to some of Moorooka and huge damage to the next suburb over from it...so very similar storm to what happened over 30 years beforehand. We've also had a tornado come through our suburb probably near 40 years ago, it cut a path through Toohey Forest and took the first floor off a unit complex across the road from the local pub...not something you here of happening in Brisbane or South East Queensland really, but it does happen occasionally....big hail storms and Summer storms though are nothing new.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #439 on: December 23, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »
I agree with Edz and RP, the storms of today are no worse than 40 years ago just there are more accurate measuring devises and more of them, oh we had another 50 to 70mm last night out of a storm I just got home from fishing,  Craig 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:55:32 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #440 on: December 23, 2018, 07:15:27 AM »
Pete79,

I was an engineer at the red rat for 20+ years and the airport shutdowns for storms may seem to be an over reaction but the reasons for shutdowns are not for the flights safety in most cases it is actually the safety of those on the ground. Airports are large expanses of flat ground with lots and lots of lightning arrestors.

A good example in the youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoyP3GYkpxs

I cant recall the exact limitations but if I recall it was a shutdown if a storm was within 5 Nm and this would stay in place until it was greater than 10 Nm away. The storms on Thursday afternoon in Sydney were in pockets and it would have easily been easily the case that the initial storm was gone but others were within the 10Nm limit.

I actually had times where the airport was shut down at the end of my shift and I could not go home, the airside of the airport is in full lock down, no one in no one out.
Cheers mate.
Good to know the facts about it all.

In truth I regret that moment of posting in frustration, there was some serious storms that afternoon and I have massive respect for that side of Mother Nature.
It had been a crappy day to end a crappy week, I was stuck in Sydney when I just wanted to be with my family preparing for our big trip over the break. I was just venting in the moment.

Sydney airport is one constant disruption to the Australian aviation network, the vast majority of delays in all of our major cities are caused by Sydney.
On that particular day I was just over it. I was watching the radar and saw the storm passing over the NW of the city and commented to my colleague I bet they shut down the airport and sure enough in about 30 seconds it was locked down.

The later rounds of storms that afternoon most definitely justified closing the airport, but the first hour and a half appeared to be just another frustrating Sydney delay.

Anyway, we’re thousands of km away from Sydney now and only another 900km left to drive today then I’ll be hooking into 10 days of solid fishing, can be assured Sydney airport will be the last thing on my mind... ;)

We were treated to an awesome lightning show while sitting on the balcony of our hotel room in Rockhampton last night.

The following users thanked this post: grmas1

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #441 on: December 23, 2018, 07:17:53 AM »
Certainly was a good one with some of the biggest hail stones I had seen in quite a while. Going up on the roof of the house today to check for cracked tiles and smashed solar panels.
Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Mars Camper Surveyor

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #442 on: December 23, 2018, 07:26:02 AM »
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:27:22 PM by macca »

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #443 on: December 23, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
Yep, like the others have said, the last few years things have gone back to how they were in the 60s - 70s - about 3 days a week during Summer, you'd get a ripper of a storm at 3pm (just as the kids got out of school >:D), which would clear away to a beautiful cool evening, just right for a barbie 8) :cheers:

Now, it's OMG we're all doooooooomed! :o ::) ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson, grmas1

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #444 on: January 03, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »
and 49 somewhere just west of Adelaide they were talkin about this morning on the nooz...  Thats some hot Shit right there... you'd stand no chance in a fire.

Temperatures are set to soar across South Australia — but the uncomfortable conditions are not expected to last.

The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast a top of 41C in Adelaide on Thursday.

Temperatures in the state’s north will push into the mid-to-high 40s with Oak Valley tipped to have a top of 49C and Oodnadatta 47C.

The bureau says a cooler change will move through on Friday morning.

Adelaide should have a top of 35C on Friday with the mercury dipping to the mid-20s for both Saturday and Sunday.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:13:55 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #445 on: January 03, 2019, 10:16:08 AM »
Oak Valley has been hotter before, it's part of the Maralinga Aboriginal Lands.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #446 on: January 03, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
The next 3 or 4 days  down South  will nasty Hot 40+ windy  , dry with wind changes late in the day .
Strike teams are being mustered all over the state on ready to go . This could be Nasty  .
Anybody out there be careful , know where you are in relation to any threat  .
                       Be Safe  Swaggers                                         :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #447 on: January 04, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »
The next 3 or 4 days  down South  will nasty Hot 40+ windy  , dry with wind changes late in the day .
Strike teams are being mustered all over the state on ready to go . This could be Nasty  .
Anybody out there be careful , know where you are in relation to any threat  .
                       Be Safe  Swaggers                                         :cheers:
I think the late arvo storms with lightning threat later will really fcuk things up too :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #448 on: January 04, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »
Having lived in the top end and fnq for many years, cyclones are a part of our routine weather.  People often comment about our build up heat and humidity.  Naturally most say they would be worried about a cyclone. One thing I know for sure...no way in hell would I move to SE Qld!  The unpredictable and violent weather is ridiculous.  Every month it seems to be that some sort of abnormal weather pattern is causing havoc in the region.  I,ll take the general stability with the occasional excitement of a cyclone any day.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #449 on: January 04, 2019, 09:40:37 AM »
Its the same in SEQ as anywhere up north cut down any big trees that will reach your house and sheds, build your house or sheds stronger than they say, The storms we have in SEQ only get to around 200ks max so build stronger than that it mite cost a few bucks more but pays off in the long run, Simples 
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer