Author Topic: Here in Albany yesterday another Rock Fisherman drowning and death  (Read 1944 times)

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
Here in Albany yesterday another Rock Fisherman drowning and death and also another had to be rescued from a very dangerous bit of coastline.
When will folks learn that a fish ain't worth your life and when will rock fishers start investing in a PDF
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Marschy

Re: Here in Albany yesterday another Rock Fisherman drowning and death
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:44:51 PM »
My sympathy to the families involved should they happen to read this

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
Here in Albany yesterday another Rock Fisherman drowning and death
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
We saw a emergency vehicle flying out frenchnans bay road yesterday, wondered what was going on.

And such a calm day too
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
BCF lend out PFD free of charge as far as I know.

What is the cost of an adequate vest.?

But really, is a fish worth your life? Not to mention the cost, hassle and heartache that goes with a drowning or loss of life.

How many people will be affected by this?
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

Offline Turbojohn

• Soft Floor Camper User
I feel for the families of these people, because their loved ones would probably still be here if they had spent an extra 70 odd dollars on an inflatable vest! No more expensive than a spool of good line really. The majority of the rock fishing fatalities over here are men of asian decent.  I dont think enough information on Australian sea conditions and the unpredictability of the waters over here is getting through or sinking in. :'(

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
Hours later after the Albany Sea Rescue had to recover the dead fisherman they got called out again to a a ledge further around towards the Gap where another Rock Fisherman was stranded on a ledge.

The Sea Rescue Head Officer on the radio this morning said they were having to do this rescue in darkness late at night with a high swell and that the fisherman couldn't swim, wasn't wearing a PDF and wouldn't jump in the water for them to retrieve him
As such they (Albany Sea Rescue) had put themselves and there boat at risk and power the rescue boat up onto dangerous rocks to retrieve this guy.
Like you said Crusin the local camp stores even supply free PDFs and theres even free PDF's at the Salmon Holes for fishers to wear (But as the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink) There are that many signs saying "Dangerous Coastline" it makes you wonder..Look may be its because I live here ..but why dont these rock fishers wear a PDF's...they pay a fortune for there fishing gear but wont invest in $80.00 for an inflating PDF..it makes you wonder
It dosen't surprise me that the fatalities from Rock Fishing in the Albany shire out strips the number of car related road deaths in this shire each year

The Head of Albany Sea Rescue today said if both these guys were wearing PDF's the story and ease of rescue would of been totally different and that he along with the police are sick and tied of retrieving bodies and braking devastating news to love ones and families.

Like said : sympathy to the families involved

John
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/