Author Topic: Anyone still into Prospecting?  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Anyone still into Prospecting?
« on: February 04, 2021, 10:13:31 AM »
Over Xmas I got the opportunity to use a mate's metal detector with some mixed success (ie: 1c, 2c, 1948 Penny, Scouts Qld Button, Pocket Knife and an assortment of horseshoes, nails, lumps of metal). We had been thinking for a little while that it could be a hobby that we could interested in. Since then we have been doing a lot of research on the detector/s most suited to us and what we think we want to do.
Have joined the Prospecting Australia forum and there sure is a wealth of knowledge out there

Searching through here I noted that there have been a number of discussions around prospecting and detecting but nothing really substantial for a while (could be due to Covid of course) so was wondering if there are still any swaggers that are into this as a hobby, pastime or even more serious?

I mentioned above that we have been researching detectors and have been trying to get to a point where we don't invest massive amounts of coin but also not going cheap and nasty. Two that we are partial to at this stage are

1. Nokta Makro Gold Kruzer; and
2. QED PL3 (or even upgraded PL2)

We understand that the GK is VLF and the QED is PI but they both have their positive points. The GK comes in at $1,200 new at the moment whereas you can pick up a 2nd hand PL3 for about the same $. Should say have also heard pretty good things about the Equinox 800

Happy to hear anyone's view on these detectors but also it would be cool to hear about any success stories, failures or even just views on the world of prospecting. One thing that I have noted since starting to take an interest is the differences (some pretty vast) state by state in the rules and regulations. Seems that it would be a bit of a nightmare (maybe not that bad but you would need to be organised) travelling around Australia and doing this

Anyway hope to hear from any that have an interest, You never know if it gets enough interest it may even warrant it's own forum sub-board  :cheers:

Cheers

Rod

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Anyone still into Prospecting?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 10:47:26 AM »
Hi Rod,

My wife's parents were keen on travelling around and detecting. They invested in a couple of good quality detectors and had some success find small nuggets.

Due to health and getting on in age they haven't been for a few years. When I spoke with him about it a month or so back I think he mentioned that he still has the detectors but was looking into selling them. I'm pretty sure they're Minelab ones. He's just down the road from you at Coonabarbran. If you're interested I can find out the details and what price he has in mind. I'm pretty sure he'd love to talk your ear off about detecting if he was given half the chance but he's definitely not on forums.

Cheers
Earle

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 10:55:21 AM »
Calling all Ron's and Keiths... :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 01:16:23 PM »
Hi Rod,

My wife's parents were keen on travelling around and detecting. They invested in a couple of good quality detectors and had some success find small nuggets.

Due to health and getting on in age they haven't been for a few years. When I spoke with him about it a month or so back I think he mentioned that he still has the detectors but was looking into selling them. I'm pretty sure they're Minelab ones. He's just down the road from you at Coonabarbran. If you're interested I can find out the details and what price he has in mind. I'm pretty sure he'd love to talk your ear off about detecting if he was given half the chance but he's definitely not on forums.

Cheers
Earle

Earle that would be great. Still heavily researching so don't know what i want exactly so would be great to hear some options. Just send me a pm if you prefer

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 01:18:01 PM »
Calling all Ron's and Keiths... :)

Have see some familiar names on another forum  :cup:

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
Earle that would be great. Still heavily researching so don't know what i want exactly so would be great to hear some options. Just send me a pm if you prefer

No worries. I'll talk to him and let you know.
The following users thanked this post: Rodt

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 08:32:33 PM »
I try to get out there a couple of times per year.

Personally, I would go the PI over the VLF. But our soils here are different to yours And I've never detected over there.

I also recently purchased a nox 600 for treasure duties. From all accounts, the 800's gold mode isn't that flash in the highly mineralised soils over here and I have a dedicated gold detector anyhow. So I saved the $400 difference.

By all accounts, the nox is a good machine and multi frequency is a winner for treasure.

Buy yourself a detector, its a great excuse to get out there more (as if we need an excuse  :cup:)

Over here at least, since covid hit, you struggle to get a new one, let alone a second hand one. The market has gone nuts. Wish I had shares in a prospecting shop.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:34:16 PM by sharkcaver »
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 05:39:17 AM »
Thanks mate. From what I have been reading (probably also a bit between the lines) it appears that to go for a PI detector first up could be a bit difficult to learn / understand due to the amount of understanding required on detectors and issues such as hot ground etc. Take your point though and that is why we are still considering something like a QED PL3.

We will probably end up getting a couple though and it would be smart I suppose to have one for treasure (and coins) and one for gold. At least that way the settings don't need to be mucked with too much other than for ground types.

The Gold Kruzer is getting some pretty good reviews though even in hot ground.

Good to hear you are getting out a couple of times a year and agree it is a great excuse (not that we should need one) to get out there

Offline KevG

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 07:35:45 AM »
I’m not a prospector as such, More a treasure hunter with an ageing X-Terra 705 from Minelab. It is awesome for coins and other random stuff - not so much for gold.

That said, I took it our on weekends for 18 months or so, through parks etc. The coins and jewellery were all saved up and paid for a not unhealthy amount of fuel for our trip to Cape York a few years back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 10:25:08 AM »
Well done Kev. From what I understand not everyone has that level of good luck but talking to a guy the other week he reckons he finds enough (everything though) to pay for his fuel on his travels. He goes to a location and sets up there for a bit and when he finds enough to satisfy him he moves on to a new location. Reckons that he has gotten to see so many more out of the way places than he would have on a normal trip.

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 09:14:56 PM »
I took the nox out today, 1941 camp of the 10th light horse regiment.

Bugger me, an 80 year old horse shoe, 18" deep. That took some work with a couple of small hand tools.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 09:23:23 AM »
Good find mate. I am amazed that in only 80 years it has been covered over in 18" of dirt. You are definitely keen digging down that deep as that ground looks a bit hard.

Dug up a couple of horseshoes myself as the father-in-law directed me to the sites where old blacksmiths were back in the day. They were a bit of hard digging as we were digging around it to try and not damage

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 11:16:36 AM »

We spoke with the FIL. It looks like he has someone interested in buying one of them and he wants to hold on to the other. It's the MIL's health that has been stopping them getting out there and she has recently gone into a care facility so he's making plans to get out there detecting again when he has the chance.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 05:05:57 PM »
No worries Earle. Let me know if the sale doesn't work out or his plans change

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 07:04:45 PM »
Good find mate. I am amazed that in only 80 years it has been covered over in 18" of dirt. You are definitely keen digging down that deep as that ground looks a bit hard.

It had to have been buried back then to get so deep surely (1/2 a meter almost). Why? No idea.
The site where found was part of the farriers tent site.

I got a small target and started digging with my dinky shovels as pictured. The hole kept going and the target got bigger. I almost chucked it in a few times, cause digging that deep a hole with those tools was a bit challenging. The ground here is sand, so not a chore in one respect.

Anyway, I persevered and when I pulled the pin pointer out and it was going nuts, I knew I was close. I felt one leg with  my hand and soon enough, Voila.

I have to say I'm mighty impressed the Nox found this at this depth (even though it's all iron)
What I wasn't impressed with was the tick I got in my back for the trouble.

Anyway, I will be back. I really want to search the tent site of the 600 odd personnel that were stationed there from 1941-1944.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 07:45:36 PM »
Good plan I reckon. You would have to reckon there would be coins and other stuff wouldn't you

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2021, 03:56:06 PM »
No worries Earle. Let me know if the sale doesn't work out or his plans change

Been awhile since this post Rod but in the meantime the MIL passed away and the FIL is thinking about selling his detector/s again. I think he may have been holding onto them in the hope her health would improve and they could go detecting again. Are you still in the market for some gear? If so I'll try to put you in touch with him. Cheers, Earle

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2021, 07:36:58 PM »
Daughter and her partner got some 1 >  2 mm size bits over the weekend  working  some creek lines . Nothing too serious prospecting wise,  just enough to make the odd  weekend away more interesting . Probably better odds at getting a result than playing lotto .. ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2021, 07:39:53 AM »
Been awhile since this post Rod but in the meantime the MIL passed away and the FIL is thinking about selling his detector/s again. I think he may have been holding onto them in the hope her health would improve and they could go detecting again. Are you still in the market for some gear? If so I'll try to put you in touch with him. Cheers, Earle

Sorry to hear that Earle. Mate I did end up getting some gear but if you send me a PM with details on what he has and what he wants for it I could still be interested. Apparently you can never have enough prospecting gear  ;D