Author Topic: Trip planning - Exmouth  (Read 2988 times)

Offline fisher

• Tent User
Trip planning - Exmouth
« on: March 01, 2021, 07:42:09 PM »
Hi all.  We're starting to plan our trip to Exmouth area in September 2021, and we're finding that camping sites are already hard to come by - that is, they are booked well in advance.  Do we actually need to plan our whole trip on a daily basis and book every night 6 months in advance, or is it still possible to 'wing' it and just get to the area and leisurely choose where we go and when?  I like the idea of finding a nice spot and making a decision then and there as to whether we stay 1 night or several, but it feels like it is going to be regimented which is clearly not as relaxing.  Cheers

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Trip planning - Exmouth
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:00:50 PM »
Hi,
    Wikicamps is your friend.
Plenty of overnighters off side roads to be found except close to major tourist unattractions.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: fisher

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:48:47 PM »
That you are asking the question means, I think, you know the answer.

The popular camping spots along the coral coast were even more popular than ever in 2020 and that’s without eastern states visitors. If interstaters can travel here and nobody can travel overseas it may be worse this year.

As Austastar says (and he is the champion at it) there are out of the way places to camp but they tend not to be where you’d go for a week’s holiday of swimming or fishing. Not on that coast anyway.

Good luck with it.

Offline stephenh1235

• Tent User
  • Have gun will travel
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:49:20 AM »
The town is seriously busy, make sure you have a booking before you drive all that way! Yes this year is worse than ever,seasonal transient workers that normally work in the local hospitality industry for this period usually move into house rentals, but these rentals have been taken off the market & turned into B&B's & these workers have now found that caravan parks & camp grounds are fully booked & have no where to stay! Even locals who have been renting here 20+ years & have permanent jobs at the old U.S. Naval base are having to leave town with their families. Check out the "Wiki Camps" site, you will notice almost zero camping availability.I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but you are getting it from someone who has been here 40 years.
2004 Mitsubishi 4WD Canter
2003 HZJ105
2014 Palamino 1251ss slide on

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:58:51 AM »
You have to book Cape Range and Coral Bay regardless of time of year as they are so popular

If outside of school holidays and on the shoulder season you can usually wing everywhere else
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline fisher

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »
The town is seriously busy, make sure you have a booking before you drive all that way! Yes this year is worse than ever,seasonal transient workers that normally work in the local hospitality industry for this period usually move into house rentals, but these rentals have been taken off the market & turned into B&B's & these workers have now found that caravan parks & camp grounds are fully booked & have no where to stay! Even locals who have been renting here 20+ years & have permanent jobs at the old U.S. Naval base are having to leave town with their families. Check out the "Wiki Camps" site, you will notice almost zero camping availability.I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but you are getting it from someone who has been here 40 years.
Thanks - I appreciate your insight.  We've managed to book accommodation prior to a charter we're doing, but not after as yet.  The trip up is reasonably well planned, but we hoped to 'dawdle' back which doesn't seem to be a great option at this stage.  How big is your backyard? :)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 12:27:26 PM »
Very busy area indeed.
I would suggest to book in advance and try Ningaloo Station. On beach camping, nothing beats that.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 01:44:46 PM »
Yardie Creek station is a good spot.
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 01:48:04 PM »
so too is Warra Station
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 02:28:42 PM »
Thanks - I appreciate your insight.  We've managed to book accommodation prior to a charter we're doing, but not after as yet.  The trip up is reasonably well planned, but we hoped to 'dawdle' back which doesn't seem to be a great option at this stage.  How big is your backyard? :)

Head inland. Across to Cheela Plains, down to Mt Augustus and Kennedy Range, then through Murchison settlement to the top the wheatbelt.

Been a fair bit of summer rain (and more tipped this week) that way so could be a great year for wildflowers.

Happy trails. 

The following users thanked this post: fisher, stephenh1235

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:18:36 PM »
Yardie Creek station is a good spot.

X2 we stayed there twice when we could not get into the national park direct. I actually found it better in some respects.
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline stephenh1235

• Tent User
  • Have gun will travel
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 08:21:23 PM »
Also to add, the Lighthouse Caravan Park is now closed & ready for demolition - then Twiggy will be building his new resort on the site. More pressure on any other available accommodations.
2004 Mitsubishi 4WD Canter
2003 HZJ105
2014 Palamino 1251ss slide on

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 08:28:11 PM »
Also to add, the Lighthouse Caravan Park is now closed & ready for demolition - then Twiggy will be building his new resort on the site. More pressure on any other available accommodations.

Go to their site and it says it’s closed for redevelopment.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru