Author Topic: Mozzie and insect traps/killer  (Read 3165 times)

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
Mozzie and insect traps/killer
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:09:41 PM »
Hi all I'm in the process of getting a new patio on the home and to make the most of the outdoor/backyard life im keen to instal a decent size and effective mozzie insect zapper or catcher .. Any feed back, photos or suggestion would be much appreciated
Kind regards: John. / Albany Nomads

John
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:59:01 PM by albany_nomads »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Mozzie and insect traps/killer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »
We bought one of those Mosquito Magnet style devices about 6 years ago when we were living in Qld.  Fiendishly expensive.  The theory is great - lights and nitrogen gas and baits to attract the mozzies.  Unfortunately in practice it doesn't work so well.

Two main problems. 1 is that it also sucks in moths which clag up the fan blades and cause it to stop. The cleaning is a pain.  2nd is you need to position it just right so the nitrogen will flow downhill and attract the mozzies, but also attract them away from your BBQ area.  So that doesn't work at all when your BBQ area is in the lower part of the yard - it just attracts them to you.  The gas and trap should actually be seperated, but with the ones they sell, they put them together on a stand.

I have a friend who actually traps mozzies for scientific study !!  The theory behind these type of traps is sound, but he does not hesitate to admit that there is a lot of art in getting the positioning just right, and exactly the right attractants for the mozzies in a particular area etc.  It is very difficult for domestic users.

I went back to the humble mozzie coil. Cheap. Easy to operate and I actually quite like the smell.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »

Long sleeves, long pants and covering any exposed areas in dettol / lavender / aeroguard works very well.  If it's a zapper you are after ... there are many types, but I've always liked the ones the glow blue and give the "pop" when successful ... the sound makes me feel good.  Downside is these attract other animals ... and the upside of that is they can clean up any mess below it (I'm talking toads here).

I recently purchased a "tennis racquet" style bug slayer which runs on 2 AA batteries.   To operate one must hold down the button and the item is "charged".  I find it both challenging and fun.  Challenging in that you have to hunt the creatures down, but fun in the fact that they "pop" and die.  Yes it will kill mozzies.  Perhaps inviting a truck load of kids over to clear the air with these would be a good plan?   ;D

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
I use 2 or 3 "raid automatic outdoors" sprayer thingos.Cost about $25 each at the start but refills are a lot less after that. Set them going an hour or so before the bar-b, and they just keep puffing out every 30 seconds for 5 hours or you turn them off, last for ages and they work
cheers Keith 
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »
Mozzie coil for sure. Or eats loads of garlic :D
Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
Watching this one as I have been having the same thoughts.  Use to have one of those zappers years agao and it seemed to work if you left it on all night every night for a week or so, supposedly interupts the breeding cycle then rather than just knocking over one nights worth.  Went to look at them in the big green store last week and there seem to be all didfferent tyoes and wattages available now so as I had no idea which was best I did not buy.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »
Trapping Mozzies, not a problem in the World.

Just bring my SHMBO around and sit her down, they love her.  You can despatch 40 an hour off her ankles.

Best thing is they leave me alone  ;D

Solution, get rid of thier breeding grounds, mozzie coils, and:

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Mozzie and insect traps/killer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »

I recently purchased a "tennis racquet" style bug slayer which runs on 2 AA batteries.   To operate one must hold down the button and the item is "charged".  I find it both challenging and fun.  Challenging in that you have to hunt the creatures down, but fun in the fact that they "pop" and die.  Yes it will kill mozzies.  Perhaps inviting a truck load of kids over to clear the air with these would be a good plan?   ;D

Kit_e
[/quote]
The kids had these and one night I presumed that one wasn't working and for some unknown reason put my tongue on it, you guessed it it still worked and boy do 2 AA's pack a punch :)

Cheers Matt

Offline Trex_s4m1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • need more toys! :D
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
lucky it was only your tongue :|
yeh those things are great fun. mine broke after a few enthusiastic swings.
my missus would laugh at me just before bed time im hopping around the room trying to get that annoying little b@stard that would otherwise keep me awake all night.

on topic... mossie coils and that bushman stuff.. i rarely have to use the mossie coils with that stuff though. if you have aerosol type ones dont forget to spray your shirt as the little mofos will go straight through it to get to your inner goo.

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:44 PM »
I have also heard that the scent of rum oozing out of the pores deters them (they rely on smell).

I keep trying to persuade the other half that means I should drink Bundy every night, but so far I am meeting with resistance.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.