Author Topic: G'day from Canberra/Queanbeyan  (Read 3071 times)

Offline johnmm

• Swag User
G'day from Canberra/Queanbeyan
« on: October 28, 2011, 10:59:24 PM »
G'day All,

Just thought we'd say Hello. Currently have an old (but still good and solid) very early Complete campsite camper. Unfortunately the family have outgown the camper (9 foot I think), so we were looking for something bigger. My wife and I have narrowed it down to either the All Terrain or Complete Campsite trailers with the 16/17ft tent. We have three children (two boys and girl)10, 9 and 2.5 and a Great Dane....and looking forward to getting out more and let the kids see more of this great land. Would be very interested in any pro's/cons of either of these trailers from current owners.......

Thanks and happy camping.....

Cheers

John & Heather
2000 HDJ-105 Landcruiser towing a Johnno's Dreamtime Offroad Camper.

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: G'day from Canberra/Queanbeyan
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 06:35:44 AM »
G'day John and Heather and welcome to Myswag.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
Welcome to the swag John & Heather, lots of goof info here to help you with your decision.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 06:56:02 AM »
Hi John & Heather, welcome to My Swag

bubba :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:20 AM »
Welcome to myswag
hope you enjoy thps site
 :cheers: sheeds

morgansmall

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:50:57 AM »
Hi fellow Canberrarians (well, until we bugger off for our round Oz trip in March anyway!)

We also were v interested in the Complete Campsite and All Terrain when we were looking for a new camper but both were out of our price range.  Luckily we found a 3 year old CC Nomad in awesome condition!

We were put off the All Terrain because at the time we had an SUV as a towing tug and the AT sits quite high; annoyingly the fridge was on the opposite side to where you'd want it; and we also loved the stairwell in the CC.  However I thought I saw at the Canberra show last weekend that AT has now moved their fridge next to the kitchen .  We've also got a 4wd now (well, a ute), but if I was to toss up between the two I'd still have to say the stairwell in the CC wins it for us.

The only drawback to the CC over the other is that the CC is longer and lower, which can be a bit of an issue as we found out on a 4wd camper trailer course also last weekend (do it if you haven't done much off road work - Great Divide Tours in Braidwood - excellent weekend!).  IMO the AT would be a better trailer for serious off road work as the CC is too long.  However it does match our Navara well, and we're not aiming to go hardcore, just hoping we'll get through the OTT up at the Cape minus Gunshot, so it's ideal for us.  We're also putting a bigger, better set of tyres on to give us an extra inch and the same sidewall protection as the car - Neil at CC tells me there's an inch and a half of tolerance in the canvas, so we'll see if he's telling porkies next week!

PS if you do decide to keep or go another CC, don't pay $750 for their stairwell drawers.   If you don't mind putting a couple of screws into the wood panels and a bit of velcro on the floor carpet, those large Oates drawers (from Bunnings) fit perfectly height wise - 3 up and 3 across.  $270!  Just a tip after a few months of searching for something suitable and cheap  :cup:

Good luck with your decision.  Either will be good as long as you use it!

Hmm, edit - I see from the AT website the camper I saw at the show is in fact their new walk-up model.   Now it gets really hard. Good luck!!!!!

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 07:52:51 AM »
Welcome John and Heather good to see more members from the area, the family lives on the bed and the Great Dane needs the 18 ft annex ;D ;D ;D :D

Trevor
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »
Hi and Welcome, CC make a top camper :D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 03:46:54 PM »
Hi John & Heather. Welcome to MySwag. My opinion ...... go the Complete Campsite  ;D
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
Hi and welcome, any chance you could psot some pics of your CC?
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »
Welcome guys, was in your area last week but the invite from HRH went missing so we didn't there. Oh well, all the best

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline johnmm

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the welcomes, also appreciate the comments and opinions so far.
I will endeavour to post some pics of our existing trailer (as soon as I find them), it is an older one (9ft I think) but with enclosed annex etc. I think it was one of CC very early hire trailers as well.

Another option I was thinking about was to put a bigger top on it, thinking about the customline top (12ft), but haven't seen them in the person yet. Unfortunately neither AT or CC do just camper tops anymore. Had quick look at the oz trail/imported ones but not keen on the round frame poles zips etc.

Cheers

John & Heather
2000 HDJ-105 Landcruiser towing a Johnno's Dreamtime Offroad Camper.

Offline monahanajj

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Landcruiser Prado, YES, it's a Landcruiser....
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »
Hi there John and Heather, Canberra has some fantastic locations to see only hours away, lucky you!

Look forward to seeing the new rig!

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein "...Such as a Landcruiser..." Me

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 06:46:42 AM »
Welcome to the Forum John and Heather

GG