Author Topic: Is your imported off road coupling compliant?  (Read 33792 times)

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
Re: Is your imported off road coupling compliant?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 05:50:40 AM »
In my experience even some rego inspection outlets don't truly understand the rules.

It is important to note that a ball coupling can have the AS4177 stamp on it but no other style of coupling. Every other style of coupling is ADR62.

The photo that Muzza has shown is a perfect example of a fake non compliant coupling, they are everywhere unfortunately.

The photo that Evans52 has shown may be a compliant coupling, it is difficult to tell without knowing if the manufacturer as met ADR62, I suspect they haven't.

If anyone has any doubts, give Mchitch a ring, they will tell you exactly what you have.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 05:52:00 AM »
Soooo, the hitch only needs to display the manufacturers name and load rating.........and does not require the australian standard markings??

Pretty sure my DO 35 does not have any reference to australian standard on it........in saying that I am confident it a quality hitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only a ball coupling uses the AS numbers. The DO35 does not have AS4177 stamped on it as it comes under ADR62. They are definitely compliant ;D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 05:52:24 AM »
Danny, that is very true, inspectors struggle to understand their requirements and obligations, especially in this

Julian
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 05:56:13 AM »
That's not very good then, what else about their job do they not understand?
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 06:02:29 AM »
That's not very good then, what else about their job do they not understand?

Im not suggesting that all rego inspection stations don't know the rules properly, but I have had experience where one definitely didn't. He wouldn't pass my Mchitch yet he used Imported poly blocks with the AS number stamped on them on the trailers he manufactured for a third party. It took some phone calls to the relevant authorities to get my Mchitch passed yet even then they didn't understand or accept that the imported poly block was not compliant!

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 07:52:31 AM »
They are everywhere
$85 on eBay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/camper-trailer-coupling-4wd-tow-hitch-caravan-trailer-parts-polyblock-TREG-STYLE-/360858471177?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5404d74b09&_uhb=1

Another one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Treg-Type-Polyblock-Offroad-Coupling-3000kg-rated-4x4-4WD-Trailer-Hitch-/261395071511?pt=AU_product_Trailer_Parts&hash=item3cdc5c4217&_uhb=1

There is no hope when a trailer company is also selling them.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/poly-car-bracket-suit-offroad-treg-type-trailer-hitch-coupling-towbar-A44-/121223908701?pt=AU_product_Trailer_Parts&hash=item1c39820d5d&_uhb=1

Scary isn't it! Personally I couldn't bring it to myself to sell something like this, especially as they have the potential to be fatal. How could you live with yourself. I suspect some of the people in those ads don't understand themselves. One of them clearly states it is Australian Standard! It has the AS stamp so it must be ;)

It is disappointing seeing Xtrail selling them, Sam would know they are not compliant.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 07:57:20 AM »
I am surprised, MDC have been advertising that their hitch is compliant, in fact I seem to recall them making a big deal out of it.

Julian

I find it a bit hard to understand. I have nothing stamped into the hitch only this stuck on metal strip

Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 08:03:46 AM »
I find it a bit hard to understand. I have nothing stamped into the hitch only this stuck on metal strip

That is MDC putting there own backside on the line to make the imported hitch ADR compliant. (assuming it is imported)

Here is a copy and paste from http://mchitch.com.au/adr-testing in regards to getting ADR compliance!!

Safety and performance are the two pillars holding the McHitch Uniglide trailer couplings above all others, and as the performance benefits have already been explored and proven right here on this very webiste, it's now time to talk safety.

ADR (Australian Design Rules) state that trailer couplings up to 750kg, up to 3.5 tonnes and over 3.5 tonnes must comply with the requirements of ADR 62/02.

Compliance with this ADR can be achieved in one of two ways. The first, and most widely accepted way of meeting this requirement is for the manufacturer to declare their opinion that, based on the specifications of the coupling, they would either meet or exceed the testing regime of 62/02, without having actually undergone the testing.

The second, official and most expensive way is for the the coupling to be tested by an independent third party in an approved testing laboratory via high load static and cyclic testing.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline evans52

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 08:51:36 AM »
I can't find anything on "SY-01". I'll see what Ezytrail say and McHitch say or I might replace it rather than risk it.

These ones look to be ideal.............. >:D

http://www.marscampers.com.au/galvanised-poly-block-off-road-trailer-hitch.html

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 08:54:49 AM »
I would be staggered if McHitch wasn't compliant. I doubt that very much. Aussie designed and manufactured.

Julian
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 10:02:26 AM »
Compliance with this ADR can be achieved in one of two ways. The first, and most widely accepted way of meeting this requirement is for the manufacturer to declare their opinion that, based on the specifications of the coupling, they would either meet or exceed the testing regime of 62/02, without having actually undergone the testing.

The second, official and most expensive way is for the the coupling to be tested by an independent third party in an approved testing laboratory via high load static and cyclic testing.

So its self regulated then ?

As long as the manufacture declares that the coupling meets the standard ... it meets the standard ... unless proved otherwise.

mmmm ?

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »

I would be staggered if McHitch wasn't compliant. I doubt that very much. Aussie designed and manufactured.

Julian

Mchitch is very much compliant, as per the link I supplied

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »

So its self regulated then ?

As long as the manufacture declares that the coupling meets the standard ... it meets the standard ... unless proved otherwise.

mmmm ?

That's how I read it on the mchitch website!

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »
maybe we can get one of the camper manufacturers that troll on here to tell us exactly what the codes mean to them and how it works. I read it also that it is self regulated
Kev

Offline Nick74

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »
I have just sent an email off to my CT manufacturer to ask if 2011 poly block coupling is compliant? I'll check it for stamps ets next time I'm in the shed.

I wonder if they say its not (highly unlikely they will be that stoopid) compliant what they will offer? I'd be happy with one of there 2014 compliant jobbies - wont hold my breath though. I'll start shopping around for another hitch

Cheers
Nick
Cheers Nick
2013 PB Challenger
2011 GIC Offroad aka Katie
If I loved these tyres any more they would be beer - David Freiberger 2015

Offline evans52

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »
maybe we can get one of the camper manufacturers that troll on here to tell us exactly what the codes mean to them and how it works. I read it also that it is self regulated

They were quick on Facebook to put an Ad up about it.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »
Saw a number of CTs at Wandin today with the AS no. and poly blocks... "WRONG"!
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Market Direct Campers

• Tent User
  • www.marketdirect.com.au PH: 1300 4x4 4x4
    • MDC Camper Trailers & Caravans
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 09:41:04 PM »
I am surprised, MDC have been advertising that their hitch is compliant, in fact I seem to recall them making a big deal out of it.

Julian

Hello All,

MDC takes safety very seriously and all of our camper trailers and couplings are ADR Compliant.

I have made some investigations into our MDC Couplings for myswaggers.
All MDC Polyblock Couplings are ADR 62/02 approved and the design and manufacture has been independently tested against the Australian Standard.

We have invested a substantial amount of money/resources into the process and have been selling against noncomplying hitches for more than 5 years.

There is only 2 laboratories in Australia with sufficient equipment to facilitate the testing.
As the testing methods and laboratory is commercial in confidence, I am not allowed to elaborate any further.
In other words, MDC doesn't want to discuss the methods and know how (intellectual property) on what is required to manufacture ADR 62/02 compliant couplings. This would just make it too easy for other companies to copy.

Below is a copy of the MDC Certification Certificate and the official Engineering Test Report with commercial/sensitive information removed.

The actual MDC Test Report is a 10 page document that has been submitted to all relevant government authorities some years ago, when our couplings were first introduced to the market.

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider
[img width= height=]http://www.importersandwholesalers.com.au/forum/myswaglogo2.jpg[/img]

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 10:20:42 PM »
Thanks MDC
Just an easy one for you as I dont know... why isnt there something actually stamped into the hitch ??....
I mean I have the metal plate on the top of mine- but if that comes off ??
Kev

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
Good to see you backing your product MDC, well done.

I'm curious to know if you cast and manufacture your own hitch here in Oz or is it an imported hitch that you have sent for testing for ADR compliance?

I'm genuinely curious, this is not a trolling question. It does not matter to me where it is manufactured if it meets the standard we expect, I am simply interested if you actually make the hitch here in Australia.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Market Direct Campers

• Tent User
  • www.marketdirect.com.au PH: 1300 4x4 4x4
    • MDC Camper Trailers & Caravans
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 10:47:31 PM »
Thanks MDC
Just an easy one for you as I dont know... why isnt there something actually stamped into the hitch ??....
I mean I have the metal plate on the top of mine- but if that comes off ??

Hi Kev,
I believe ADR62/02 states that both parts of the coupling must be permanently marked. We choose to mark our hitches with a permanent nameplate, much the same as new cars these days, and the nameplate is made by the same supplier to Vehicle Components for use on their D035 coupling.

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider
[img width= height=]http://www.importersandwholesalers.com.au/forum/myswaglogo2.jpg[/img]

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »
All very confusing , if all it takes is a retailer saying its compliant then the system is flawed.Why have a AS system in the first place?

I have taken a lot of interest as I am awaiting delivery of my C/T(no names yet) & after reading this thread I contacted the supplier to be told that there hitches are NOW compliant. I hope this is true but if all it's takes is there say so !!!!

Still am still very keen to take delivery.

Cheers
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »
it is all very confusing yet the way i still read it is that after all the testing that is done it still seems that there is no national standard.
But honestly the chances of any hitch coming undone is pretty darn rare- but it can and does happen- we just want to be all safe.

I know MDC mark theirs- and I just checked the car side of the hitch ----and I thought a little more than a sticker would be better though, but it is what it is. It is good to see that MDC did take the stand and did submit a 10 page document on their testing/requirements and standards.

Kev

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »
These are the problems that I have both seen with my own eyes and read about on forums with these hitches.

The receiver has a problem with poor welding on the side of the mount and the mounting bolt.
They also crack under load across the top of the hitch receiver.

On the hitch itself it cracks along the side of the poly block and I have seen it crack next to the bolt holes of the mounting area.

They are just plain junk and are dangerous.