Author Topic: Hi Lift Jack - Do I really need one?????  (Read 30829 times)

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Hi Lift Jack - Do I really need one?????
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »
When I had mine , it went with the camper when I sold it , it was very handy when I had to check the bearings on the camper or change a tyre. As Stevo says it saves crawling under the camper with a bottle jack and a lot quicker. For the extra weight on the camper it does not worry me.

I now have to get another one for my new camper so any one who does not want theirs I am more than happy to give it a new home  ;D

Mark

Mark,

Would you believe i sold my Hi Lift Jack a little while back for $10 at a garage sale....i never used it ..... mind you i got it for free...... (don't ask exact details, but being the shift supervisor on a mine site on a saturday morning, and helping load 4 cruisers that were bought unseen onto a car carrier, may have had something to do with it >:D)...... anyway i reckon i'm one of few blokes who ever made money selling a Hi Lift Jack second hand :cheers:
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »
I bought one years ago for my HiLux... When I got the 80 it sat in the shed for years taking up room, until I got one of those HiLft Jack/Shovel holders for the Roof Rack,. Now it has somewhere to be....

I also have never used it on the 80 / HiLux yes 80 no  and I would be careful as said earlier you could dint your truck if it moves on you...   besides unless you have Steel Bars front rear and even side steps where are you going to jack from it is pretty much even less use to you...

I have a Kaymar rear step and TJM front Steel bar so there are places to lift....  We are heading to Fraser Island next month and since I already have the bloody thing I bought a  LiftMate http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html  and made up a jacking plate for the sand...

No good for changing wheels but lifted the wheel high and easily,  with Jack stands at home it would be a breeze to jack the 80 up,  But I have a 2 1/2 tonne trolley jack for that so for me not much use (for me),  if you didn't have a trolley jack then yes you could use it with the aide of one of those Lift mates and 6 tonne Jack stands 'Bingo' you could have your 4x4 on blocks in 5 minutes...  just be careful not to break a window or ding the body.... 

I wouldn't buy one today,,,,
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 12:17:56 PM »
I bought one 25 years ago it was called a farm jack and i don't live on a farm so maybe that's why it sits in the corner of the shed  ;D

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 12:34:46 PM »
At Great Divide 4WD training last year they were discouraging the use of high lift jacks due to safety, and encouraging people to use exhaust jacks.   They went so far as to demo usage of the exhaust jack.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »
Hi,
   went to a club weekend some months ago, where the more experienced members showed some of us newbie types the 'how and why' on winching, tyre changing and various jacks, high-lift and exhaust included.
It was shown that if you want to lift the vehicle to the heights obtainable with those two tools, you must plan for some instability, especially if both wheels on an axle leave the ground.
I only have a couple of bottle jacks, and am not sure if a high-lift is any use to me with a slide-on camper on the tray, I just can't get the jack close enough to the body to get a lift.
It fits the ARB bar ok, but unless I design something into the rear of the next tray I get that will accept the high-lift, I doubt I will get one.
The exhaust jack just looks scary, and I wonder if it can be used on the rear of a cab-chassis with all the bare metal work there any way. Looks WAY too prickly for an inflated bag to press against, even with padding.
cheers

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »
Aren't Hi-Lifts an ornament you strap to your car when you go shopping, so that all other shoppers know you think your hard core and go camping.
Usually results in free parking bay spaces both sides of you.

Can usually be seen above the 'my family's stickers on most 'off-road ' shopping cars.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:37 PM »
I agree with no... never ever seen someone use one offroad ever!

But they do look pretty welded to the roofrack or hanging off the back door covered in dirt.

Come up for a drive at Glasshouse, Bruce - we get the highlift out regularly when Purplebus is with us :)

Some vehicles just can't be lifted with a bottle jack! Or an exhaust jack, or even a trolley jack...

2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 07:15:57 AM »
I have not used mine in a couple years.
But I know deep down in my heart that the trip I do not take it on is the time I will need it.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and have it sitting at home in the shed.
It has its rightful place on Nav, therefore I take it on all my offroad trips...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 09:48:02 AM »
I can see the benefits of these as a recovery tool....so I want one...but what size? 48 or 60 inch lift...4 ft or 5 ft???? I have a 100 series TD IFS with 2 inch lift. currently the standard toyota jack will only lift the front end high enough to get a front wheel of if I use a 35mm timber packer (hardwood of course). I have a 2 ton trolly jack that just wont quite get the front wheel off the ground without help from timber packers again :'( . Now that's unstable.

I intend to do plenty of remote touring in the near future so the hi lift will probably get some use...but what size?
[insert witty comment]

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Hi Lift Jack - Do I really need one?????
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
I've got a similar vehicle and believe the 48" jack would be adequate.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
I hoped it would....even though it's only another 12 inches....weight adds up quickly.

Cheers.
[insert witty comment]

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. The majority rules.

I have a roof rack for an 80 series for sale in the classifieds thread and it now comes with a FREE Hi Lift Jack and carry brackets;D

One less bit of clutter in the shed.

Regards

Jas
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:22:32 PM by Jason B »

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
currently the standard toyota jack will only lift the front end high enough to get a front wheel of if I use a 35mm timber packer (hardwood of course). I have a 2 ton trolly jack that just wont quite get the front wheel off the ground without help from timber packers again :'( . Now that's unstable.

If you think your current jack with hardwood packers is unstable then be very cautious with the hilift.

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 06:23:42 PM »
If you think your current jack with hardwood packers is unstable then be very cautious with the hilift.

Its unstable because I have to use timber packers to get the Cruiser high enough to remove the wheel....i understand the dangers of the device. Stable platform and use of chassis stands....or the spare wheel under the lifted corner will provide some safety. My main use for this item is for all the places where you can't get a bottle jack under the chassis.....like when you're hung up in a rock or log.
[insert witty comment]
The following users thanked this post: Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »
I would say the high lift jack has lost its crown as the "Bolt on/never use but makes me look like I go offroad" accessory on 4wds....

It took 20+ years to lose its mantle, but the ROLL OUT AWNING has now taken its place.

The dude with the Subaru still comes into work with one bolted on... and he isn't one of these
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »
Its unstable because I have to use timber packers to get the Cruiser high enough to remove the wheel....i understand the dangers of the device. Stable platform and use of chassis stands....or the spare wheel under the lifted corner will provide some safety. My main use for this item is for all the places where you can't get a bottle jack under the chassis.....like when you're hung up in a rock or log.

Might be better to get an inflatable bag type jack ?? Like this --
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-4x4-4WD-Off-Road-4-Tonne-Multi-Layer-Car-Truck-Van-Exhaust-Air-Jack-Kit-/262081037154?hash=item3d053f4362:g:e3gAAOSwLVZV6QrB
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:14:02 AM by Mandrake »
Going back to basics - sort of ...

scrapsD40

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 10:53:19 AM »
Hi-lift jacks pretty good for removing star stakes out of ground. Outside of that, never used one on a 4by.

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »
always had one, again never used it on the 4wd
have used it to level up the kids cubby to sit on blocks, remove star pickets and other things
it has been useful just not on the 4wd

:cheers:
Adam
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 12:46:30 PM »
I am reluctant to use mine on my Cruiser, though I have. I've found mine invaluable for trailers and other peoples vehicle, for moving things and especially useful for compressing gas struts.

Mine lives on my Cruiser's roof, so it doesn't look as nice and shiny these days. On te other side is my awning, which whilst I don't use it often, I love it every time i do use it.
Julian

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 12:58:32 PM »
I would say the high lift jack has lost its crown as the "Bolt on/never use but makes me look like I go offroad" accessory on 4wds....

The hi lift 4wd mantle has been replaced by the Maxtrax
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2016, 01:04:31 PM »
I find it an invaluable tool. Changing tyres, adjusting brakes and while I've not needed it for recovery, I can see where it will be a handy labour saver. I've said it before; know the dangers, understand its limitations and use it safely.
The long handled shovel would be the most useful bit of kit but the Hi-lift isn't that far behind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[insert witty comment]

Offline Team Evil

• Swag User
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2016, 01:07:23 PM »
I would make sure there is at least one in a convoy.

The attachments for rims and bars makes it more useful.

Used mine to lift the v8 cruiser chassis to remove
the alternator easily over the diff.

Greg

2010 Lc76
2013 Explorer Lawson 9ft Soft Floor

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
Quote from: Roo
I find it an invaluable tool. Changing tyres, adjusting brakes and while I've not needed it for recovery,
I think using dynamite would be safer than a hi lift for any of those...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Dueller

• Tent User
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »
I got rid of mine pretty much because I have never used it. I now carry the standard Toyota wind up jack and also got a secondary kingchrome hydraulic bottle jack. I kept the plastic base I had from my hi lift as it helps in soft ground and I also included a Safe Jack kit from Proquip which allows you to add extensions to the standard bottle jack ram as well as a few different heads to jack up onto tube shapes or spread the load over a larger, flatter surface.

Cheers,
Matt
My Customline Off Road Tracker Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=38826.0

LC76 Series build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=42595.msg709322#msg709322

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2016, 01:57:13 PM »
 :worthles:
I got rid of mine pretty much because I have never used it. I now carry the standard Toyota wind up jack and also got a secondary kingchrome hydraulic bottle jack. I kept the plastic base I had from my hi lift as it helps in soft ground and I also included a Safe Jack kit from Proquip which allows you to add extensions to the standard bottle jack ram as well as a few different heads to jack up onto tube shapes or spread the load over a larger, flatter surface.

Cheers,
Matt
Julian