Author Topic: Toolbox. Tool roll etc.. for tools in the camper  (Read 42432 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Toolbox. Tool roll etc.. for tools in the camper
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
Well searching for toolbox didnt help, you get a billionteen hits for trailer toolboxes!

Wondering what sort of toolbox people carry their tools in while travelling? I know some people carry everything including a hoist, welders, and 200,000 piece stahlwille toolkits.... But Im lookin for somethin a touch smaller :)

I'm wanting to setup a toolbox/bag to leave in the trailer. Basic sized spanners, sockets, plyers, s/drivers, etc... I have electrical stuff and tape etc in a different bag.

My issue is all the metal toolboxes I've looked at are absolute RUBBISH quality, and I havent it Bunnings yet!!!

not a big fan of plastic boxes like this

So I'm lookin at 'toolbags'. maybe this size, maybe bit bigger...
EG: 
1 x NEW Dewalt 24" Contractor Tool Bag $35.00
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330453285398

It might be a bit easier to pack in nooks and crannys, not sure but anyone using them??
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:45:32 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Toolbox... for tools in the camper
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »
I bought one similar to that from Bunnings. I haven't used it in the CT, thats a good idea. <Edit> The Dewalt bag I mean.
Mines pushing 6 years old now and has had a fair bit of use and its still going reasonably well.

To my shame I am using a coles cooler bag to store the basic tools that I carry camping......................Its easy enough to jam into unusual shaped places.

Cheers
Nomad
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:29:10 PM by Nomad »

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »
Gday Bruce
I use a soft tool bag in the toolbox on the Tracky. It's a little smaller than the 24" one you pictured, maybe 20". It's a Irwin brand from Bunnings & hold pretty much what you posted,ie, basic spanner set, pliers , bit & pieces to get out of gaol. I also put some extras like gas O rings, extra fuses etc. This bag is only for the camper & it stays in the front box all the time. So far I'm happy with the idea. They don't rattle, will settle into shape & can pack things on top of it. Seems to be easier to fit in the box than a hard tool box too. :cheers:
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
Those soft tool bags are a good idea and less likely to rub a hole in something on corrugations. Hmmm and I am off to Bunnings this arvo :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
I've gone the other way. I have a hard plastic tool box (similar to the one in the first photo). I use it at home then when travelling pack it into the floor space behind the back seat of the car. Works well for me.

Mal

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »
Quote from: bullfrog
They don't rattle, will settle into shape & can pack things on top of it. Seems to be easier to fit in the box than a hard tool box too. :cheers:

Cheers Mr. This is wat I wanted to hear.. I'll go with one of the dewalt ones, I hope they are still good quality. Just not sure on size yet.

Thanks.

Sent using a computer, keyboard, mouse, screen, and electricity
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:46:40 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spurio

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »
Hey Lost,

Had the same issue, so I talk myself into a combination kit:

There are a few different kits around, I picked my one up in a tool shop but I have since seen them in Bunnings.

http://www.sidchrome.com.au/product/7866/69-piece-38-drive-metric-af-combination-tool-set?newproducts=true

http://www.vektools.com.au/stanley-hand-tools/stanley-59pce-socket-plier-tool-kit-p-9009.html

Takes up about the same room as a laptop bag and each tool has its place so you know if you left any behind.

I think stanley and sidchrome are all made in the same factory these days.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:50:05 PM by Spurio »

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »
I like soft bags as they don't waste space.  At the moment I use a miners canvas tote I had lying around.  I am keeping my eye out for a length of canvas from an old awning or similar (you see them on roadside chuckout sometimes) that I will simply pile all the tools on and roll them up.  This will double as a ground sheet to use when undertakning any repairs and do away with the need for a dedicated bag.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline graham

• I used to cruise, now i just PATROL
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • nrnr62
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
G,day Lost i brought a sidchrome toolbox (set of metric and imperial spanners same with a socket set 1/4 and 1/2 met and imp all in ametal toolbox with room to spare for hammer chisels files circlip pliers, and a full set of pliers)  the toolbox ,with the spanners and sockets was $200 with a dartboard cabinet  i brought it from trade tools on the gippy highway ,next door to the Kimberly dealer i got a funny feeling they still have them at that price ,but i could be wrong    cheers Graham
nrnr62

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
Those tote bags are great. I use this Snap on one http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=646915&group_ID=681882&store=australia&dir=catalog   for work and throw it in the camper when we go camping, you'll be suprised how much can fit in them, and for $60 its bloody good value. Ive had mine for over 6 yrs and its still going strong.  In mine I put all my hand tools. It holds all my metric and imperial hand spanners from 6mm (1/4") - 25mm (1") , My 1/4" and 1/2" drive metric / imperial socket sets up to 32mm - 1 1/4". Pliers (circlip, wire crimps cutter, linemans etc) - , butane solder set, files, oil filters strap, selection of electrical joiners, tapes, loctites etc. hammers, pry bars, 12pc screwdriver set, electrical mini screw driver set, multi meter.......etc etc  pretty much everything for roadside repairs. Only thing I cant fit is the 18v impact wrench and drill  ;D they both get thrown in beside it!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:08:23 PM by bnk08 »

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »
I have a good steel toolbox my young bloke made in year 9 metal work that holds all my sockets and heavier bits and pieces.
My tool belt holds all my normal stuff, meter, various screwdrivers, 2 shifters, pliers , side cutters, crimp lugs and connectors plus a fair range of common allen keys.
Both containers live in the back of the Paj
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline nick 08

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »
I have a soft bag from bunnings also cost about $10-$15 from memory and also a large canvas tool roll made buy MSA which is good for keeping all the single hand tools and bits and pieces neat.

Nick
08 Triton GLX R with all the gear
Trackabout Deluxe tourer camper

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »
I find it annoying that all these companies spend millions on rubbish, but cant have 1 photo of the inside of their bags showing "all the pockets and poo inside the bag " on their websites.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
Tool rolls are good, stop rubbing through anything, Also everything has a place and there's a place for everything.as mentioned, nothing gets left behind .
Tool bags aregoood, for easy packing and soft padding,  but its easy to do as I did, over pack it andcant close the zip, so I finally settle on a small plastic tool box that I made a dedicated place for. That's just for the toolbox.can no longer fill it with extras, if the lid doesn't close it doesn't go in.it fits square, always know where it is,and nothing else gets packed in its place.
Works for me.
good luck!
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
these also dont look bad to put in the other bag, but at $100 they can smoke me.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
I find it annoying that all these companies spend millions on rubbish, but cant have 1 photo of the inside of their bags showing "all the pockets and poo inside the bag " on their websites.

Hey lost I took a few photo's of mine today....also gave my a chance to give it a clean out  ;D

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:10:45 PM by bnk08 »

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
Good idea, something we are definitely getting after our incident on the weekend :/
2007 Holden Rodeo with 2012 Jayco Swan Outback :)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »
Quote from: bnk08
Hey lost I took a few photo's of mine today....also gave my a chance to give it a clean out  ;D

Love your work Mr... Thats an awesome lookin bit of gear.

Thanks, shame the companies didnt have that on their sites!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »
these also dont look bad to put in the other bag, but at $100 they can smoke me.

Plenty of other options
Google shopping results

I'd go for a couple of smaller ones, colour coded or at least with labels and chuck them in a larger bag like you suggested. 

Some of the ones at places like Repco, SCA, or Autobarn don't look bad on quality/price for the larger bags if you have one near you.

Currently my gear just slides around in the back of my Commodore in the packages they came in, so I'm not much help on picking things.

If you're still thinking about a metal one you can find some better ones than many stores stock at garage sales if you have the time and inclination.  I picked up a Geelong box for $20 in near perfect condition.  It had a can of expandable foam "leak" in it that I had to get out, took about 10 mins with some power tools to get it clean.  I know you're not after something that big, but simple things like that can have people basically chuck away some nice gear and if you happen to be around at the right time you can get a bargain.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:14:43 PM by johnyd »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »
Plenty of other options
Google shopping results

I'd go for a couple of smaller ones, colour coded or at least with labels and chuck them in a larger bag like you suggested. 

Some of the ones at places like Repco, SCA, or Autobarn don't look bad on quality/price for the larger bags if you have one near you.

Currently my gear just slides around in the back of my Commodore in the packages they came in, so I'm not much help on picking things.

Cheers Mr.
Been googling for them and other things on and off for a few days... I was plannin a trip to Bursons, Repco, Superrubbish, and others tomorrow on way to Pirahna offroad to look at.. stuff ;) 
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »
I have a hard bodied one that fits nicely in the drawer. I think i got it from bunnings, its a trojan brand and the compartments in the top are good for small bits and pieces. Sorry for the pic, just snapped it then in the dark and the rain

GG

Online jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »
These are very good bags, made for industrial jobs, but they are not cheep.
http://www.beehivevinyl.com.au/component/redshop/1/79/beehive-tool-bags

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »
Cheers Mr.
Been googling for them and other things on and off for a few days... I was plannin a trip to Bursons, Repco, Superrubbish, and others tomorrow on way to Pirahna offroad to look at.. stuff ;)

I figured you would've but thought I'd put the link in anyway. 

I like looking at "stuff" to, wander around the camping, auto and off-road stores around town quite often if I have time to kill.  Been half looking for a tool bag since the stuff I have slides around.  Most of the SCA and similar aren't terrible for the price, but they aren't that flash if you aren't worried about the price.  Don't even look at the cheap red metal toolboxes, blokes used to use them at boarding school to put drinks in the common fridge.  They ended up in pieces more often than not, and I don't think anyone even had tools.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 08:28:09 PM »
These are very good bags, made for industrial jobs, but they are not cheep.
http://www.beehivevinyl.com.au/component/redshop/1/79/beehive-tool-bags

Damm you JC, i think you cost me some money on that link >:D

GG

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »
pays to shop around

1- http://www.australiandirect.com.au/buy/large-tool-roll/PLURL (same seller on ebay!)
2 - http://www.msa4x4.com.au/Products/ToolRolls.asp

only $10 difference, but still $50 overpriced.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home