Author Topic: It was good while it lasted  (Read 3945 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
It was good while it lasted
« on: July 02, 2019, 06:56:14 PM »
Slowly but surely the noose is tightening-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/ownership/australia-say-goodbye-to-your-driving-freedom/ar-AADGfIx
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: It was good while it lasted
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 07:11:18 PM »
but what will be the mandatory speed limit?
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline fc_holden

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 08:28:28 PM »
Interesting that a Vic government department, TAC, can regulate that all new cars sold in Oz will have these things fitted, surely they can suggest and get the commonwealth on side but can’t say what the whole country must do?
Live One Day At A Time For Tomorrow May Never Come, Homemade camper trailer with roof top tent, 2014 Landcruiser 200 series Altitude and Coromal 611 caravan

[img width=50 height=33]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/tuggeranong/Southern%20Glen%20Helen%20Gorge/DSC_2219-2.jpg[/im

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 09:04:17 PM »
I seriously doubt it would be up to the TAC alone to dictate what would have to require changes to the ADRs.

Another example of needing to balance the right of one group to choose whether or not they break the law vs the right of another group to expect they wont be killed by someone speeding or drink/drug driver.

Many major companies now fit their vehicles with systems to monitor the behaviour of employees. So rather than restricting vehicle speeds, why don’t we just make monitoring systems mandatory in all vehicles? Means those who want to speed can do so but they also know there will be consequences.

My next door neighbour was killed in a car accident when I was a kid, so I am a bit passionate about this. Her mum and dad never really got over it, her mum died young and her dad ended up committing suicide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:04 PM »
Pretty safe wheels can't get the first fact right.
TAC is Transport Accident Commission, not Traffic...

Victoria mandated vehicle immobilisers, years ago and they ADR followed.
Can't see why it couldn't happen again.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 10:35:14 PM »
The fundamental problem that isn't going to be addressed in this legislation is the age of the Australian fleet; for example, in the UK we ran cars that were no more than 7 years old when we bought them (and the oldest was 10 when it came off the road). Here? 1978 Land Cruiser, 1992 4Runner, 1992 Yam XT600, 2007 Yam WR250 - and in all honesty, those were about the same price as we paid for any of our 7 year old cars.

Whilst this is going to take effect, looking at the age of the vehicle fleet it'll take about 10 - 15 years for it to start to make an impact.

There are a number of other things that need to be addressed, and might avoid this all together:
1) Making it harder for inexperienced drivers to get into large, (relatively) fast cars that are RWD
2) Annual road worthy inspections for all States for vehicles over 5 years old (UK was 3 yrs, but corrosion is often more of a problem)
3) Street furniture and infrastructure needs to be designed to be more friendly in an impact, rather than solid and immovable (requiring the above Falcon/Commodore to bend around it, reducing the space in the cab for the occupants).

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 10:36:34 PM »
Good luck getting that crap to work on the car Id be driving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXFo1V4p1To     ;D ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 11:23:49 PM »
 A lot of trucks have the black box fitted monitoring speed, rpm, rest breaks etc. The company I drive for even has a camera facing the driver. Also by law every heavy vehicle must be fitted with a speed limiter. With all the monitoring going on with cameras, log books and black boxes, it is way easier to find fault with the truck driver involved in an accident regardless if it was caused by another road user.
Reckon it'd  be alright to have cars fitted with all that if only to prove it's  not always the truck driver at fault.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 06:32:28 AM »

2) Annual road worthy inspections for all States for vehicles over 5 years old (UK was 3 yrs, but corrosion is often more of a problem)
3) Street furniture and infrastructure needs to be designed to be more friendly in an impact, rather than solid and immovable (requiring the above Falcon/Commodore to bend around it, reducing the space in the cab for the occupants).

Sorry but totally disagree with number 2. How many serious crashes are caused by defective vehicles? Has the number of serious crashes in NSW reduced since introduction of yearly road worthy certs?
And in 3 not sure if you are having a go or not?  And just because the UK does things a certain way, here things are very different. Driver's attitudes for example. Found drivers over there a lot better then us here. 

Re black boxes in cars. The data gathered from recorders in trucks that have been involved in serious crashes have been invaluable in pin pointing causes, so in cars surely that would be a good thing. Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 06:59:25 AM »
A lot of trucks have the black box fitted monitoring speed, rpm, rest breaks etc. The company I drive for even has a camera facing the driver. Also by law every heavy vehicle must be fitted with a speed limiter. With all the monitoring going on with cameras, log books and black boxes, it is way easier to find fault with the truck driver involved in an accident regardless if it was caused by another road user.
Reckon it'd  be alright to have cars fitted with all that if only to prove it's  not always the truck driver at fault.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Sorry but totally disagree with number 2. How many serious crashes are caused by defective vehicles? Has the number of serious crashes in NSW reduced since introduction of yearly road worthy certs?
And in 3 not sure if you are having a go or not?  And just because the UK does things a certain way, here things are very different. Driver's attitudes for example. Found drivers over there a lot better then us here. 

Re black boxes in cars. The data gathered from recorders in trucks that have been involved in serious crashes have been invaluable in pin pointing causes, so in cars surely that would be a good thing. Kevin

I agree  with you a 100% UK drivers are far better than here. But paddler has a point with 2 the authorities have to stop putting power poles on the edge of roads etc .
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 07:17:08 AM »
Many years ago (long before the ‘cash for clunkers’ deal) there was a horrible run of young people getting killed in crashes involving older car (HJ utes, XF sedans, etc).
There was an argument put forward from the safety mobs that it was the lack of safety features in these vehicles that caused the fatalities and they were generally cheaper which was why younger people often owned them.

I read an article at the time with a counter argument that when you looked at the specific details and not just the numbers, actually the most of the accidents where on rural and regional roads with poorly maintained road surfaces and the vast majority of deaths were caused by hitting trees and poles and other infrastructure too close to the road shoulder.

This was statistically proven, but quickly shot down by all of the ones that had to spend money to fix the actual problems.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 11:56:34 AM »
" but fresh news that drug and alcohol detectors will also be installed spells the end for vehicular privacy."

Whats the problem with that? I reckon thats a brilliant step....

... as for speed limiters, they lasted about 3 days at the yard I used to drive out of years back.

They need to focus on
- Shit condition roads ... seems Melbourne in recent times has spent millions on signs instead of fixing roads.. much easier to stick one of these out.. they pop up faster than 13yr olds todger seeing his first tit.

- Shit drivers... MASSIVE issue.

- Train people to drive, not how to pass a test.. I work in an area of ... new australians with 1 person in teh family getting the license for 10-100 other family members...
You take your life in your hands driving within 20klms of Box Hill.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »

More the regular UK style of MOT testing pushes cars, that whilst still functional might not be at peak performance, particularly when there is an emissions test included - this actually is the death for many cars at about 6-8 years old as the emissions (bad O2 sensors, fouled plugs, dead cats etc) are too high to pass. Therefore, they are often BER and off the road they go, leaving a much younger fleet on the road. Whilst the mechanical condition of the vehicle is probably a minor factor, anything that keeps people moving to safer, more modern vehicles is a good thing.

Hitting a deform-able object (or being in a deform-able object) is a much better option for survivability than hitting something that is solid; many road signs in the UK are mounted on lattice poles instead of a single pole, so the pole folds more easily when it's hit.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »
There's a few more million out of work.
Every performance place and associated businesses will shut down, car mod places etc... gone.

Its just another step to booting us into these tasteless Shitheaps
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 05:57:08 PM »
 ;D ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 07:26:40 PM »

This was statistically proven, but quickly shot down by all of the ones that had to spend money to fix the actual problems.

But Pete we know we can make statistics suit any argument.
 eg 100% of farmers killed in quad bike accidents were wearing pants, so if that is the case surely it should be illegal for farmers to wear pants when riding the quad bike. It’s obvious that the pants must be the cause of the accidents.😀

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
Talking to a mate at BMW on this last night he was saying their cars have the technology with cameras to read the speed signs - and have manually switched speed limiter.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »
BMW are doing some interesting things in technology see below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cKLOlExtTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tUWYXe9qbY
Regards,

Wilson79