Author Topic: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.  (Read 302961 times)

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Re: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« Reply #525 on: April 03, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »
That one is a bit skewed with the logarithmic scale on the left. Looks like things are levelling when it is still climbing father each day.
Also try to compare absolute number with Australia and China. Should instead per per capita  per 1,000,000 people.

If it wasnt logarithmic the lower graph lines wouldnt be  noticeable, they wouldnt rise much above the bottom axis. The table would have to be 2m tall to effectively allow all data sets to be viewed.....

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/2/21201832/novel-coronavirus-covid-19-best-graphs-tracking-data

:cheers:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:54:46 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #527 on: April 03, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »
Fact or fiction with Covid19 eh?

Well we know now for 80% this new virus strain is not a threat but with our flu season coming up what is a threat is the medical system being overrun. So the last thing it needs is a bunch of ignorant snowflakes clogging it up with your average sniffles coughs and runny noses as they have to triage you quickly and spit you off back home to get over it like so-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/im-treating-too-many-young-people-for-the-coronavirus/ar-BB11LhLQ
and like so-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/coronavirus/ill-only-get-tested-when-im-dying-fit-and-healthy-ex-soldier-33-says-she-was-turned-away-from-a-coronavirus-testing-centre-and-a-hospital-despite-suffering-severe-symptoms/ar-BB11QdXr

Well I'd be certain I just got over what the death defying tattooed young lady had (man was my throat on fire one night there). So why didn't I think I was going to die being in the 20 percenters and bothering the medical system like that? Because when Wuhan reared it's ugly head I'd already done my homework and had access to hard data when I came down with her symptoms and  I'm feeling like crap too. Here's a couple of videos that explain what I already knew and was prepared for-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmxcVFwn6us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMiSUfZtyU
Unlike the tattooed lady (who didn't even know her temp) I had no fever and my oxygen haemoglobin levels were in the healthy range so just rest up and get over it as you do.

We're coming up to the flu season folks and it could be serious one.(like the 2017-18 one in the US that bumped off 80,000 of them) If you catch a cold (due to any number of coronaviruses), pharyngitis, laryngitis or influenza all with lots of similar symptoms to Covid19 you need to know if things are getting serious with fever and oxygen levels, the latter indicating compromised lung function which could get serious. So rather than bothering the stretched medical system with your minor ailments and afflictions you need to triage yourself and nowadays every home should have those two important and inexpensive tools to do exactly that. If you don't have those you're flying blind here and you'll likely be clogging up the medical system with background noise just like they were.

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #528 on: April 03, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »
If you're searching the net or ebay just search 'pulse oximeter' and you'll find the small fingertip ones etc (Contec and Oled ones are fine and they all come out of China)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fingertip-Blood-Oxygen-Meter-OLED-Pulse-Heart-Rate-SpO2-Monitor-Oximeter-AU/283829370923

But if you have an infant you might consider one of these for the family-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/han-held-Pulse-Oximeter-Blood-Oxygen-Monitor-SPO2-Monitor-With-Software-3-Probe/123049616746
and note the foot connection for bubs although there are supposedly the simple small ones too but whether they fit bubs is a moot point-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pediatric-Fingertip-Pulse-Oximeter-Oxygen-SPO2-Monitor-for-Children-Kids-CMS50QA/122859975359

I know a 3 year old uses one of these because an adult one is too large for a consistent reading-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pulse-Oximeter-C53-Child/164094359086

I don't think you'll find any left on the shelf at chemists or onshore for that matter although with China starting up again there might be local sellers with stocks again.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #529 on: April 03, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »
If you are buying a pulse oximeter use it when you are well to establish a baseline so that when you are unwell you have representative numbers to tell the paramedics if needed.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #530 on: April 04, 2020, 05:02:50 PM »
Working from home for a tradie.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« Reply #531 on: April 04, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »
I’ve been reading and hearing some stories recently about people abusing nurses for wearing their uniforms in public.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8183873/Drastic-new-rules-nurses-follow-thugs-continue-hurl-sickening-abuse-them.html

Obviously this is completely unacceptable and should never be tolerated in our society.
Not only because of the awesome job our nurses and medical staff do to help all of us, but mostly because it’s not their fault they have to wear the uniforms in public.

Many hospitals in Australia don’t give the staff an option to have their uniforms correctly cleaned with the rest of the contaminated goods from the wards (sheets, towels, blankets, scrubs, etc).
Some hospitals don’t even offer proper amenities for staff to clean up and get changed out of their contaminated uniforms (most do, but some don’t). Meaning the staff are forced to walk out of the hospital and hop in a bus or train, potentially exposing all of the innocent public to any number of infections (not just coronavirus) and take their uniforms home to wash with all of their other clothes.

It has been proven many times that domestic washing of healthcare uniforms is one of the primary cause of healthcare associated infections.
Uniforms improperly washed at home can cause secondary such infections. Meaning if uniforms washed at home don’t meet the strict disinfection criteria that industrial washing does, the uniform can recontaminate clean hands.

So it’s partly because of the hospitals and partly because of tax incentives for doing their laundry at home, that these poor hard working nurses are put into this terrible position that we see today.

Australia and the UK are the last few countries that still allow frontline healthcare workers to leave hospitals in their uniforms (or at least get changed and take their uniforms home) to be washed in uncontrolled environments.

Europe has had strict controls over all healthcare uniforms for many years and in general their secondary infection rates are substantially lower then ours.

So personally, I don’t blame anyone for giving people wearing healthcare uniforms in public a wide birth, but please don’t ever let them be abused.

If you want to shout at someone, your local MP has an email address. ;)
Ask them why they are allowing these uniforms out into the public and not keeping them in the hospitals with all of the other contaminated items.
I’m sure they’ll all love to hear how you think they shouldn’t let these overworked healthcare staff expose the public to this unnecessary risk.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:53:29 PM by Pete79 »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #532 on: April 04, 2020, 09:33:04 PM »
Spot on Pete ..  Knowing the hard work / hours these people do,  the last thing they need at the end of a long shift is someone abusing them for something that is out of their control .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #533 on: April 05, 2020, 06:47:33 AM »
If you want to shout at someone, your local MP has an email address. ;)

Agree with you entirely regarding the problem, Pete, but changing the subject ...

Over the years, I've seen any number of mentions on here about contacting the Minister / MP / whichever pollie about "this" problem.

Has anybody that has done so ever had a response ???

Over these last few weeks, I've sent 3 e-mails off, one to the State Police Minister, 2 to our Fed MP, about 3 different matters.

I got an automatic response from the Police Minister saying that the message has been received but please reply to this message with your full name, address & phone number :o - why ??? Nothing at all from our MP though :'(

Yeah, sure, things certainly aren't normal at present, & they're possibly all utterly overwhelmed with incoming messages ???, but I would expect at least an acknowledgement ??? ::)

What's everybody else's experience ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #534 on: April 05, 2020, 07:35:01 AM »
Where do we put something that's a factual article about people worried about something fictional ???

It seems hard to believe people are actually this stupid :o, but https://www.imore.com/uk-engineers-threatened-and-5g-masts-burned-coronavirus-conspiracy-theorists

& as it says up the top of that page: Stop the world. I want to get off :'(

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #535 on: April 05, 2020, 08:05:59 AM »

Has anybody that has done so ever had a response ???

Yes, but the provess varies depending on the type of communication. (Caveat- this info is a few years old, ond processes may have changed) Email is fine for general communications with an MP, but for a formal enquiry it needs to be a posted letter. An email can be recieved, read, and deleted without any formal control's. A written letter is noted as recieved correspondence, a record kept in a register, and there is an obligation in the MP to respond, which is recorded as outgoing correspondence. That process may have changed though?
I have recieved replies to emails from our state member, but those communications have been of a general nature, not formal.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #536 on: April 05, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »
If you are just sharing your opinion, I wouldn't expect a reply, if you pose it as a question then you are more likely to get a reply, BUT in terms of policy in regards to health workers uniforms, I wouldn't expect the local MP to know off the top of his head, and the people he would normally go too for an answer might be a bit busy at the moment.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #537 on: April 05, 2020, 12:39:31 PM »
If you are just sharing your opinion, I wouldn't expect a reply, if you pose it as a question then you are more likely to get a reply, BUT in terms of policy in regards to health workers uniforms, I wouldn't expect the local MP to know off the top of his head, and the people he would normally go too for an answer might be a bit busy at the moment.

Fair enough TA.

Nothing concerning health worker uniforms! ;D

Police Minister was concerning participation requirements for firearms licenses, asking / suggestig that they be eased or removed completely for this year.

First Fed MP message was a question / suggestion re Centrelink obligations - fair enough, not her area, but I'd still like (& expect!) a simple acknowledgement that my message was at least received; 2nd was the suggestion that I mentioned here that now would be a great time to build up our fuel reserves, & seeing that she is the Minister for Industry etc, that is her area!  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:41:50 PM by Fizzie »

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #538 on: April 05, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
Hey all. Once again I am having to put the broom through a Thread. This is not good and my eye is on a some antagonistic members. If I see folk at each others throats again they will be getting a holiday from the board. This is especially a time to be mindful of what is said.
The forum rules of conduct are posted for every-one to read. I suggest folk go and brush up bufore I do some brooming out.  >:( >:( :police:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD
The following users thanked this post: D4D, MarkGU, Spada, wakychapmans, Fizzie

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #539 on: April 05, 2020, 02:06:24 PM »
Hey all. Once again I am having to put the broom through a Thread. This is not good and my eye is on a some antagonistic members. If I see folk at each others throats again they will be getting a holiday from the board. This is especially a time to be mindful of what is said.
The forum rules of conduct are posted for every-one to read. I suggest folk go and brush up bufore I do some brooming out.  >:( >:( :police:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cup:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #540 on: April 05, 2020, 02:25:53 PM »
Fair enough TA.

Nothing concerning health worker uniforms! ;D

Police Minister was concerning participation requirements for firearms licenses, asking / suggestig that they be eased or removed completely for this year.

First Fed MP message was a question / suggestion re Centrelink obligations - fair enough, not her area, but I'd still like (& expect!) a simple acknowledgement that my message was at least received; 2nd was the suggestion that I mentioned here that now would be a great time to build up our fuel reserves, & seeing that she is the Minister for Industry etc, that is her area!  ::) ;D

Not trying to discourage involvement, too many like to whinge from the sideline but won't even take the simplest steps to try to actually change something.

A standard reply acknowledging receipt  I think  should be the minimum response you should get though. In regards to the fuel supply, I think it is an issue that they know about but is probably in the too hard basket and no votes in it. My guess is that it would be a few year exercise though to get permanent storage in place.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #541 on: April 05, 2020, 02:41:12 PM »

As Snow pointed out, lets play fair and to the normal rules. Times are hard enough at the moment without the extra trolling and tit for tat. The last time we had a dot painting episode we through out the problems, same rule applies for all.

Mods are watching  :police:

GG
The following users thanked this post: D4D, MarkGU, Spada, Fizzie

3rd time lucky

« Reply #542 on: April 05, 2020, 03:08:50 PM »
As Snow pointed out, lets play fair and to the normal rules. Times are hard enough at the moment without the extra trolling and tit for tat. The last time we had a dot painting episode we through out the problems, same rule applies for all.

Mods are watching  :police:

GG
My next home project was gonna be dot paint art. Guess I better rethink that......
 ;D

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #543 on: April 05, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »
My next home project was gonna be dot paint art. Guess I better rethink that......
 ;D
We hope its better than your rego plate fixing skills  :P
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #544 on: April 05, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »
 ;D

What, so you're going to dot paint the entire house ???

Inside & out ???

Sounds amazing ;D

(Although maybe we should move this to "Cabin Fever" ??? ;D

3rd time lucky

« Reply #545 on: April 05, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
We hope its better than your rego plate fixing skills  :P
Comedians abound....but Jerry Seinfeld need not feel threatened by lame efforts such as this.....
🤣🤣🤣🤣🍺🍻🍻🏆👏

3rd time lucky

« Reply #546 on: April 05, 2020, 04:24:19 PM »
What, so you're going to dot paint the entire house ???

Inside & out ???

Sounds amazing ;D

(Although maybe we should move this to "Cabin Fever" ??? ;D
No, I was actually thinking of doing a canvas at home,  on my computer of course and not for real, and then selling it to unsuspecting myswag members.....

Offline filcar

• Tent User
« Reply #547 on: April 05, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »
Looks like there are still a lot of people that don't get it ...

https://www.facebook.com/DrBradRobinson/photos/a.117432248440819/1407027526147945/?type=3&theater
Defender 90 towing AussieSwag Ultra D

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #548 on: April 05, 2020, 06:23:11 PM »
Looks like there are still a lot of people that don't get it ...

https://www.facebook.com/DrBradRobinson/photos/a.117432248440819/1407027526147945/?type=3&theater

Just like the victorian police checked on 300 forced isolation cases.....99 weren't home !!

I think they should put a ban on any exercise outside your own property...no surfing, no beaches, no shopping centres, and shopping for food restricted to one person per household.
People just don't give a sh*t about anyone except themselves.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #549 on: April 05, 2020, 06:30:31 PM »

People just don't give a sh*t about anyone except themselves.
This has been evident from the very start.
:(

Hey, btw take care.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)