Author Topic: Important reminder - check your tyres  (Read 2263 times)

Offline matthecat

• Swag User
Important reminder - check your tyres
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:10:14 AM »
Hi all,
In preparation for a trip up to Coral Bay for the school holidays had the wheels off the camper trailer to check suspension, bearings etc.
The camper trailer was bought pre-loved so don't have a full understanding of its maintenance history. 
The tyres had full tread on them however felt quite brittle so hunted for the manufacture date (a 4 digit code - with first 2 digits representing week of year and last 2 digits representing year of manufacture). They were old - 2605 (14 years old).
On closer inspection there was a clear crack on the running surface and when put on the tyre "taking off machine" at the local tyre shop the tread basically cracked away from the body of the tyre.
I don't think they would have survived the 13 hour trip.
Being able to get new tyres when it suited me, at Perth prices, no damage done to trailer from delaminating tread and not being stuck on the side of the road was a huge bonus.
If not part of your pre-trip routine have a think about making it something you do.
Regards & safe travels.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Important reminder - check your tyres
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 09:12:48 AM »
Good pickup

Most tyres will last only around 6 years. Trailer tyres even less unless they are used almost weekly as the carbon black compound in the tyre that gives it its flexibility goes hard when not used
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
Re: Important reminder - check your tyres
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
Yep, very valid reminder.

Ironically, I passed the same information onto someone when we headed to Coral Bay for a few weeks many years ago. The boat trailer tyres were ancient. One tyre let go just out of Dongara, and the spare was put on, which lasted 2km before blowing. Ended up having to drive to Geraldton to get new tyres, then back to the trailer, then continue the journey.

A 12 hour trip to Coral bay became an 18 hour one!

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia