Author Topic: old school exercise equipment or they just don't make stuff like they used to  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
checking out how big the old guts getting
and decided i should get a bit more exercise
both of these were bolted to the back fence for the last 8-10 years (garden ornaments) 
so got them off to clean them up and start using them to mow the lawn
bit more effort to use them = exercise
well blow me down. from the fence to the lawn and started using them straight away
this got me thinking about how good the quality was then compared to all the new crap that we get off the shelf now.
even parts like hand grips and plastic parts are in good order. i mean i can't believe that they still work and work well
after sitting in the garden for so long. blows my mind.
now i just have to wait for the kids to lose interest in using them, so i can get that exercise i was talking about.
i still have the petrol mower just in case but it lives in the shed as it wouldn't last 5 minutes outside in the weather

:cheers:
Adam
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Ahh the memories, Ye Olde push mower, Round and round my Nanna's yard once a week for the princely sum of 60c and few cold glasses of cherry cheer and home made cakes  [ Nanna had the mower type in the bottom pic ] ... Still remember the paces it took across the frontage, 45 across the front and roughly 50 down the sides ..
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:57:25 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: Green rv

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
tell you what, if i give the boy $2 to mow the yard he can sublet the job out to you for 60c  ;D

the top one cut the grass a lot better ATM
but will adjust the cutting blade and she should be good as
checking it out on the weekend it doesn't have as much height adjustment as the red and green unit (in top pic)
it's not too bad down the back yard but the top and side yard is sir walter and its cut is a bit low for what i like
sure work up a sweet though

Adam

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
They are both scissor type mowers mainly used for "dressing" cut lawn. Horizontal blade type are the main cut type.

If your lawn is maintained and only giving it a "trim" say religiously every week or 4-5 days, they should be fine. if it's long, the ye ole petrol mower would have to come out.

If you have a look at golf putting greens and bowling greens, they are done with "scissor" type where as fairways, footy/cricket ovals are done with the horizontal rotary.

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Speewa hasn't even upgraded to this model yet... he hasn't even seen something so modern!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
They are both scissor type mowers mainly used for "dressing" cut lawn. Horizontal blade type are the main cut type.

If your lawn is maintained and only giving it a "trim" say religiously every week or 4-5 days, they should be fine. if it's long, the ye ole petrol mower would have to come out.

If you have a look at golf putting greens and bowling greens, they are done with "scissor" type where as fairways, footy/cricket ovals are done with the horizontal rotary.

thanks Doc
im mainly using them for the top part of the yard
or the sports practice end of the yard soccer seasons done and dusted
but cricket has now started
mowed in a nice pitch for bowling getting better bounce and spinners already 
over the next few mows i will see if i can get it a bit shorter
down the other side of the yard i have a grass deck that we play lawn bowls on (with miniature bowls)
we call it valawn bowls, short for veranda bowls ;D
it's also getting the treatment, come up well but still working on some dirt patches

Adam
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:57:11 PM by Green rv »

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
thanks Doc
im mainly using them for the top part of the yard
or the sports practice end of the yard soccer seasons done and dusted
but cricket has now started
mowed in a nice pitch for bowling getting better bounce and spinners already 
over the next few mows i will see if i can get it a bit shorter
down the other side of the yard i have a grass deck that we play lawn bowls on (with miniature bowls)
we call it valawn bowls, short for veranda bowls ;D
it's also getting the treatment, come up well but still working on some dirt patches

Adam

No worries, Mate works at a turf farm in WA. Learnt a thing or 2 about the lawn.
Just watch using the scissor type on dirt/branches etc. they are a prick to sharpen/maintain an edge.

Surprised our lawnmower man form up north hasn't jumped in with his 2 bobs worth  ;D ;D ;D
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Many moons ago after a few years of living in apartments and unit blocks on the Gold Coast I had no gardening tools at all, then we rented a place that actually had a bit of yard to maintain.
The old bloke next door insisted I borrow his mower to do the grass, but I needed something to do all of the edging.

I picked up one of these old school edgers from our local lifeline for a couple of dollars and gave myself some awesome blisters.

When we eventually moved to another place that had a much bigger yard I needed to by proper lawn tools, so I gave the old edger back to lifeline for someone else to give themselves a mean set of caluses like i had.  :laugh:

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER

I picked up one of these old school edgers from our local lifeline for a couple of dollars and gave myself some awesome blisters.

thanks for the heads up i will stick with the whipper snipper to do the edges
surprising how much closer these get to the edge compared to the petrol unit

No worries, Mate works at a turf farm in WA. Learnt a thing or 2 about the lawn.
Just watch using the scissor type on dirt/branches etc. they are a prick to sharpen/maintain an edge.
would love to clean and sharpen the better one up, to get a better finish but not bad for something i took down from the fence

Surprised our lawnmower man form up north hasn't jumped in with his 2 bobs worth  ;D ;D ;D hmmm might not know what it is ;D ;D

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
 I though I was going to see photos of old school playground exercise equipment. I can remember there being galv 1" pipe being welded into triangle frames that you could stack to make a bigger frame that were used as adventure climbing frames complete withOUT rubber underlay matting.
Then there was the metal slippery dip, the rotating round-about . Times where simpler then.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
old school exercise equipment or they just don't make stuff like they used to
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:20:39 PM »
Then there was the metal slippery dip,
Weren't they an awesome idea for those kids that grew up in the tropics..... :)

Let's throw a strip of polished stainless steel out in the middle of an open a grassy field and let it get nicely preheated all day. Won't those kids who never wear shoes or shirts have fun sliding down that when they get home from school every afternoon.... :)

I still have to smile every time I see the metal skate ramps out behind Cairns (pretty sure they're in Mareeba). I can't help but think how much the local kids must love that place when it's 40+ degrees outside.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:24:50 PM by Pete79 »

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
I though I was going to see photos of old school playground exercise equipment. I can remember there being galv 1" pipe being welded into triangle frames that you could stack to make a bigger frame that were used as adventure climbing frames complete withOUT rubber underlay matting.
Then there was the metal slippery dip, the rotating round-about . Times where simpler then.

i'm not exactly sure but think it was Indooroopilly Shopping Centre had a big rocket shaped climbing thing made out of 2" pipe
i was only a young fella back then but from memory it was 2-3 stories high, no soft fall or any safety stuff around.
there was proberbly one of those slides there too but can only remember the rocket and how cool it was to climb to the very top

Adam 

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Surprised our lawnmower man form up north hasn't jumped in with his 2 bobs worth  ;D ;D ;D

if you cant sit on it and make "VROOM-VROOM" noises.............he ain't interested  ;D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
if you cant sit on it and make "VROOM-VROOM" noises.............he ain't interested  ;D

So he's a barbie doll jeep kinda guy then eh  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
well the exercise machine is going well so far
hand mowed the yard 3 times in 5 days
the cricket pitch is getting nice and firm and starting to get some nice bounce
which is good as boy wonder finds it hard to hit bouncers and spinners
but hits a full toss out of the yard (six and out)

Adam