Author Topic: Newbie - need advice  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Cam85

• Learning the Ropes
Newbie - need advice
« on: January 16, 2016, 12:27:48 PM »
Hi, I'm a new member living in CQ. Over the last couple of years I have managed to get the wife into camping -albeit at caravan parks and other place with decent amenities...we have decided to upgrade the tent for a trailer and am in need of some advice!
I'm looking at a soft floor camper 10' tent. 9 I feel,is too small and 12 looks too big to put up and down by myself...the family wagon at he moment is a KLuger (would love to upgrade to a 4x4 at some stage) but it gets us to wherever we holiday.
I've found several campers that look the goods...but after some more experienced opinions....

What are the pros and cons of having an aluminium tub on a steel chassis? I like this idea for the weight savings and resistance corrosion....

Hot dip, dura gal, supa gal, powder coating.... Most places we visit are within stones throw of the beach. Is it worth forking out for the hit dip or should supa gal do thr trick.

Main priorities are Australian steel and canvas and an overall solid build that we can add to as we get more adventurous.

Any help with the queries above or any suggestions on brands to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Cam

scrapsD40

Newbie - need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »
Welcome Cam, from me, if doing a lot of touring camping, definitely go for gal chasis and powdercoat tub as a minimum. Never been involved with an Aluminium tub, but hey, most caravans over the years were alot aluminium so someone will have a view.
My only other tip from reading this forum is a lot of people research and buy their ultimate dream CT, but then seem to sell and upgrade down the track as you learn what works best for you. So in this vein, buy with a view to resale value somewhere down the track and Aussie Made and some of the good imports should be considered.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:45:41 PM by scrapsD40 »

KingBilly

Re: Newbie - need advice
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »
G'day Cam and welcome to myswag.

Good luck in your search for a CT.  Yes, 12' is big and I can't unpack/pack ours on my lonesome.

Happy camping
KB