Author Topic: Kimberley Karavan - Seeking owner feedback  (Read 31805 times)

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
Re: Kimberley Karavan - Seeking owner feedback
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
So out of all the above Kimberly haters one person knows a person that had issues with a with a Kimberly Karavan and it's not that I don't believe your mate had issues but it's one out of thousands.
I have a Kimberly Kamper serial 5778 it's 2012 model can the only thing that failed on it was the fridge slide and trailer plugs getting ripped of by rocks.
I have heard of the a stub axel failing in very early models but most stories always start with my mate had this or that fail on his Kimberly and that there **** and would never buy one.
I always tell them they can't be that **** if there sold over 6000 Kampers.
I would hazard a guess that there more Kimberley Kampers  floating around Aus that any other brand of camper.
Normally when there a issue with a product it the owner that makes the most noise about there issues.
Kimberly have installed heat stickers on the Fox Shocks to help inform them if you have over heated them. The only way I could see some one over heating them on a Kamper would be gross overloading like 4.5m boat with a 25 horse outboard and running very high tyre pressure on rough roads and not driving to the conditions.
The only reason Kimberley tell you not to run 10ply tyres is that there a over kill and they can contribute to suspension overheating or damage.
How many other camper manufactures have ever tested there campers with more than one type of tyre. Kimberly also tell you not to fit 19 tyres as it's over heats the shocks and the lack of side wall makes a big difference.

Whose a hater? I own one, and thought most of the above posts were a sensible discussion with some tongue in cheek jibes. Lighten up.

They are a great Kamper and when I upgrade it will be to another. All brands have their issues however.

Jas

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »

Whose a hater? I own one, and thought most of the above posts were a sensible discussion with some tongue in cheek jibes. Lighten up.

They are a great Kamper and when I upgrade it will be to another. All brands have their issues however.

Jas

bugger it. ill be a hater just so there is someone. pick me pick me :cup: :cup:

geez those kimberlys are crap, you would never own 1 of them ;D ;D
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »
bugger it. ill be a hater just so there is someone. pick me pick me :cup: :cup:

geez those kimberlys are crap, you would never own 1 of them ;D ;D

Your not a genuine 'hater' so your statement makes me feel cheated.

:'(
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Coiled

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
This has seen more post activity than expected sadly with little acknowledging the information sought. While on the bandwagon, the biggest issue I have been able to identify is failures with the lifting mechanism of the Karavan. This was resolved in around 2009/2010 with a redesign that drop the lift load considerably. 

Chester - Thanks for your input. Were you using the shower screen? I was concerned about this aspect but would knowing the floor is all fully sealed it is easily wiped up. I think I will still use the external shower tent except in caravan parks but will be handy for showering the kids out of the cold.

HKB - Thanks for the feedback. Are you able to shed any further light on this ie year model, circumstances, actual failure etc?. As others have said, there was a run of defective trailing arms due to an isolated welding issue and also some from what I understand with the wider offset trailing arms to suit 200series cruisers. The design was modified but I presume will always be inherently weaker than the 0 or +30 track due to the additional leverage of the +70. I won't be using the latter. :D. I am not sure that KK are losing the passion. Yep, I am sure Bruce Loxton is loaded but have a chat to him at a 4wd/camping show. I have seen him at every one I have been to in Sydney over the last 2 years (Only lived in Sydney that long). Chatting to him recently he is clearly passionate about his products but that passion extends to the environment and green technology. An interesting guy who knew his product!

Jason - Are there really issues with the Fox shocks? I haven't come across anything on this before and have them fitted to my current KK. They may have a heat reactive paint (not sure) but they actually have temp gauge on them for you to check whether you are pushing to hard or not. ie slow down or drop tyre pressures further etc. The Fox shocks are also fully rebuildable and do have a history in performance suspension.

Gronk - Similar to Jason. My current KK (2013 build) is of brilliant quality and have no doubts over its structural integrity.

KeithB - Have a read of the downloadable articles. They provide a good understanding of the whys in all of their designs. As per Jason, I don't see anything wrong with the BFG AT's that come with it standard. Why would you want to fit 10ply tyres to anything when it isn't required knowing that it will put undue stress on components regardless of their strength.

Rumpig/Diesel Power - I have logged onto the KK portal but haven't been able to find anything but useful tech info like the dealer product training info, schematics for wiring etc. I have come across the KKOG but don't know if there is any formal affiliation with KK. You have to pay to join and my first impression is that it is a bunch KK Owners who only want to associate with other KK Owners because they think they are somehow better. I would love to be corrected on this as it shouldn't matter what equipment others use.
2013 Nissan Patrol Y61
2015 Kimberley Karavan Eco Suite

Offline Coiled

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »
After missing out on a 6 month old unit (Owners upgrading to the big Kruiser) earlier in the week by about an hour I decided to put the order in for a new one. It will be ready for delivery at the end of October early November at latest.

I was biased going in after being so impressed by the Kimberley Kamper but after looking at Complete Campsite Exodus, Tvan Topaz, LCT AT10/AT12, AOR's I felt the KK best suited our requirements and intended use. I am obviously looking forward to getting and will provide feedback as an owner as that progresses.
2013 Nissan Patrol Y61

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2014, 09:37:23 PM »
This Ten Ply Rating thing is a bit confusing to me because nobody builds tyres for normal vehicles with ten plys these days. I have Copper ST Maxx 33's which are a 121 rating, which I am guessing is ten ply. Can anyone straighten me out on that?

If I wanted to put these tyres on a Kimberley camper (God willing if I had one) for the sake of interchangeability, I would blow my warranty - that's if my ten ply assumption is correct.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »
Coiled,

My friends KK I referred is was delivered end of last year, so late 2013 other unit
I don't know about as I wasn't on that trip.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2014, 12:23:20 PM »
After missing out on a 6 month old unit (Owners upgrading to the big Kruiser) earlier in the week by about an hour I decided to put the order in for a new one. It will be ready for delivery at the end of October early November at latest.

I was biased going in after being so impressed by the Kimberley Kamper but after looking at Complete Campsite Exodus, Tvan Topaz, LCT AT10/AT12, AOR's I felt the KK best suited our requirements and intended use. I am obviously looking forward to getting and will provide feedback as an owner as that progresses.

Good on ha mate.  :cup:
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Coiled

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2014, 10:43:22 PM »
Coiled,

My friends KK I referred is was delivered end of last year, so late 2013 other unit
I don't know about as I wasn't on that trip.

Do you know if they had the 200series LC wheel offset? It seems to be the default spec of dealers. What was the actual issue, was it the suspension arm failing and perhaps further damage or was it literally a chassis failure and if so what failed or where did it crack? When I look under my Kamper it is pretty solidly built and while nothing is impossible, I am truly surprised to hear of a critical failure.

Can you get specific details from your mate? The only bad stories you hear about KK's are 'hear says' not from owners, perhaps with the exception of the suspension arm issue previously mentioned, so it would be beneficial to know what actually failed. It may assist someone who is investing their hard earned on a second hand Aussie Built to identify an issue.
2013 Nissan Patrol Y61

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »
Is this the prototype for the next Kimberley Karavan ;D

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Coiled