Author Topic: Classifieds and other suggestions  (Read 6897 times)

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
Classifieds and other suggestions
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
Ive been looking at different items for sale at the moment and have noticed that the list is not very current....

I know the moderators are busy ( I learnt a lot this weekend about the ins and outs of MySwag) but was wondering if it was reasonable for anyone who has an item for sale to possibly to do the following?

Suggestions re Camper trailers for sale

1. In title mention hard floor or soft floor as I have no idea of the different types of trailers they are by their name or model
2. replace the title with "SOLD" when it has been collected and paid for ... lots of variations to advising that the item is no longer available exist.... and often in the last update... so lots of time is spent looking only to find at the end the item is no longer available.

Re general Items for sale

1. mention item location in title
2. replace the title with "SOLD" when it has been collected and paid for ... lots of variations to advising that the item is no longer available exist.... and often in the last update... so lots of time is spent looking only to find at the end the item is no longer available.

These simple ideas may speed up the moderators efforts to edit and update items no longer for sale to keep the list of "for sale" classifieds shorter and easier to browse.

I must add that the classifieds have been kind to me helping me in locating items that I have secured.. thanks MySwag team!

Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Classifieds and other suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:39:51 AM »
On another forum I'm on you have to start with the following which makes it very clear and easy:

ITEM:
TO SUIT:
CONDITION:
REASON FOR SELLING:
PRICE AND PRICE CONDITIONS:
Then you can write your sales pitch.  It gives you the info you want vey easily without having to read though everything to find out that the item isn't quite wht you wanted.

The mods delete anything that doesn't have this format too so it stays consistent.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
I think location in the subject like would be the greatest addition even if it was SOUTH MELBOURNE or similar...

some people dont have their location in their profile.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rotor138

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:50:05 PM »
On another forum I'm on you have to start with the following which makes it very clear and easy:

ITEM:
TO SUIT:
CONDITION:
REASON FOR SELLING:
PRICE AND PRICE CONDITIONS:
Then you can write your sales pitch.  It gives you the info you want vey easily without having to read though everything to find out that the item isn't quite wht you wanted.

The mods delete anything that doesn't have this format too so it stays consistent.

This happens on a couple of forums that I have been on and works brilliantly. Have a sticky with the template. Mods delete all posts that don't use this format and eventually everyone tows the line.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:03:33 AM »
Also there should be no post in the classified section. This will stop peanuts just posting things like " i had one of them,i didnt really like it" or other pointless comments on the sale item.
All communication should be through PM
The outer limits system seems to work
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:09:33 AM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:25:26 AM »
i don't think we should replace the whole title with SOLD once it is SOLD.. more so, just update it so that it can reflect the item has been sold and still shows information about the item.

i believe each classified section should have it's own archive though, so anything that is sold gets moved there and locked, so we can use it as a research point in the future. this should help to clear up the items that are still relevant or not.

dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:33:10 AM »
i don't think we should replace the whole title with SOLD once it is SOLD.. more so, just update it so that it can reflect the item has been sold and still shows information about the item.

i believe each classified section should have it's own archive though, so anything that is sold gets moved there and locked, so we can use it as a research point in the future. this should help to clear up the items that are still relevant or not.

dan

I like the idea of archiving the add!
Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
Most of the idea sounds good to me, at least with SOLD being obvious, it prevents wasted time when perusing ads and could simplify searching for something.
I can see an advantage in leaving the item description and price after the sale to help evaluate the true value on future similar items.
I can't see why a "reason for selling" is relevant. If it wasn't as advertised, useless crap, wrong colour, unwanted gift etc. is basically no interest to me when I am buying something, and if I'm selling, and if the item didn't work to expectations, the last thing I would tell any prospective purchaser is that it wasn't worth keeping. It just seems to open up a negativity to an item.
Cheers
Ian

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
Also there should be no post in the classified section. This will stop peanuts just posting things like " i had one of them,i didnt really like it" or other pointless comments on the sale item.
Yep, that works well. Also stops crap like 'I can get them new for less than that' yet when you put them on the spot they cant...

All communication should be through PM
x eleventy.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »
We can't archive.

I agree, the title should be updated with SOLD, but retain the original description.

There should be no negative comments posted against any item, though I believe positive comments and questions are reasonable, as they potentially inform interested parties.

Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 02:00:11 PM »
I just appreciate having this section on my swag as I sold my camper thanks to it.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »
Once a month when I remember I clear all item in the classified sections that have not had a post made in the last 60 days.
Cheers
Brett

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »
We can't archive.

by archiving i mean moving them to another thread/section - not possible?
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 06:48:55 AM »
We can't archive.

I agree, the title should be updated with SOLD, but retain the original description.

There should be no negative comments posted against any item, though I believe positive comments and questions are reasonable, as they potentially inform interested parties.

There is a good reason why there should be no post in the classified section right now
Living the Dream.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 07:47:20 AM »
I think it comes back to manners, each person who has posted a add can at any time EDIT the add. Manners are not common these days and it is a pity. Once the item has been sold or removed from sale the seller should EDIT the add and state that the item is sold.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »
I have fixed that thread in Classifieds. That is exactly the sort of behaviour that is unacceptable.

To all members, if you see that, just report the post and we'll fix it. The negative poster will get a polite warning as well.

I am still of the opinion that questions posted against an item are useful. eBay offers this, although with the ability for the seller to display the question or not as they choose.
Julian

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 09:49:58 AM »
Jules perhaps a few words in this Sticky thread in the classifieds area would help to guide people as to what is acceptable and what is not when making replies to adverts.

Rules for the Classifieds - Please Read
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:07:35 AM by Gunna Do »

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 10:02:48 AM »
Julian

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 10:52:27 AM »
Quote from: bigjules
I am still of the opinion that questions posted against an item are useful. eBay offers this, although with the ability for the seller to display the question or not as they choose.
It only ever seems an issue when forums get really big. EG: outers etc.

What about making by PM only so crap doesnt get posted, with the option for the seller to add the info to the post if he likes (so not locked).

If he gets asked the same stuff over and over, he will soon get the shirts with 20 PM's a day with same question. That would make it *sort of* like Ebay, and save the mods watching every post..

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »
Let's see how it goes for a while.

By the way, on that other thread, all fixed. No names no pack drill, but the poster realised they'd done the wrong thing, apologised to all involved and made it right. That one is settled.
Julian

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 07:11:51 PM »
Just on the classified section. What about having a minimum number of post, say 10 before you can place an ad.. Seems a lot of people are just using the forum as the trading post and not contributing....
Just a thought
Living the Dream.

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 07:20:47 PM »
Yer a bit rude that, no hi, kiss my butt or thanks for the hello just here's what i want to sell. See ya...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:47:27 PM by dno »
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »
Just on the classified section. What about having a minimum number of post, say 10 before you can place an ad.. Seems a lot of people are just using the forum as the trading post and not contributing....
Just a thought

Fair thought Darren, But then you would just get 10/15/20 posts of worthless cr@p to get to a point where they can put their item up for sale.
Whilst we are not the Trading Post, My thought is we have to wear the sales only members as they may offer an option for a member, Who will contribute something, who is looking for a camper (at whatever price point), But cant afford new prices.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »
At first I thought people posting in the classifieds as their first post on the forum was a bit rude, but if it allows a Myswag member to buy a bargain then perhaps it's not such a bad thing.

Offline bigred

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 10:05:17 PM »
Hi Lads

I joined myswag looking to buy a CT a few months ago. I understand the issue of people joining up just to sell or buy something. However, as a result of wanting to do that I have spent numerous hours reading through the forums. Not in great position to add much wisdom yet but heading in the right direction. I would think that a number of your members start this way and develop into valued contributors.

Regards

Bigred
120 prado KK Limited Ed