Author Topic: Dilemma - What would you do?  (Read 16753 times)

Offline Alexstein

• Swag User
Dilemma - What would you do?
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »
Ok so here is my dilemma.

Im looking at getting a trailer later on in the year and so far im down to the following 2 models (maybe 3)

Mars Camper Ranger - Fully Galvanised with HammerTone finish  / 7 leaf suspension / 2 annex's - $7,000 - http://www.marscampers.com.au/mars-campers-off-road-7x5ft-soft-floor-ranger-series-hs-soft-top-camper-trailer.html

Blue Water Simpson - Galvanised Drawer Bar - Powdercoat finish / Independent Suspension / 1 annex - $8250 - http://bluewatercampers.com.au/CamperTrailers/Details/3

or

EzyTrail Mawson LX - Fully Galvanised / 7 Leaf suspension + shock's / 2 annex - from $6000 - http://enztrading.com.au/pages/mawson-camper-trailer-catalog.html

In reality which is more important? Galvanised fully or independent suspension. There is an option for about $1400 to put independent suspension onto the Mars trailer if needed.

Would there be a major difference on a trailer like this with independent suspension or not?

The ezytrail trailer has a fair few extra bits power wise on it as well which is another consideration.

Thoughts everyone?

Any other alternatives around or under the $8000 mark?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:21:18 PM by Alexstein »

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Dilemma - What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
My personal thoughts are independant suspension is a luxury not a nessesity i would rather gal and not have the thing rust underneath me
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
Quote from: Alexstein
Plenty of brilliant $15,000 used trailers are around the $8k mark with accessories and goodies.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »
Plenty of brilliant $15,000 used trailers are around the $8k mark with accessories and goodies.
x2
Some for even $6,000
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Alexstein

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions on 2nd hand however the other half is a bit unsure on 2nd hand purchases like these since you dont know where the trailers have been. It took her long enough to find a Pajero that she was happy with :)

Realistically I also would prefer something new so that i have that year warranty (of sorts) to fall back on. Ive given myself around 7-8k for the trailer and $1.5k-2k for toys.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:25 PM »
Galvanised is more important than ind suspension.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
Please keep in mind that a 2nd hand camper is not the same thing as a 2nd hand 4wd. There is little the naked eye can't see for itself with a CT purchase.
You can always ask someone on here to look at it with you
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
I have towed my camp trailer along of the roughest tracks at a fair pace, never had a problem with the trailer nor have I never broken a egg that has been packed in my Trackabout , they have normal springs. I my mind people can spend way to much on trailer suspension and at the end of the day nobody goes for a ride in the trailer.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
I have towed my camp trailer along of the roughest tracks at a fair pace, never had a problem with the trailer nor have I never broken a egg that has been packed in my Trackabout , they have normal springs. I my mind people can spend way to much on trailer suspension and at the end of the day nobody goes for a ride in the trailer.
x2 And also worth considering that:
1)  Less to break on a leaf spring solid rigid axle set up &
2)  Much easier to repair 'out there' than an indie set up if it does break.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »

Thoughts everyone?

Where you live would determine whether to have it galvanised or not.  Will it be stored undercover?  Will you give it a hose down and a wash when you get home?  If yes to those two and you don't live on the sea then save the $$.

If you are serious about Independent then forget the poorly designed suspension in the photos and have them fit ALKO rubber torsion suspension. 

I am with Lost and the others here.  A good second hand quality camper is better value.  Forget warranty on a trailer.  Factor in to the purchase price a new set of bearings, brake shoes and electric brake magnets and the cost to fit them and thats about all that can really go wrong.  When you come to look at it throw a pair of overalls on and climb under, over and inside it.  If its abused you will soon find out.

Heres a tip - If its got a round axle with brakes then the trailer is at the lower quality end of the market.  It shows they are 'fitting brakes' without considering the engineering side of things. 

Good luck with whichever way you go.

:D

EDIT

Just re-read the title.  "What would I do" - I would buy a second hand Tambo (or similar)  8)

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 05:31:55 PM »
when we were looking, a second hand Aussie trailer turned out to be the go.

For $6,000, we got just about everything included and added a few items and stuff and have a great trailer. If you look up my thread, in My Camper Trailer, page 11 (ATM) under "BJ and the Bear", I've posted fota's if you want to see what we got.

Best part was, it was only 2 hours away as well.

My advice, for what its worth, go a good second hand CT.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:37:32 PM by Jeepers Creepers »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions on 2nd hand however the other half is a bit unsure on 2nd hand purchases like these since you dont know where the trailers have been. It took her long enough to find a Pajero that she was happy with :)

Realistically I also would prefer something new so that i have that year warranty (of sorts) to fall back on. Ive given myself around 7-8k for the trailer and $1.5k-2k for toys.

the honest truth mate, is 99% of the 2nd hand trailers on here would of been loved for, cared for, and treated better than most wifes. Reasons they are for sale, are for various reasons, like not using it enough, upgraded to later model or van, cant afford it now, circumstances changed so cant use it.

Dont think of them in the same category as 2nd hand cars.

Having said that, there is nothing better than knowing you are the first owner.

Me i would rather buy a $15000 trailer 2nd hand for $8000 than a new one for $7000

My 5c worth.  :cheers:
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 06:45:44 PM »

Galvanised is more important than ind suspension.

Same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 06:50:43 PM »
Another vote for the used market here also...there is some out standing units out there, with a heap of mods already done which will save you plenty of $$$$.

Buying a used CT isn't anywhere near the risk of buying a used 4wd, im sure that there would be a swagger that lives somewhere close by who would give you a hand in checking a used CT over for your piece of mind.

Its your choice at the end of day, but I just don't see the value in buying a new CT, unless you plan on living in it day after day on a big lap for example, other wise it get used 6 times a year maybe for a fair outlay.

Good luck anyway.

Swanny

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
Me i would rather buy a $15000 trailer 2nd hand for $8000 than a new one for $7000

Yep. Same here.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 06:58:32 PM »
Buying a used CT isn't anywhere near the risk of buying a used 4wd, im sure that there would be a swagger that lives somewhere close by who would give you a hand in checking a used CT over for your piece of mind.

Agreed, it is pretty easy to see if a camper has been flogged, stone chips, dirty/torn canvas, bad smell typically gives it away. It's not like you have to worry about an engine/transmission etc. Get the bearings repacked and you're good to go with some $ saved in your pocket. Best of all their are many swaggers only too happy to help check out a camper for you.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Alexstein

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm based down in the SE Melb burbs so would be looking at this kind of area if looking for 2nd hand. If and when i do anything it will be post taxman refund (already calculated 7k return so far) so will have to see the options. I'm currently just weighing up the costs of everything at the moment.

Offline BernieShelly

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
Hi i and friends have the blue water campers am happy with them some little hip cups but had it sorted out   in a past life ( job i towed ezi trail campers ( e and z ) hmmm dont like them wouldn't have one pm me if you want im in the SE melb as well good luck with what you buy
bernie

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »

My 5c worth.  :cheers:
Yep that was my thinking. Bought a second hand Tru blu over a new "cheaper" trailer. It's not as fancy as some out there but it just does all the
Right things :cheers:

BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 12:30:18 AM »
Alexstein - Some things that I found helpful to consider when we were doing the same as you...

At the end of the day I believe the trailer features come in second to the actual tent

The reason we went for a second hand (read affordable for us at the time) 'aussie built' was because the trailer was well made - that was a given - with better quality latches, hinges (when you see how much weight they have to hold up when lifting the packed up tent to access the internal tub you will appreciate the fact they will have to do the job year after year without rusting/tearing away from the base). 

As others have mentioned - tricky suspension is ok for a car and maybe for quite heavy caravans - but for a camper trailer I'd rather put my money into the tent.

Number one priority are the TENT QUALITY & FEATURES which make using it a pleasure - and not a compromise - To assist with some questions to ask
- The height of the middle bow so the roof is high and cool for you.  If all the walls are vertical (including the one next to the bed if possible - all give you more internal space and keeps your things off the canvas). 
- Does it have windows in all sides with quality mesh so midges / mozzies don't make themselves your best friend. 
- What about the zips - what a pain when poor quality zips are used and they just stop working.   
- Stitching quality and the soft floor thickness/quality - will it stand up to a few sharp stones underneath when set up?
- How about how easy it is to fold it all up?   Some new campers sell the fact the tent is huge and the price is low.   Great if you have a huge family but really only if it sets up and packs down easy (the less poles and ropes to deal with the better) - you will have less 'robust discussions' about the virtues of camping with the Mrs!   
- Think about how much use you will get out of it with a 'happy wife' and consider VALUE rather than PRICE?

Luckily for me - my mates with some quality camper trailers (whom I used to envy when I had my old tent) e.g. Customline, Trackabout, Lifestyle, Vacation, Modcon (yes all Qld made - being we're from Brisbane) gave me these 'pearls of wisdom' and encouraged me to spend a little extra to get a whole lot more for the $$'s.   

I'm glad we did - compared to another of my friends who bought a 'well featured trailer' but the tent was just not user friendly so he sold it less than six months later.  At then end of the day you're doing your research which is great - go to the factories and camping expos, check out how thick the canvas is and if possible watch some vids of how the tent goes up and down?  (you can find some good ones on youtube)  Don't rush - sometimes you have to wait to find a good second hand one (and sometimes these manufacturers do an excellent on-road version where you are getting a new and top quality tent with scaled back trailer features - that you can add to later if you get more serious) - check their websites - and make up your own mind depending on your budget and what is most important to you...  :cheers:

McTavish...
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:26 AM »
Good points McTavish!
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Dilemma - What would you do?
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 08:51:08 AM »
And note. At the end of the day it's a case of buy what you want - not what others would do. It's your money Alexstein.
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »
/\ /\ /\ /\

All very good points above concerning 2nd hand rather than new. I think McTavish is on the ball with his comment re the tent.
When I bought mine I looked at new CT's for a while and very quickly worked out that to spec up a new low-end (not chinese either) CT to where I wanted it to be would add about 3-4K above purchase price. Started looking around for pre loved and found an older (03) Trackabout for much less than I anticipated and have been very happy (read ecstatic) with my purchase.
It will outlast me for sure.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 07:52:09 PM »
I'm sure you are sick of the 2nd hand thing by now but that's the way we went.

My wife and I went to lots of shows and I read alot of forums. We got it down to about 3 in our price range (around $10,000). After all that I thought it would be best if we rented one. I couldn't think of anything worse than buying one and the wife hating camping. We ended up renting an EXPLORER LAWSON OFF-ROAD from lookout campers (Explorer Lawson being the camper and lookout being the rental agentand the guy that builds the trailers). It just happen to be our favourite at the shows but was out of our price range. After a week of camping and the little one loving it the wife was sold. During that week we got a pretty good storm and that was when our decision was made to go the 2nd hand Australian jobby. The Explorer stood up extremely well compared to the other cheaper non Australian made campers. One a brand that can't be mentioned.

I was lucky. When I dropped the Lawson back at the rental place he asked if I was interested in buying. I asked how much he said $10,000.

I got a three year old LAWSON OFF-ROAD with all the bells and whistles. Plus he re speedlined it, put in a new kitchen, put on electric breaks, new tyres and redone the suspension. This camper new and decked out is about $20,000.

The good deals are out there. You just have to keep an eye out.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 10:50:22 PM »
I would DEFINITELY buy the 22' Heaslip on Gum tree!
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!