Author Topic: Why discount "For ABN Holders Only"?  (Read 3297 times)

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
Why discount "For ABN Holders Only"?
« on: February 13, 2021, 10:17:56 PM »
I have never made sense of this, but we were looking at a LDV T60 4WD Dual Cab UTE today for my son , but why discount "For ABN Holders Only"?
It can be as much as a $2000 difference  --- should make no difference to the Importer or the Dealer 
I consider it a strang marketing method, but how does one get around it when you don't have AN ABN?

Non ABN
Pro Automatic 
Non  ABN $32,621 Driveaway
With ABN $30,990 Driveaway

LDV Trailrider 2 Manual
Non  ABN $39,990 Driveaway
With ABN $37,990 Driveaway

:cheers:

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Why discount "For ABN Holders Only"?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 10:33:24 PM »
utes = commercial vehicle = different tax rate. Vans would also be advertised as such.

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 10:41:05 PM »
I don't believe that this has anything to do with any TAX write off, these prices appear to deal with discount only figures, unless there is something that I am not aware of, it just seems to be a selling practise.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 10:54:52 PM »
Those links have nothing to do with the actual sell price, only to what you can claim after the purchase, about writing off the vehicle against a business.
This should not reflect back to a sell price, as it has no difference to the importer, the wholesaler or the dealer.

It does not explain the ABN discount, or no discount for not having an ABN.

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 11:33:59 PM »
TAX write off,
I didn't say tax write off. Its tax at point of sale.

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 12:23:51 AM »
I didn't say tax write off. Its tax at point of sale.
O.K. you sort of mentioned commercial vehicle tax rate of some some sort, can you help me out with some sort of detail? I am having a look around  https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/In-detail/Your-industry/Motor-vehicle-and-transport/ can't find anything.

I can't see any relationship between having an ABN or not having an ABN. Maybe I have missed something, and why does this "For ABN Holders Only" exist, it does seem to wide practice in selling ute and 4WDs etc.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 03:38:46 AM »
ABN holders, folks who own and run a company/business are considered more likely to upgrade more often due to high mileage and the vehicle get more knocked about as a commercial vehicle than the average man in the street who often holds onto his car for much longer and keeps it in better condition.

Simply giving their regular customers an extra discount to get them to keep upgrading.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 06:08:51 AM »
Factory bonuses drive the abn deals. Manufacturers see numbers of vehicles used commercially as a decent form of advertising. If they can get their vehicles into that space, they expect to pick up sales from other users who tend to follow trends.
More importantly, why are you talking to dealers about price? Car buyers like redplum etc will get you better than silver fleet discount on any given brand. I bought my last private car with them and We just bought another 2 utes through them at work and we are entitled to silver fleet - they do better first time, nil negotiating, nil dealing with salesmen and lies.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 07:15:11 AM »
Can you just get an ABN.

I’ve had one for about 20 years now and never used it for anything other then getting ABN deals.
My mobile phone is on a business plan and for years the service I got from Telstra for that phone was 1000x better then they way they treated my wife who is on a normal person plan.

The ATO ring every couple of years to see if I still need my ABN, I just tell them I’m looking to do some contract work and need to keep it just in case.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 07:34:04 AM »
Can you just get an ABN.

I’ve had one for about 20 years now and never used it for anything other then getting ABN deals.
My mobile phone is on a business plan and for years the service I got from Telstra for that phone was 1000x better then they way they treated my wife who is on a normal person plan.

The ATO ring every couple of years to see if I still need my ABN, I just tell them I’m looking to do some contract work and need to keep it just in case.

The b@#@$@(* told me that because I hadn't used mine in two years they were taking it off me. That was back around 2000.

But for the OP, yes it's a factory/dealer deal sweetener to attract more business. If you are pee'd off about it, you need to complain to them...
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 07:15:15 PM »
Just fill out your yearly declaration "nil to report"

Keep your ABN.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!