Author Topic: A Bit of Info on Hydration for the Over 50s on the Forum  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
A Bit of Info on Hydration for the Over 50s on the Forum
« on: September 04, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »
Subject: Serious advice for the 50+ age group.
Causes of: MENTAL CONFUSION IN THE THIRD AGE

By: Arnaldo Liechtenstein, physician.

Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in the fourth year of medicine, I ask the following question:

What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly?

Some offer: "Tumors in the head". I answer: No!

Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I answer again: No!

With each rejection of their answers, their responses dry up.

And they are even more open-mouthed when I list the three most common causes:

- uncontrolled diabetes;

- urinary infection;

- dehydration

It may sound like a joke, but it isn't. People over 50 constantly stop feeling thirsty and consequently stop drinking fluids.

When no one is around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate. Dehydration is severe and affects the entire body. It may cause abrupt mental confusion, a drop in blood pressure, increased heart palpitations,

angina (chest pain), coma and even death.

This forgetting to drink fluids begins at age 50, when we have just over 50% of the water we should have in our bodies. People over 50 have a lower water reserve. This is part of the natural aging process.

But there are more complications. Although they are dehydrated, they don't feel like drinking water, because their internal balance mechanisms don't work very well.

Conclusion:

People over 50 years old dehydrate easily, not only because they have a smaller water supply, but also because they do not feel the lack of water in the body.

Although people over 50 may look healthy, the performance of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body.

So here are two alerts:

1) * Get into the habit of drinking liquids *. Liquids include water, juices, teas, coconut water, milk, soups,and water-rich fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peaches and pineapple; Orange and tangerine also work.

The important thing is that, every two hours, you must drink some liquid. Remember this!

2) Alert for family members: constantly offer fluids to people over 50. At the same time, observe them.

If you realize that they are rejecting liquids and, from one day to the next, they are irritable, breathless or display a lack of attention, these are almost certainly recurrent symptoms of dehydration.

Arnaldo Liechtenstein (46), physician, is a general practitioner at Hospital das Clínicas and a collaborating professor in the Department of Clinical Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of São Paulo (USP).
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"
The following users thanked this post: Milton477, GeoffA, Fizzie

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: A Bit of Info on Hydration for the Over 50s on the Forum
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 12:53:54 PM »
It’s taken me years to work out the signs, but this article is so true especially the part about confusion and being irritable when dehydrated. I first worked it out in my twenties when doing a landscaping job around my house in summer as working out simple measurements became difficult or snapping at family who were helping over the smallest thing.

While it doesn’t take long to get dehydrated, I found it takes hours to get rehydrated.

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »
Very true, don't know how many times ive been busy doing something and forgot to drink then later on get that dehydrated headache that follows.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »
Cheers,
Like others, ya get busy and forget to drink.
As a new member of the RFS, we are continuously told to drink. Whether or not yoy have fininshed you last bottle, another is thrown to you.
Pockets on our pants, will take a 600ml water bottle. All vehicles have 12V fridges that are restocked at every opportunity.

The days that are at worse are, when there is a wind on a hot day, you sweat, which does keep your skin cool, but your body fluid drops, causing wjat you posted.
With summer just about here this is a great topic Steffo.
Good on ya for raising the subject.
Cheers
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 04:12:43 PM »
Well, that does it....I'm going to grab a beer and rehydrate.

I know some may say alcohol dehydrates you, with beer made of 90% water, I'll disagree !!   ;D :cheers:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline ronmac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just love my wild turkey
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 04:57:41 PM »
You're a man after my own heart, I'll drink to that. cheerz & beerz Ron.
The greatest gift you can give someone is your time, because when you give your time you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back.

Well, strip my gears and call me Shiftless.

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 05:20:52 PM »
Before drinking too much water forumites might like to consider the following from the Medical Journal of Australia although I don't think there's ever been an established link to beer consumption  :D .
https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2011/194/5/exercise-associated-hyponatraemia-kokoda-track

Exercise-associated hyponatraemia (EAH) is a modern, life-threatening condition first described in 1985 after introduction of guidelines promoting excessive fluid intake during exercise. EAH is defined as hyponatraemia occurring during or up to 24 hours after prolonged exercise (generally > 4 hours duration).3 This “conditioned overhydration” — drinking beyond thirst, variously influenced by misunderstanding of exercise physiology, media including sports-drink advertising, and forced rehydration protocols — has been reported among hikers, military personnel and long-distance sports participants. Despite being well documented in scientific literature, those most at risk are unaware of this preventable condition. (my emphasis)
NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »
Before drinking too much water forumites might like to consider the following from the Medical Journal of Australia although I don't think there's ever been an established link to beer consumption  :D .
https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2011/194/5/exercise-associated-hyponatraemia-kokoda-track

Exercise-associated hyponatraemia (EAH) is a modern, life-threatening condition first described in 1985 after introduction of guidelines promoting excessive fluid intake during exercise. EAH is defined as hyponatraemia occurring during or up to 24 hours after prolonged exercise (generally > 4 hours duration).3 This “conditioned overhydration” — drinking beyond thirst, variously influenced by misunderstanding of exercise physiology, media including sports-drink advertising, and forced rehydration protocols — has been reported among hikers, military personnel and long-distance sports participants. Despite being well documented in scientific literature, those most at risk are unaware of this preventable condition. (my emphasis)

Ha ha....I was thinking of beer consumption.......no exercise involved.   ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »
Well, that does it....I'm going to grab a beer and rehydrate..

Just one??  ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 08:10:01 PM »
Ha ha....I was thinking of beer consumption.......no exercise involved.   ;D ;D

Cant be much of a drinker Gronk if you have never suffered beer drinkers elbow!  Serious disability from over use of the elbow..... :cheers: :cheers:  :angel:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 08:50:47 PM »
Amusing story 1, dehydration (well amusing after the event)  -
At start of Victoria's first covid lockdown our workshop manager (working from home) was on phone talking to workshop supervisor (1st day back of 7 on, 7 off shift). Supervisor (a fit 30 year old) wondering around back yard of depot getting some fresh air due to feeling a bit off. Supervisor trips over some uneven ground. Phone remains connected, but manager can't get supervisor to respond. Rings one of the other mechanics to go check on supervisor. Finds him, pretty dazed, big gash on head where he has head butted ground. Mechanic and spare parts dude take him down to the local one doctor clinic to make sure he is ok after possible concussion.
Doctor asks for symptoms - nauseous (prior to fall), headache (after fall).
Oh dear. Covid symptoms!! Outcome hazmat suits, call ambulance,  off to hospital.......
Work shop shut. Possible covid outbreak. Send all staff home.
Oh no. Staff don't want to go home and infect families!!
Ok. Put them up in hotel until supervisor gets results. It's only 10am. Buggar that. We'll keep working. If we're infected we're infected. So they keep working until about 3pm, then head to hotel, changing into some other clothes that the manager has had to spend all day collecting from  their homes because the hotel won't allow them in wearing overalls.
By 4pm they're into beers and T bones on the company expense account.
At 5pm the hospital decide to not test the supervisor, instead telling him he is dehydrated and needs to go home and have a drink.

All that mucking around because he didn't have smoko!!

Turns out supervisor, who is a workaholic and generally survives on sweet biscuits, red meat, and coffee, had been to busy working on his 7 days off and had been neglecting his liquid intake. Ironically he has a better diet when on his 7 x 12hr shifts with regular brew breaks than he does when on his days off.
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 08:58:49 PM »
Amusing story 2, over hydration -
Mrs seems to often suffer from odd  medical ailments. After a couple of months of not feeling "right" she went to doctors. Dr orders blood tests.

Blood test show she is low in everything. Doctor asks if she drinks much water. At that time she was always wondering around with a 2 litre drink bottle that she would refill numerous times a day.
Seems that 6 to 8 litres of water a day was diluting her blood.

Replaced her water bottle with a 1 litre version,  and reverted to chocolate and wine  to deal with work stress and all good again. :cheers:
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 10:01:50 PM »
Hi,
    Treckers on the Kokoda  Track often take Camel Packs, a bladder and a suction tube. Several have died of unknown causes. One time a girl went unconscious and a doctor was in the group who twigged to the over hydration issue and kept her alive.
It would seem a few big drinks spaced out are better than continuously sucking on the water bottle.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:31:23 AM by austastar »

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 08:15:44 AM »
Hi,
    Treckers on the Kokoda  Track often take Came? Packs, a bladder and a suction tube. Several have died of unknown causes. One time a girl went unconscious and a doctor was in the group who twigged to the over hydration issue and kept her alive.
It would seem a few big drinks spaced out are better than continuously sucking on the water bottle.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Never had that problem in my younger days when I kept pouring beer down my throat....for hrs at a time ?   ;D

Still do it, but at a far slower rate !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 09:25:49 AM »
I suffered badly from this when I bushwalking once. It was on one of our early walks and we were told we could replenish our supplies at a certain point. Of course on arrival there was no water to be had. Scrounged around to find what we could and then had to push on for a couple of hours. I was history by the time we made it to camp. I managed to get the tent up while the missus went to find some water. I downed the whole bottle and then flaked out in the tent for an hour or so. Kept drinking and fortunately was reasonably ok by evening. What an important lesson though.

Low fluid levels are also a problem for me when we a touring, particularly up north. I don't seem to get thirsty even in the warm weather, and with the driving and being an extremely slow learner, I don't think to drink. Fortunately the missus keeps an eye out and drags out our water bottles every now and again to keep me going.

Of course once happy hour arrives at camp the amber stuff helps top me up again.

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 12:21:26 PM »
Thank god I'm over 50. No way could I have walked 40K's through the desert on 3l of water in my 20's  :laugh:
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »
I set up a fishing campground for our club a few years ago in Arnhemland.  One stinking hot November a mate and his buddy from down south went there for a few days pig hunting. I had just moved over to Cairns at this stage. Temps were probably high 30,s to low 40,s. Very, very humid and hot.  He really shouldnt have gone.  Anyways he went missing. His mate got back to camp and using a sat phone asked for help.  Three days later they found me old mate dead up against a low tree. Even though there was water around the dehydration and heat had fuddled his brain. He was as fit as a Mallee bull, 36 years old and no stranger to the bush environment.  Reckon he got a bit excited chasing pigs and didn't realise he was getting heat heat stroke. I,ve had it a couple of time when I,ve been working out bush....like too many others I dont bother to drink enough water. Little wiser now so hopefully I,ll never get heat exhaustion again.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

griz

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 02:11:08 PM »
Does rum count?

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 03:04:24 PM »
Amusing story 2, over hydration -
Mrs seems to often suffer from odd  medical ailments. After a couple of months of not feeling "right" she went to doctors. Dr orders blood tests.

Blood test show she is low in everything. Doctor asks if she drinks much water. At that time she was always wondering around with a 2 litre drink bottle that she would refill numerous times a day.
Seems that 6 to 8 litres of water a day was diluting her blood.

Replaced her water bottle with a 1 litre version,  and reverted to chocolate and wine  to deal with work stress and all good again. :cheers:

Our truck driver at work who delivers plant and material to the building sites we are on carried a 2L bottle with him that he filled a few times a day. He got quite ill and it turned out he stripped a lot of the nutrients out of his body from too much water.

Offline tedota

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 05:41:01 PM »
Our truck driver at work who delivers plant and material to the building sites we are on carried a 2L bottle with him that he filled a few times a day. He got quite ill and it turned out he stripped a lot of the nutrients out of his body from too much water.

Yep, you gotta replace electrolytes in the body. Worked in Karratha digging holes and would drink between 10-15 litres a day and not even piss. All came out as sweat due to the humidity.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2020, 07:46:53 PM »
Working on mine at moment.. sadly they didnt have the Coldstream Hills Reserve :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 07:53:55 AM »
I suffered badly from this when I bushwalking once. It was on one of our early walks and we were told we could replenish our supplies at a certain point. Of course on arrival there was no water to be had. Scrounged around to find what we could and then had to push on for a couple of hours. I was history by the time we made it to camp.

Was reading an article about this yonks back, when Camel-Baks were still a new thing (!)

Bloke heading out on a trek using a Camel-Bak for the first time, instead of a water bottle, so he's taking constant sips of water from the tube, rather than stopping, taking his water bottle out & having a swig.

Got to his turn-round point, 10k out, & found that he'd completely emptied the Camel-Bak without even realising how much he was drinking :o, so he then had a 10k trip home, dry :'(

Problem was that the bladder was in his pack, together with everything else, so no sense of decreasing weight, & he couldn't see how much he was drinking, not like using a water bottle, when you can feel, & usually see, how full it is.

Trap for young (& not-so-young!) players, that one :'(

Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday