Author Topic: Bullbars: are they necessary?  (Read 30221 times)

nbd73

Bullbars: are they necessary?
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
Been wondering for a while, what is the obsession with fitting a bullbar? They are generally over $2k fitted, and compared to say a suspension system for example for similar $ which is used & felt every driving moment they seem over rated. Hanging fishing rod holders, spot lights, uhf aerials & winches seems to be their primary use. Costly hanger.
Now I understand everyone says "protection against roos" etc, and I am not disputing that fact, nor the added front end approach angle protection, but how many people honestly use their vehicles in these conditions & environments that often compared to daily use? Not having a go at people with them, just amazes me how new vehicle owners state a bull bar as being the first accessory.  Wouldn't a second battery or suspension upgrade be better value for money as a first upgrade?

Offline Andrew_C

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Bullbars: are they necessary?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »
We have a prado 150, and it was not on the priority list until we got held up and had to drive between tamworth and coonabarabran at 8:30 one night, it went to the top after explaining to my wife that if we hit an animal, we would be staying on the side of the road until help arrived. I hit roos every so often on the way to and from work in my work cars but until my wife saw it first hand she could see the 2g being spent on shoes and hand bags as a better investment

Offline Noughts

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Happy Days
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
I think the decision is dependant on the use of the vehicle. Yes I agree that there are a lot of people who kit out their rigs in the city and will never see a dusty road therefore a cosmetic addition. For my own rig the bar has saved me a lot of grief with all the wild life on the roads here in southern Tassie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
03 Nissan Navara and 2012 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:20 PM »

I agree with Noughts. 

Yes.  And No. 

Genuine 4wd'ers and outback drivers ... Yes!
City folk who never put in in 4wd ... No!

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

nbd73

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:26:07 PM »

I agree with Noughts. 

Yes.  And No. 

Genuine 4wd'ers and outback drivers ... Yes!
City folk who never put in in 4wd ... No!

Kit_e
And % breakdown of these categories is my discussion point. I just wonder whether too many new 4wd owners get caught up in the accessory adding trend. Kit e, you are always advising on minimalist spending on stuff you don't need, so just wondering how this item fits in. See stacks of people who only want to go to caravan parks and coastal camp grounds, yet still feel a bullbar is a necessity. Thoughts...

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:31:24 PM »
Sadly it is one of those conversations that quickly goes pear shaped and reality gets thrown out the window. If you want a giggle on a rainy night post the question on 4wd action.    :)
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »
Kit is spot on, but its not just roos and approach that a bull bar helps with.
tight turning and using the banks as a guide, trees and rocks. But for the majority an alloy Bar will suffice.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »
And % breakdown of these categories is my discussion point. I just wonder whether too many new 4wd owners get caught up in the accessory adding trend. Kit e, you are always advising on minimalist spending on stuff you don't need, so just wondering how this item fits in. See stacks of people who only want to go to caravan parks and coastal camp grounds, yet still feel a bullbar is a necessity. Thoughts...

It's a great place to hang towels over the weekend.   ;D

But seriously.  They hold a winch well and it can save you from serious front end damage.  And you do get Kanga-bouncies in towns on occassion.  I'd suggest most have them for looks.  It's usually the sides of the vehicle that cop any damage, wear and tear.

The BF has one, and we've needed the winch it holds on more than one occassion ... the real reason behind the bullbar.  He doesn't have roll bars, fancy steps or the likes.  But please keep in mind that we don't live together, or control each others spending ... he wanted a bullbar - so he got one.  I'm glad he also invested in the winch.

Love minimal camping.  Gets you back to nature and away from the frustratingly technical world we live in.  Brings out your Inner Puppy.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

nbd73

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »
Sadly it is one of those conversations that quickly goes pear shaped and reality gets thrown out the window. If you want a giggle on a rainy night post the question on 4wd action.    :)
Such was not my intention. Was actually going to post a reply to another recent thread on someone buying a new vehicle & speccing a bar, but thought it was getting off track questioning it, so thought I might ask for a general opinion. It appears as though my attitude is out of line with the general consensus, I guess that ARB, TJM etc are catering to a market, I just wondered whether the market has been created rather than needed. Many, many discussions on here suggest that is the case with regards to other products, DC-DC chargers for example. Maybe the topic is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:50:27 PM by nbd73 »

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »
I reckon nbd73 is right.  Walk through any car park at a shopping centre and a good 50% of 4B's fitted with bull bars don't even have a scratch on their bar and the paintwork on their car is immaculate.  They are usually fitted with factory alloy side steps that also look brand new.  You know the ones that would be bent in half or ripped off the side of the car at the first sign of a real 4B track.
I haven't hit any wildlife with this cruza but the  bullbar on the previous troopy saved us.
 I certainly wouldn't want to remove my bullbar but I do tend to agree it is probably unnecessary on a lot of cars.  Commodore utes is another one.  The chassis is that thin that the first very minor impact would result on the bullbar bending across the front of their lovely commodore smashing the grill, lights, bonnets etc.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:56:41 PM »

Mine came with the cruiser. They are great to lean on with a beer while talking bull Shite to your mates.

You try doing that leaning on a hot bonnet  ;D

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Fozzle

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:45 PM »
In my situation, Yes.  They have saved me more times than I can count on the open road (not just on my current vehicle).  Last roo I hit did 10K damage and didnt even dent the bullbar. I hate to think what it would of done if it wasnt there.

On the average shopping trolley that goes to the shops and to get the kids from school No. But that being said I also drive my 4wd to work every day and the shops etc so maybe I look like a poser when doing so..?

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »
Mine came with the cruiser. They are great to lean on with a beer while talking bull ****e to your mates.

Mark

:) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »
We have gone away from the normal steel ARB style bar this time and gone for an alloy bumper bar type set up instead.

Our last 4x4 had all the bits, ARB steel bar, scrub bars and sliders.......but in 30 years of off roading I never hit anything, now that's not to say it'll never happen but the 4B is sooo much lighter to steer with the new setup it's not funny. We still have somewhere to mount spotlights/led light bars/winches/CB aerials/fog lights and anderson plugs but don't pay the large weight penalty .

I think everyone will have different needs, but for us it's Alloy Bar and less weight !

In answer to the question..............yes, they are necessary, all the accessories need to be bolted to something weather it's a steel/alloy bullbar or a bumper type of set up.
There that's my two bobs worth  ;D
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 10:07:19 PM »
We have always added a bullbar to our 4WD's and are looking at it on a new one. Not for looks but because of the travel we do. Lots of hwy klms and bush travel. As Murphy's law would have it while waiting for the dealer to get the bullbar for our current car we hit a kangaroo while traveling in western QLD.

I guess it is horses for courses like any accessory, suspension for towing and articulation etc etc.

I do agree that too many cars have them for no reason and that only fuels the do gooders wanting to ban 4WD's in cities etc. but that is a whole other debate.

Personally I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of no where.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »
Mine has saved the front of my 4wd, one day I might learn how to post/link a video from my dash camera, all you see is the poor buggers head popup above the bar just to the left of centre and then bang. Result not so good for the roo but no damage to the car or bar

Couple of years ago, going to Bathurst we hit one in a mates brand new Commodore ute, $5500.00 damage

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »
Good sense being made here. We need one up here as not only the Roos running out in front of us which now number 11 hits now, but also cattle. Not that any bar will save you if you hit one of them but you have a fighting chance.

Not sure what the point is for those that never go away and as Kit_e says they do hold spot lights and a winch.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

nbd73

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 10:10:36 PM »
Mine came with the cruiser. They are great to lean on with a beer while talking bull ****e to your mates.

Mark
I used to do that with my old series 3 LR, but then the damn thing never ran hot, never ran into anything, in fact very rarely ran. Hardly relevant to my OP, but having expunged those virtues of a BB in my 20's I feel secure about debating the merits of said accessory from a more mellow (read aged) stage in life.
All good, but still think the majority (who will never read this) buy unnecessarily. Decent suspension will win for me any day of the week. Having had OME fitted to previous vehicle, cannot wait to upgrade the 200. But that also is irrelevant to the question I posed. Appreciate the other points of view, they are just so costly for what they are, compared to other items. Was thinking of an ARB Sahara bar, but almost same price as full BB. Bugger.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:15:55 PM by nbd73 »

Offline PeaBrainPete

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
One other thing to consider for town users - cars are designed to minimise damage to pedestrians, cyclists who inadvertently decide to become a hood ornament. Bull bar - no chance. If the bull bar is for decoration and not going to be used in the bush - then any advantage given to saving life's in an accident is worthwhile.
If roos are most likely accident - get a bar.
Driving round town - no bar.
Oooh! Goldfish!

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 10:14:19 PM »
Like any modification you make.  Know why you are doing it.  For my I like 4wding and along with a bull bar, side bars etc etc lockers are just as important for me.  For others they don't need any of these things.  Know why you are adding or modifying before you do it.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 10:14:29 PM »
One dark night, a few years ago, we hit a cow with our Paj. It was at Wandong, 50km north of Melbourne, on the Hume Freeway. We were doing 110km/h at the time. Bull bar did it's job........we managed to drive home, shaken but not stirred.

Experiences like that tend to colour your view a bit.........

Six weeks prior, we had a Falcon wagon......... :o

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:16:06 PM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:41 PM »
One dark night, a few years ago, we hit a cow with our Paj. It was at Wandong, 50km north of Melbourne, on the Hume Freeway. We were doing 110km/h at the time. Bull bar did it's job........we managed to drive home, shaken but not stirred.

Yep,  I reckon it would have coloured your undies too  :cheers:

nbd73

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »

Fair point.

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »
Im sure we will all agree there is certainly a fair share of 4wders out there who not only have unnessacary bullbars on, but several other bolt on accessories as well that they could really do without ;D
I think the requirement for a bull bar depends a lot on what you use your 4wd for. So me I like to have one. Provides good protection from roos when travelling at night (which we tend to do on quite a few holiday trips - making the most of the bitumen runs we often stop around 11-12pm), also good low speed off road protection for the front end from rocks, logs etc.. Plus a place to bolt the spot lights too

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 10:26:26 PM »
If it was easy to do I would remove my BB when not going somewhere I may need it, but with the lights attached (and soon to be arials) this would be a pain in the rear end (front end actually  :D).

I do not drive near school zones when I can avoid it, I have seen way too many kids running out between cars and not looking.
2002 Landcruiser GXV