Author Topic: question for Jayco camper owners...Roof carring capacity  (Read 7322 times)

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
question for Jayco camper owners...Roof carring capacity
« on: October 29, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
Hi Jayco,owners I have a question.
My daughter is going to sell her Jayco hawk pop up camper (older model but in extremely great nick)
It has the typical 4 corner uprights that a crank handle attaches to and thus lifts/elevates the roof and canvas into position.
My question is if I had a light weight 50 kg aluminium dinghy on the roof does the cranking mechanism have the capacity to lift 50 kg with it left on the roof rather than having to remove it each time you wish to lift it.
Also with the corner roof jacking legs when the roof is up are you able to lock them (eg with a pin etc) because I gather the mechanism works with cables to elevate the roof.
Kind Regards John
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline ehsc

• FIRE EARTH MOON STARS THATS LIVING
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • JUST DO IT
Re: question for Jayco camper owners...Roof carring capacity
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
Hi John
Not sure but i think the limit is about 40kgs you would have to check with jayco They do put air con units on roofs with the new models.
I have a 2005 dove outback with a boat rack I have taken the rack off as for when you camp you had to take the boat off a real pain for a over night stop.
The four corner post are realy only there as a guid for the lifting rods to slide in they dont actually fix to anything other that the roofs sides The only way to secure them is to place 4 piece of timber ect cut to lenght for when roof is open.hope info helps

:ehsc
2017 Isuxu D-max
2003 Jayco Freedom Outback

Offline Cammo

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »
albany_nomads

We have a Swan and were told to remove everything off the roof rack before raising the top.

Also check with the weight limit as it may be 100kg

Regards

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:03:46 PM »
albany_nomads

We have a Swan and were told to remove everything off the roof rack before raising the top.

Also check with the weight limit as it may be 100kg

Regards
Was at Jayco Mildura today and noticed the label on a new Outback Swan that gave a maximum weight limit of 100kg for the roof rack, back can't comment on older models, or whether you have to remove loads before lifting the roof. (agree with the earlier comment that air con units are fitted to the roof, circa 40kg.  Our new Swan came with 2 metal poles that you use to prop up the roof to take the strain off the lifting mechanism - could easily make something similar.
Paul
2011 Jayco Swan; (about to be upgraded to 2015 Jayco Basestation); 2013 Nissan Navara 2.5 ST Auto

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:17:53 AM »
I would be worried with the boat on the roof whilst raised what would happen on a big wind gust being top end heavy something is bound to bend twist or snap
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy