Author Topic: Look what my camper did to my ute!  (Read 17856 times)

Offline tinkera

• Tent User
Re: Look what my camper did to my ute!
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
To a trained eye fish plates are a dead giveaway to a problem.Insurance company won the day on this one.Tinkera.

Offline Tuco

• Tent User
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »
All fixed and sorted... welded with a diamond shaped plate front and rear (each side and a sold piece of steal under the break. Now stronger than before - guarenteed not to break in the same place.

$3,000.00 to fix though

bloody AAMI only paid $2,000.00 cause they didnt want to enforce or strengthen the repair - so left me high and drey

nice to drive now - but refuse to tow my camper now!

Hi Alby,
nice to see that you have had the Ford sorted out - but probably not 100% happy because you now realise that you can't tow your camper with it.

Unfortunately we are in a similar predicament with our 2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 / Tvan Murranji combo.
Poor ride in the Ranger after connecting the loaded CT had me investigating the ball weight. Even with only basics in the kitchen, no fridge in the CT, Porta-Potti,  2KVA Yamaha generator and both water tanks full - it was 219Kg on the ball! Loading examples shown in the owners manual suggest that this could be as high as 250 Kg!
The plate on the genuine Ford towbar showed a ball max of 180Kg. To clarify that a little - the Ford bar can take 250Kg on the ball PROVIDED a load levelling device (WDH) is used. But WDH's and off-road hitches don't go arm in arm!

The ball weight with the trailer completely empty, except 2 full 4Kg gas bottles but no water - is 166Kg. This is reflected on the trailer VIN plate. The Tvan towed OK at this weight.
The 166 Kg ball tare is only 14Kg short of the Ford max capability - so very carefull loading is necessary and things like the generator, porta-potti and also the spare trailer wheel need to be moved from the CT to the rear of the ute. All these items are normally stored in front of the trailer axle and will impact on the ball weight.

So in order for us to be able to tow the Tvan we have to do some serious load calculations and not fill the front water tank. This isn't really a problem for us as I have fitted a 60 L water tank in the Ranger - so would only need the extra water capacity if venturing into a remote dry area.

I think if we continued to overload the ball weight, then we risk a similar situation to what you have been through. Rear chassis damage seems to be a common problem with all brands of japanese light crew cab utes. Have seen many with the 'broken back' syndrome.

Incidentally Hayman Reese can supply a 300Kg ball rated towbar for my Ranger - but this wouldn't help the chassis situation which is basicly too light in my opinion.

Happy camping ... Tuco
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:32:38 PM by Tuco »
Nissan Patrol GU7 ST - Jayco Sterling OB 17.55-4

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
Quote from: OzJeeper
Sell/flog it ASAP - it's a liability waiting to fail.
x eleventy tweleveteen
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
Wow Tuco, who would have thought the Tvan would weigh so much.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »
This should fix it!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/toyota-landcruiser-1994-11611781?cr=1&vertical=Car&Range=Price:Min,25000~1&silo=Stock&sort=default&eapi=2&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294962861 4294962570&distance=25&find=6%20wheeler|CarAll

Deposit paid!!

Cant wait!
Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »
hi alby how is up there truck looks good

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »
Hi Alby,
nice to see that you have had the Ford sorted out - but probably not 100% happy because you now realise that you can't tow your camper with it.

Unfortunately we are in a similar predicament with our 2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 / Tvan Murranji combo.
Poor ride in the Ranger after connecting the loaded CT had me investigating the ball weight. Even with only basics in the kitchen, no fridge in the CT, Porta-Potti,  2KVA Yamaha generator and both water tanks full - it was 219Kg on the ball! Loading examples shown in the owners manual suggest that this could be as high as 250 Kg!
The plate on the genuine Ford towbar showed a ball max of 180Kg. To clarify that a little - the Ford bar can take 250Kg on the ball PROVIDED a load levelling device (WDH) is used. But WDH's and off-road hitches don't go arm in arm!

The ball weight with the trailer completely empty, except 2 full 4Kg gas bottles but no water - is 166Kg. This is reflected on the trailer VIN plate. The Tvan towed OK at this weight.
The 166 Kg ball tare is only 14Kg short of the Ford max capability - so very carefull loading is necessary and things like the generator, porta-potti and also the spare trailer wheel need to be moved from the CT to the rear of the ute. All these items are normally stored in front of the trailer axle and will impact on the ball weight.

So in order for us to be able to tow the Tvan we have to do some serious load calculations and not fill the front water tank. This isn't really a problem for us as I have fitted a 60 L water tank in the Ranger - so would only need the extra water capacity if venturing into a remote dry area.

I think if we continued to overload the ball weight, then we risk a similar situation to what you have been through. Rear chassis damage seems to be a common problem with all brands of japanese light crew cab utes. Have seen many with the 'broken back' syndrome.

Incidentally Hayman Reese can supply a 300Kg ball rated towbar for my Ranger - but this wouldn't help the chassis situation which is basicly too light in my opinion.

Happy camping ... Tuco

You just had me worried
We bought the Tracktrailer Topaz because of it's weight as I have a hilux with a maximum tow of 2250kg ball weight of 250Kg which i have never checked out.
Just ran out and had a look the Topaz Tare is only 1550Kg which I knew but the ball weight is only 90KG so i think i should be right

Moving things to the back of the car must be a pain but I am glad you found out be it was too late

Offline Tuco

• Tent User
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 06:33:28 PM »
You just had me worried
We bought the Tracktrailer Topaz because of it's weight as I have a hilux with a maximum tow of 2250kg ball weight of 250Kg which i have never checked out.
Just ran out and had a look the Topaz Tare is only 1550Kg which I knew but the ball weight is only 90KG so i think i should be right

Moving things to the back of the car must be a pain but I am glad you found out be it was too late

Hi oldblade - your Topaz appears to be well balanced - unlike the Murranji that we bought. It is very front heavy probably due to the addition of the box with fridge slide and storage.

The VIN plate on our Murranji shows a tare of 1049 Kg and ball weight of 166 Kg - but the ball weight changes dramaticly when both water tanks are filled and things like a fridge, porta-potti and generator are added to the front storage box. Puts us way over the Ford Ranger towbar plated figures.

happy camping ... Tuco   
Nissan Patrol GU7 ST - Jayco Sterling OB 17.55-4