Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 4003 times)

Offline browny81

• Swag User
Hi all
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:02:15 PM »
I've been lurking around this site for a while OK Mrs says is that the only web site you go on.
We are heading to the Brisbane camping show next month looking at a camper soft floor, Pretty sure I'm going to get 2ND hand just want to see different brands in the flesh before waste peoples time looking at 2ND hand trailers i like Trackabout No1, Lifestyle Jimmbomba, Camel, Customline. Being for Rockhampton makes it hard to just go around to the showrooms and have a look though.

Our budget was $10000 Max For this we would like Australian made, min 9-10ft tent Off road trailer, Basic 12volt set up water tank, Jerry can holders, gas bottle holders, annex with walls, toolbox, kitchen box not necessarily stove. am i asking for a bit to much for a modern trailer 2007 or newer.

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:02:09 AM »
Welcome to the madness browny.

Hope you get all the info you need...the show is a good idea but you may find that you will want to buy new rather than 2nd!!

All the CT's you have on your list are fine and for the money you want to spend, should find something.

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 05:03:24 AM »
brownye 81 Glad you dip in to say Hi , Welcome aboard  . Its a huge task to find the 1st CT but even bigger is a list of mods that can follow , will follow , Enjoy  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline squirell

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 05:48:47 AM »
Hi and welcome, now let the fun begin,enjoy your time here.

Squirell/Graeme
Just spendin' the kids inheritence !!

Online D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »
Welcome to myswag browny, for $10K should be able to pickup a great 2nd hand camper with all the fruit! You might even get a new Trackabout if you squeeze JT a bit at the show :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 08:13:30 AM »
G'day & Welcome.

I think you've got the right approach, good luck with your search.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 08:33:28 AM »
Welcome to MySwag browny
 :cheers: sheeds

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:06:52 AM »
Hi browny Welcome to My Swag plenty of 2nd hand ct around the hard thing is witch one to buy ;D ;D have fun.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:16:28 AM »
Hi Browny and welcomee to My Swag :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Jasonbeerfridge

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »
G'day Browny,
I'm at Boyne Island, 20km south of Gladstone.
I know what you mean about not being able to easily look through new ones for research.
We're off to the show as well for the same reason.
Good luck with the search mate.
Jason.

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:16:19 AM »
G'day Browny and welcome to Myswag.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »
Welcome Browny,
Good luck with the hunt.
You certainly would not go wrong with a Trackabout.
I hope you enjoy your time here.

Cheers
Parry

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 09:41:10 AM »
G'day Browny.
Welcome to myswag. Shows are the best place to gather info in one place, and i also bought Mags for a while but you soon come to the conclusion that they are very unreliable as a honest review, but do give the spec's of each trailer which is a great starting point. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the the CT's your intrested in and you should have a good choice with your budget, good luck and look forward to hearing how you go.
dno.
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline Old Croc + plus one

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 05:49:06 PM »
Hi Browny
Welcome to My Swag Best of luck tracking down a camper Happy Trails
Ford Ranger 2006

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
G'day Browny and welcome to Myswag  :cheers:
Good luck finding a CT mate and make sure you keep us updated  :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline browny81

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies we went and looked at 2ND hand one today was reasonable for $8500 Good trailer though canvas was guessing only 10ounce, and now that its slow close to Bris camping show would rather wait to have a look at all the brands in one place.

Offline ralphedward

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
browny81,

Whilst 2nd hand is a bloody great option and the perusal of the Brisbane show is something I recommend, there is one provider that will not be in attendance as the vast majority of their business comes from word of mouth - Tambo.  I am an owner of a Tambo Cooper and in your price range I believe that you wont get better - New.  After sales and service cannot be beaten (first hand knowledge and much second hand knowledge). Compare the trailer to others then compare the canvas to others and you will be surprised how far the aussie $ can go.  Ask around - Tambo have a great reputation. 

Disclaimer - I have absolutely no association with Tambo other than being a very satisfied owner.

Pm me if you would like more info.

Regards
Mark
SWMBO made me do it (whatever it was I did)!
VW Amarok & 'Cooper' the Tambo.

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
 :D Hi there Browny.  As others have said it is possible to maybe get a new entry level softfloor from an Aussie manufacturer for those sort of dollars.  I 've got a Customline and I'm sure the "offroad" model started at around $7000 with no bells etc.  They used to have a calculator/estimator on their website where you clicked on what trailer and what options and it gave you the list price.  I would guess that the other manufacturer's prices would be similar, (at least it could give you a starting point for bargaining  :angel: ).  Mind you adding options doesn't take long to add a few thousand here and there.
If you do get to look, also look at how some things are done (ie basic 12v) and see if you can do the same for less (get a battery box from s/ch--p or similar).
2nd hand is good too, but I know like with our trailer the newer models have a couple of options I would love to have been able to get back then.

Anyway good luck and happy hunting
 :cheers: Paul
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline browny81

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
Hi mark,

I heard about Tambo before they to seem to be very well built, the only thing putting me off is they're a long way from home, as I'm from Rockhampton. Though i checked out their web site After you mentioned it and their Marlo model seems to be very well priced The only one of this quality with the Walk option to bed for around 13k and that's brand new, thanks for your input.

Offline ralphedward

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »
Hi mark,

I heard about Tambo before they to seem to be very well built, the only thing putting me off is they're a long way from home, as I'm from Rockhampton. Though i checked out their web site After you mentioned it and their Marlo model seems to be very well priced The only one of this quality with the Walk option to bed for around 13k and that's brand new, thanks for your input.

Not a problem mate, if I can be of help I will.  The tyranny of distance isn't a problem with Tambo as the after sales  service is superb (anywhere in Aus).  None the less you are spoilt with choices in the segment you are looking at, just be carefull to ensure you get what you need, not what is in a glossy mag - there is far too much choice out there for any of us to get our heads around.   Keep your eye on the second hand market as there is always a hell of a lot on offer. Remember, as soon as you get a camper you'll want to start modifying it, then you'll have to buy extra stuff - bankruptcy soon follows :laugh:  Best of luck, hope to see you out there!!! :cheers:

Mark
SWMBO made me do it (whatever it was I did)!
VW Amarok & 'Cooper' the Tambo.

Offline bono

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
hi mate bought my trackabout 1 year ago best thing i have done for me and wife and 2 year old daughter .never had a bad trip yet been so many places it's gr8 .only can say good about my trackabout 9 foot kakadu got it new for 9 grand and 1 week after i got it took it 12000 km drive cross oz. hope you have as much fun