Author Topic: indash combined or seperated  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Dan

• Sleeping Bag User
indash combined or seperated
« on: June 23, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
I'm Looking at a  getting a reversing camera, navigation, tyre pressure monitors and a new stereo cd Bluetooth hands free unit or units for my 06 patrol. My thinking so far is reversing camera will be in a mirror display   everything else is up in the air.
Can I get an all in one unit and if so is it best not to. would love to see some setups and weather you would do the same again?
One thing I want to avoid is clutter I have a phone holder on my screen and would prefer nothing else up there.
any advice will be greatly appreciated.

undecided

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: indash combined or seperated
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:51:48 PM »
I put a double din unit into my rodeo and to be quite honest I have been a bit disappointed with it. i was running a garmin GPS and Mirror mounted reverse camera before I put the new head unit in.

Problems I have are very poor radio reception ,that I suppose is unit specific.
While the on road navigation is great for the voice directions with both the on and offroad navigation I find the screen too small to read the map while on the move and glare on the screen is very bad making it nearly impossible to see in sun light.
I mainly only use the reverse camera for hooking up the trailer, dont find it much use for normal reversing
I find the bluetooth for the phone very useful

For my navigation I have now gone for a 7" tablet running ozi for android and Torque, on a windscreen mount and find this fantastic

If I was to do it again, for my Rodeo at least, I would have replaced the head unit with a better unit with just the bluetooth for the phone then run a tablet for navigation and not bothered with the reverse camera. I dont have TPMS

Having said all that I dont like all the clutter of four or five windscreen mounts that you see on some set ups

Just my 2c's worth

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
Re: indash combined or seperated
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:47:54 AM »
Speak to evolution! He's normally lurking around here somewhere. He will give you some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tappy thing
Cheers

Strvy