Author Topic: Are airline seats big enough?  (Read 83789 times)

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Are airline seats big enough?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
I fly all the time as well across the country and up and down it, just to get to and from work. I always have an isle seat and generally book one in the middle row of the plane and ask the staff at check in if they would be kind enough to put a block on the middle seat if the flight is not a full one. never had a knock back yet, that's how I manage the big people issue.  5 or 6 hours is long enough with out being uncomfortable the whole way.

Offline BigDougie

• Tent User
  • Enjoy Today for who knows what the future holds!
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:52 AM »
On ya Muzza, look what you started. Anyhow this xl bloke has to go to work. Flying to Melbourne in April might be lucky enough to sit next to a couple of my swaggers on the trip. Ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Our Maverick and New to us Trackabout Overlander RF

"Smile and Wave boy's, Smile and Wave"

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »
Travelled 3 weeks a month for 10 years, glad I gave up that game 3 years ago. On the odd occasion I fly now, I do miss being up the pointy end.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 06:26:59 AM »
You lot need to harden the f!$k up, how can some one of my frame 6'3, 130kg and a meter across the shoulders help what size they are. I am not obese, just big and courteous as I am aware of the situation.

Seriously if one of you pip squeak wingers give me your condescending attidute on a flight you may just find yourself stuffed in the overhead luggage department.

Generation me, I am over you!

Jas

scarps

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 06:27:15 AM »
Arh the pointy end, nice aspect on ocassion. Just boarded Melbourne to Sydney, then Sydney to Bris later today. Been doing this for 15 years most weeks.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 06:29:24 AM »
You lot need to harden the f!$k up, how can some one of my frame 6'3, 130kg and a meter across the shoulders help what size they are. I am not obese, just big and courteous as I am aware of the situation.

Seriously if one of you pip squeak wingers give me your condescending attidute on a flight you may just find yourself stuffed in the overhead luggage department.

I usually find dropping your guts stops them talking.. sadly sometimes they never recover :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 06:30:33 AM »

yourself stuffed in the overhead luggage department.

Jas

Lmao. Gold.

Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline drenno

• Swag User
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:11 AM »
Hi All,
The engineers that design planes must be around 160cm tall and under 75kgs! We all come in different shapes and sizes and I believe it is the attitude of the people or persons you are sitting next to that directly effects your experience when flying! As previously mentioned, personal hygiene does not appear to be high on some peoples list of priorities.

I would be interested to hear of other peoples experiences when flying.........recently when flying from Gold Coast to Sydney, boarded the very crowded plane and took up my seat next to someone my size (110kg). We had a chat while everyone took their seats and it appeared that the window seat next to me was vacant. All good so we thought! Just as they are closing the doors of the plane (and I was about to move into the vacant seat) a Hari krishna boards the plane. Myself and the guy sitting next to me exchanged looks of oh well there goes that idea. We all exchange pleasantries and he takes his seat.........all good or so we thought......... as the plane takes off old mate starts chanting (much to the disbelief of me and those around me).
This goes on...........and on.............and on. After several minutes of uninterrupted chanting everyone around us starts looking at each other in disbelief. The guy sitting next to me shoots me a look of FFS if you don't put a stop to this I will!  The short version is that our new found friend took some convincing that it was in his best interests to continue his conversation with his spiritual leader in silence.

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »
Yep, The good old days EDZ.
I hated carrying bloody passengers.  C stands for Cargo on a C130. Cargo doesn't move, doesn't touch things it ain't supposed to, doesn't whinge, doesn't ask stupid questions.
Nowadays I am passenger  ;D
The difference between a Loadmaster and a bunch of nancy boys............the 245 bulkhead.  ;D
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 06:43:30 AM »
Ok... lets add another question or 2.

Whats the rush to get ON the plane.. Then stand in the aisle waiting for people to stack their **** and fumble around ???
I'm usually one of the last 3 on the flight...

Whats with people taking 1 carry on, 1 suit bag, and a laptop bag on interstate flights without checking them in - I thought there were limits to what you can bring on a flight... ??? They cause every flight to be late leaving as by the time 1/2 the people are on the lockers are full... and calls are coming over the plane for people to stuff bags under their seats...
I check everything in and just walk on myself.

Whats the rush to be first one standing up and have your bag out of the overhead locker??? Nobody is moving for 10 mins... ??? I love watching people on the window side of me twitching and itching to be first standing up, but I usually wait until everyone has gone, or someone lets me stand up (yea that happens)

**** people  ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:57:55 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 06:51:50 AM »
I've done a lot of the short connection, long haul flights, eg, Trinnidad - Miami - LA - Syd - Gold coast.
I hate being stuck next to the big folk, the states is bad, but getting same here to.
On 1 memorable occasion, I am on the plane 1st, membership privileges give this, sure it was Miami, and 2 x heffers climb in and sit next to me with both arm rests up and 3 inches into my seat and squeezed into the wall.
So I just stood in an exit area, out the way, waited for everyone to get to the seats, which is now time for plane to go and walked up the front saying that someone is in my seat, and just stood there. Presented my boarding pass which shows gold membership. Plane was full so no more cattle class seats.
I said calmly that someone has got to go, simple, and here are the boarding passed for the next 2 flights.
So into 1st class I went.......
That is the only time I had it good, rest of the time, I just don't stand for it, I am proud to say I have the disease that allows me to say it as it is, so I just come right out with the forbidden, and tell them to get out of my chair.

Love the bit about paying for extra baggage so pay for extra weight on the seat, to true.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline BigDougie

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 06:52:02 AM »
LMAO Jason.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 06:54:14 AM »
Rush to get on - to ensure you get your stuff stowed before everyone else brings the kitchen sink on
Always avoid checking stuff in to ensure quick getaway - travelling for business is a PITA and the shortest time you spend in the airport/plane the better
Rush to get off - because they have been sitting next to you :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigDougie

• Tent User
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 07:00:07 AM »
Sorry mr boss sir, sorry for being the wrong size, shape, colour or religion, so sorry mr boss sir I'll just go pick some more cotton. So much for this we are all created equal BS.

Offline bluejay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 07:27:57 AM »
may be the big people should try stuffing the small people in the luggage comp that why when the big people get taken off the plane for causing a disturbance the little people can have all their seat to themselves

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 07:31:25 AM »

Whats the rush to get ON the plane.. Then stand in the aisle waiting for people to stack their **** and fumble around ???

Whats with people taking 1 carry on, 1 suit bag, and a laptop bag on interstate flights without checking them in - I thought there were limits to what you can bring on a flight... ??? They cause every flight to be late leaving as by the time 1/2 the people are on the lockers are full... and calls are coming over the plane for people to stuff bags under their seats...

Whats the rush to be first one standing up and have your bag out of the overhead locker??? Nobody is moving for 10 mins... ??? I love watching people on the window side of me twitching and itching to be first standing up, but I usually wait until everyone has gone, or someone lets me stand up (yea that happens)

**** people  ;D
:cup:

It's why I'm really hating flying every week these days
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »

Or covered in chocolate and eaten maybe?

;D  :cheers:  :angel:
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 07:42:41 AM »

**** people  ;D

I pi55 myself laughing with this.  I always get on last, wander along like a dero, then hand my bag to the hostie if there are no spots to put it. 

And really, why the hell can't the airline tell everyone to sit on their big fat arses until those with connecting or NO BAGGAGE to leave first. Then they can scramble like lunatics to stand in line at the carousel while the bags are unloaded.

Retards.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

scarps

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 08:04:17 AM »

Jas
hey Jason, I reckon I've sat next to you:-)

scarps

Are airline seats big enough?
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 08:05:51 AM »
Arh the pointy end, nice aspect on ocassion. Just boarded Melbourne to Sydney, then Sydney to Bris later today. Been doing this for 15 years most weeks.
apol's got asked to shut my phone down:-)

My next point is how come in 15years I've only ever managed to sit next to 3 hot classy ladies? Usually I end up next to one of you ugly #####'s.  Thought it was time for someone to pick on ugly passengers:-)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:09:57 AM by scarps »

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:47 AM »
Do you fly qantas or virgin?
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

scarps

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 08:15:02 AM »
Mostly Qantas, hence why I used the term 'classy'.
Virgin was OK 10yrs ago, but they've all grown up now, in their 30's and wear big pants these days.

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
I admit that when in the departure lounge I look at all the people with bums wider than the seats hoping they don't end up next to me!  And I get on early (when in cattle class) to make sure there is locker space available for my carry-on bag (which is usually all I take as most of my flights are only for a day or two).

Then I sit down, put on the noise cancelling headphones (how anyone who flies regularly can manage without a set of these I have no idea), get out my book and ignore everyone else until we land.

Fortunately in a couple of weeks I shall have Platinum status with Qantas which hopefully will make life a little bit easier.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

scarps

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 08:52:01 AM »
Platinum status - don't get me started there:-)

Platinum great for check in and the better Q club, but unless someone is guarding the premium boarding lane forget it.  Why don't people read signs?

Now we're picking on illiterate passengers. 

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »
If you skinny bastards whinge about someone larger taking some of your seat, maybe you should just eat less lettuce and carrot sticks and give us more room.
As far as charging more, I pay higher taxes on greasy takeaway food and clothes from fat shops instead of buying cheap sweat shop crap at K Mart or Target, so maybe some of that tax should be put up to the airlines to compensate the few drops of aviation fuel used for the extra weight. When the plane weighs 150 odd tonnes, twenty fat bastards weighing an extra 30kg each doesn't add much to the total safe working load.
Seats are designed by engineers who seem to think 58 seats on a single engine Cessna is good planning. Maybe a few rows of seats with one narrower seat next to a wider seat could work, or build them so the armrest can move sideways.
Either way, I'd much prefer to have contact with someones overweight leg and hip and shared armrest than put up with the body odour stinky mouthed stale cigarette breath from some anemic semi-human that needs to dance in the shower to get wet.