Author Topic: Howdy from Brisbane  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Butsy

• If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong
Howdy from Brisbane
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
Hey,  Just joined up and doing the formalities. Family of 5 is Brett (myself), wife Mary and 3 kids (2 daughters 11 & 13 and a boy 8 who has an energizer battery in his back). We live in the western suburbs of Brissie.  We have an 05 Pajero and 05 Xtrail. Also have a 5.5m fibreglass boat, but will be selling it (reluctantly) and getting a CT. Normally camp in the Oztrail Sportiva Homestead tent with everything jammed into a box trailer and then spend 1/2 the day setting up. Time to upgrade to the CT. Don't really want a caravan as it doesn't have the "camping" feel to it.  Have been camping at Bestbrook Mountain resort (near Maryvale), Teewah Beach a few times, Sth Straddie, NCBR and Goomburra Valley campground. 1st time for the wife was at Bestbrook over easter last year. Pi$$ed down rain for 4 days, trip to Warwick Hospital cause she got something in her eye and ended up with a scratched retina and had to wear a patch (lol), so wasn't exactly a good introduction for her considering she is a City girl from Sydney. Teewah is great except no amenities for the missus - she needs flushing toilets and hot showers to go again. NCBR was fantastic for the kids. Goomburra was a great spot, nice campground and decent amenities, but management has a lot to be desired. Rules coming out of their bot bots. Normally go with a group of 5 familes - the more the merrier. Wife had such a good trip she suggested 7 nights next time - go figure. Originally started at 1 night and have worked our way up to ease her and the kids in. Planning on a 5 nighter in the September holidays for another trip and looking at Mt Barney Lodge.  Kids absolutely love camping and are at me all the time now. Anyway, great to be a member, taking a while to read all the forums though, but all good reading and full of good stuff. As for the CT, looking at a Lifestyle unless someone has any recommedations.  Cheers Brett
2005 GLS Pajero - yet to be tricked up.

2007 Lifestyle 360

Re: Howdy from Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
Cheers mate, hope you find lots to interest you here.

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:03 PM »
Hi  Brett & Family
welcome to myswag
 :cheers: sheeds

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »

Welcome to MySwag. 

Nicest place to meet people on the internet ... especially if you have a camper trailer.  Another from BrisVegas is always a good thing.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »
Hi Brett and welcome to My Swag :cheers:

Offline Pete_R

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »
Welcome to MySwag Brett. You can spend hours trawling through all the useful info on this site
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline way-t-go

• Our Camper Trailer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 11:28:26 PM »
Welcome Brett and family. I agree with everything you said about Goomburra.

Gary
2009 'MDC' Off Road Deluxe Camper with more mods than you can poke a stick at.
2010 Mitsubishi PB Challenger Auto

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 05:54:54 AM »
Brett Welcome to MySwag , now your in theres no way out , as we dont want to go . Just to much to read & learn & people to meet   Enjoy  :cheers:

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:26:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum Brett, its a great place to find out all things campers and life in general, enjoy your stay

Offline Chris J

• My OKA - 166
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
Hi Brett,

Welcome to myswag Brett. Hot showers and flushing toilets everywhere, I'd like to see that!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline lachjake

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Gday Brett,

Welcome, now the fun begins !!! We also have taken the kids to Bestbrook, they loved it, they love camping full stop, 5 and 3 y/o. I have a LIFESTYLE EXPLORER+, great camper the Lifestyle ones, but so are plenty of others, I am just a lil biased now as I own one ...lol... Trackabout also a good kit, a couple more $$$ though I think ? Also sold a boat a few years back, so I am feeling your pain with that one, I watched it drive away down the street.. sad times... lol..    BUT  a CT will bring many many great times !!!
Enjoy.

Cheers  :cheers:

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
G'day & Welcome.

Great intro. One of my main reasons for joining was to find folks who shared my interest in camper trailers, camping, 4wds, etc, especially families. I haven't been disappointed and I'm sure you and your family will find a lot of enjoyment on here and out n about with other swaggers too.

Offline squirell

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »
Hi and welcome, hot showers and flushing toilets, what next, a dish washer, ( not you of course ) all the same, enjoy your stay.

Squirell/Graeme
Just spendin' the kids inheritence !!

Offline spargo

• "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »
Welcome!

Lifestyle or Trackabout - both awesome, depends what you want and how much coin you are willing or want to drop. We have a late-2010 Lifestyle Extenda. Absolutely love it. Camping with a 'nearly' 2y.o. and a currently 4 month pregnant Mrs S and we have a blast out in the sticks!

Recommend you consider camping at the Dandabah campo ground up in the Bunya's - despite the cold, it has timed but free hot showers, flushing toilets, and is a beautiful spot for kids with wildlife everywhere - one downside, no fires.

Also the Booloumba Creek campground near Kenilworth, but it might be getting a bit chilly.

Check out this topic for a cracking list of Qld camping spots: http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=746.0

ciao! see you out there in a CT soon enough.. get researching, unfortunately there's lots to consider..

Offline Butsy

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »
Thanks for the all the drum and the welcome. Looking forward to it and getting involved once I have a CT. As said before, I just have to sell the boat. lol.  And yes I am the dishwasher as well. I let the wife relax and I do all the work....all part of the camping experience and makes the day occupied.  All our friends we camp with call the missus "The Foreman" - good at standing around and looking busy and enjoys telling me what to do, but I wouldn't change it for anything. Goomburra was at Easter this year for 4 nights. The owners chipped everyone for anything and everything and say that other campers complained, but funny when you talk to other campers and no one complained and they themselves got into trouble. We are just normal campers, no loud music, just a few quiet beers around the fire at night when the kids go to sleep and in are in bed before midnight. All I can say is you don't go back if you don't like something about the place, be it grounds, amenities or management. And in this game, word of mouth is the best advertising. It's a pity cause it is a lovely spot.  Well off for more forum reading now. Thanks again and will see you round sooner rather than later.

2007 Lifestyle 360

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 07:38:44 PM »
Welcome to myswag butsy, I got a bit excited when I first read your post as I read your name as busty :)

Offline Butsy

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with man boobs when you're over 40, it means you've lived hard

2007 Lifestyle 360

Offline carinya

• Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 11:37:51 PM »
Welcome, apparently I've lived like a champion., just looking in the mirror.
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline Old Croc + plus one

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »
Hi Butsy
Welcome to My Swag Happy trails out there
Ford Ranger 2006