Author Topic: G'day, new to forum, new to camper trailers, need a bit of advice....  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Hallfamily

• Learning the Ropes
G'day, although being new to campers we are currently at the 20,000km mark of a 7 month off road adventure. Somehow, unbelievably, I have only just come across this fantastic forum now. I have a few queries, hope this is the right spot for them.

A quick background;

both my wife and I have been camping in various forms our whole lives but with 2 little ones now we decided a camper was finally in order. After months of research we finally decided on a Lifestyle Extenda Elite fitted with independent suspension, d035 hitch and 2nd water tank. Received camper in March 2015 and in July of same year we packed up and headed west.

Where have we been;
Longreach, Birdsville, Birdsville track, walkers crossing, innamincka area, strezlecki track, Oodnadatta track, Dalhousie, mr dare, finke, Alice springs, west macdonnels, Uluru, gunbarrel hwy, csr, ruddall river np, marble bar, the beaches and gorges of WA's Pilbara and coral coast, south west WA, beaches of Albany and Esperance region, Israelite bay and bilbunya dunes, eyre peninsula, SE of SA and now in northern Vic

How has the trailer performed;
In short, bloody fantastic. No major breakdowns or problems experienced however a few niggling annoying things where I thought our lifestyle might have performed better.

1. Failure of zips, both door zips and main top tarp zip. It seems the zips have just worn out however as per murphys law the top tarp zip expired halfway along the Csr! Door zips are virtually unusable at the moment except for one zip we are using now. Have looked after them as best as possible and sprayed with silicone regularly.

2. Dust ingress into main trailer tub via rear tailgate. An awful amount of dust came in through these seals and mainly at the corners where they appeared to be pinched. I always expected dust to some degree but there was up to 5mm on top of the kitchen after one days driving.

3. Water tank outlets constantly broken off from rocks etc. this has happened on 3 occasions now. I manufactured a stone guard for the rear tank outlet in Leigh Creek, the front I just keep replacing.

4. Virtually no paint/powder coat left on underside of trailer.

So, question is, for a trailer in this price range should I expect better by way of zips and dust ingress? It is on day 170 odd of continuous use. Points 3 and 4 are probably less of an issue and with regard to the water points I probably should of protected these prior to leaving.

Cheers

2015 lifestyle extenda towed my 105 cruiser

scarpsD40

G'day, new to forum, new to camper trailers, need a bit of advice....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »
Welcome, sounds like a great trip so far. HD zips with regular silicone spray should have lasted a lot longer than you have indicated. Definitely worth a call to the Lifestyle crew for follow up.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:15:30 PM by scarpsD40 »

Offline dbaldwin

• Learning the Ropes
  • 2006 Land Rover Defender 2010 Kimberly Karavan
Re: G'day, new to forum, new to camper trailers, need a bit of advice....
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »
Hi
we are new to this forum but not to camping. Currently driving a 2006 Land Rover Defender and the new ( to us) 2010 Kimberly  Karavan. We have been to Cape Yorke up the Old Telegraph Track a couple of years ago with a soft floor camper trailer ab solutly no problems except a broken spring and a bit of dust but the effort of packing it up convinced us to up grade to something easier, so we bought a nice new Chineese Hard Floor or Flipper trailer then set off through Alice then up the Tanimi Track to Broome ( Loverly Place ) then along the Gibb River Road to Darwin ( Another Loverly Place) then across the Savanna Way back down the Queensland Coast. 20000 Ks in 3 months. the trailer had all sorts of problems most alarming the body seperated from the frame, the draw bar broke at Mitchell Falls, Springs broke at Katherine, all in all most dissapointing. when we bought it it had built in water tank, electric water pump, 4 burner stove off road wheels and tirers too good to be true and it was. We now have the Kimberly but havent done another trip yet. I just like reading these forums to see what others are doing.
Thanks
Dave B

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 03:35:19 PM »
To the Hall Family

Welcome to myswag. Sounds like you guys are having an awesome adventure.  Very jealous.

I would have thought that the zips would have lasted longer than what you have experienced.  Suggest you speak to Lifestyle who seem to get a good rap on here.

In regards to the dust through the tailgate and the broken water taps etc. Again suggest you speak to Lifestyle as it would appear to be design faults and I am sure they would be interested to learn from your experiences.

The paint being sandblasted off from underneath.  Yep that has happened to many of us.  Not much you can do except maybe a Rock Tamer type of setup.

Happy camping
KB
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:37:01 PM by KingBilly »
The following users thanked this post: Hallfamily

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:38:47 PM »
To Daveb

Also welcome to myswag mate.  You too have had some awesome adventures.  Congrats on the Kimberley Karavan.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Big Damo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I work only for the holidays
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 10:17:41 PM »
G'day and welcome to my swag
Sounds like you are having a great trip
As others have said give Lifestyles a call they are very good with there warranty claims
my wife and I bought a lifestyle and the travel cover got damaged during transit
we live in Adelaide and when I rang and spoke with Darren he organised a replacement and they paid a local canvas place to refit very fast no questions asked
Would recommend Lifestyle to any one looking for a well built camper with great after sales service
 :cheers:
Damo

XR6 and Lifestyle Extenda Elite