Author Topic: Fridge Not Working on 240v  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Fridge Not Working on 240v
« on: February 04, 2022, 12:59:26 PM »
Maybe this should have gone in the Electrical Section but here goes

I have a fridge that has stopped working on 240v but still works on 12v. No error codes just everything blank

In my limited experience have only heard of fridges stopping working on 12v and that seems to be trend on Google. Anyone here had that happen and have any idea what may be the issue and any idea of the cost to sort out?

The fridge is just over 12 months old and covered under warranty however (my slackness) I never kept a copy of my invoice as proof of purchase so the manufacturer won't talk to me about it. This has annoyed me a bit as I bought it from their factory on the Sunshine Coast so would have thought that would be able to tell from the serial number when it was sold. It astounds me in this day and age we still have to keep copies of our receipts / invoices. Hoping that a copy of our credit card statement may suffice but haven't tested that yet so will have to wait and see.

Pretty sure that a service agent will charge me to diagnose and didn't really want to be down $ just to diagnose + the cost of repair so any help is much appreciated on the cause and possible cost

Cheers

Rod

Offline Ranger_Scott

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Fridge Not Working on 240v
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 01:20:13 PM »
I would bet that it's the 240v cable or transformer? Maybe get a local tradie to test it? My electrical experience seems to be at the same levels as yours though.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 01:33:01 PM »
They will have records. If you paid with a card you should be OK pinpointing the date, so they can lookup their records. If you paid cash it will be harder.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 04:35:08 PM »
That mob on the Sunshine has changed hands or something. A few months ago I went in there for a part for a fridge. The same part that I had bought for another fridge, though 10 months earlier. First time was $26.00 the second time was $146.00. I even had the old docket because it had the part number, I was promptly told that was the old price by the previous owner/management and this is the new price.

Dan.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 04:44:09 PM »
.....I was promptly told that was the old price by the previous owner/management and this is the new price.

..and what were they promptly told??
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 10:28:37 AM »
From your bank statement or credit card statement there should be a transaction number that the seller can look up and print off a copy of receipt.  Use a bit at Bunnings when lost receipts.

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 10:57:42 AM »
sex and travel.... lol
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »

Where to go in no uncertain matter.

Dan.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 07:35:08 PM »
Thanks all. We have searched through and have found the credit card transaction. My faulty memory though cause we actually bought it in May 2020 so 18 months old not 12 as I first thought and my daughter used her card for me as I had left mine at home so think it may be in her name (funny how you forget these things until you start digging). Not sure if I am now out of warranty so will investigate that further and see how I go. Hopefully either way they will be good about it

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 06:12:05 AM »
18 months on a fridge ???

I would think that under Consumer Law you certainly should still be covered! >:(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Fridge Not Working on 240v
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 06:45:28 AM »
Same
I’m pretty sure that most fridges have at least 2 yr warranty. I thought weaco was 5 years.
Accc would expect at least 5 years from memory. Just mention that you are talking to the accc and your consumer rights and I think that they will come to the party.

Sent from me
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 06:48:48 AM by lloydus67 »

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 09:20:39 AM »
Even if it is 18 months old and the warranty is only 12 months the Australian Consumer Law is clear. Have a read of the attached but, in summary, irrespective of the warranty offered, ACL states that the manufacturer/seller has an obligation to ensure appropriate quality and that the item lasts a ‘reasonable’ period (ie a reasonable period for a $1k fridge might be at least 5 years, but only months for a $5 toy bought from a ‘Dollar Shop’).

I have had to remind companies of this legislation several times but they have always warrantied stuff out of their warranty period once ‘reminded’.

https://consumer.gov.au/sites/consumer/files/inline-files/ACL-guidance-durability_0.pdf
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 12:21:10 PM »
As an update to this as I have learned a couple of things that I didn't know in the warranty claim space.

1. A credit card / bank statement is not enough as proof of purchase. Will add that the manufacturer's warranty people did look their records up for me and have found the invoice / receipt and they have emailed to me. Was made a little harder as my daughter put it in her name when she collected it for me.

2. The fridge in question has a two year warranty. I found this interesting based on some of your replies on what would constitute a reasonable expectation of life. Works for me either way as it is within the two years for me

Have to now get it to an approved Service Agent for repair (80klm one way drive) so hopefully can be fixed without too much drama

Thanks for the comments 

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 05:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 07:05:05 AM »

1. A credit card / bank statement is not enough as proof of purchase.

Not arguing, but that goes against everything that I've ever heard said by the various "experts" talking about warranty claims!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 09:11:16 AM »
Don't disagree Fizzie.

When they advised me of that I went back to them and said a few choice things which is when they assisted a bit more in finding the invoice. I can maybe understand when you buy from a distributor but in my case I bought direct from the factory and probably expected a bit more sophistication in their records

All worked out well though in the end (not fixed yet though so fingers crossed)
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 09:27:55 AM »
I think some companies are easier to deal with than others, in that respect. I have returned an item to BigW, with no receipt, and bought for cash. I told them the day and approx time I was in there (about 2 weeks earlier), and they were able to look through their records and confirmed that I purchased it when I said I did. Cash refund, no worries.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out eventually..
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.
The following users thanked this post: Rodt

Offline Dale Goslin

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2022, 07:36:35 PM »
Hi, I'm not an expert, but I have a couple of guesses as to what might be going on: I assume that the fridge is running off a DC circuit, with the alternator of your van putting out 12V, and the refrigerator powered from that? Is the fridge working correctly when you connect it directly to the battery (no inverter or other stuff in between)? Is the DC output that the fridge is getting from the van battery the same as the AC output from the mains? If it's not, then the fridge might not be able to properly control its internal temperature, and the cooling elements will turn on and off randomly until something fails. The voltage difference could be caused by a bad connection, or by a low-voltage cutout on the inverter. The first thing to do would be to check that the fridge is not getting any power from the 12V circuit at all. Check the battery connection, and also try to connect it to the battery directly, without going through the inverter. If it's not getting any power at all, either it's not getting connected to the DC circuit, or it's not working right. If it's the former, the wiring is probably bad. If it's the latter, then you may need a new fridge (on warranty).

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2022, 11:53:21 PM »
Hi, I'm not an expert, but I have a couple of guesses as to what might be going on: I assume that the fridge is running off a DC circuit, with the alternator of your van putting out 12V, and the refrigerator powered from that? Is the fridge working correctly when you connect it directly to the battery (no inverter or other stuff in between)? Is the DC output that the fridge is getting from the van battery the same as the AC output from the mains? If it's not, then the fridge might not be able to properly control its internal temperature, and the cooling elements will turn on and off randomly until something fails. The voltage difference could be caused by a bad connection, or by a low-voltage cutout on the inverter. The first thing to do would be to check that the fridge is not getting any power from the 12V circuit at all. Check the battery connection, and also try to connect it to the battery directly, without going through the inverter. If it's not getting any power at all, either it's not getting connected to the DC circuit, or it's not working right. If it's the former, the wiring is probably bad. If it's the latter, then you may need a new fridge (on warranty).

You stuffed your URL.. and the rest of your post makes no sense what so ever...

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2022, 09:06:35 AM »

Thanks Dale. Working fine on 12v. It is the 240v input that it doesn't work with

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2022, 02:23:05 PM »
If I read between the lines, I think what Dale was asking is
Does it not work on 240 straight from the house or only in the van when running on your inverter.

Sent from me

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2022, 02:45:40 PM »
Thanks mate for the interpreting.

It stopped working while it was plugged into a 240v plug in the house