Author Topic: E-Readers which one?  (Read 20842 times)

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: E-Readers which one?
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2013, 08:06:34 AM »
Theres No substitute to epaper readers. Kobo and kindle are prolly on par. We chose kobos because they handle none drm content better. I have a touch and the wife has a glo.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Code: [Select]
5M strips SMD3528x150 SMD3528x300 SMD5050*150 SMD5050x300 
LED Qty 150 pcs 300 pcs 150 pcs 300 pcs
Voltage DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V
Current(A) 1Amp 2Amp 3Amp 6Amp
Pwr 12 watt 24 watt 36 watt 72 watt

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
Hey U too how you been?
This is part of my worry as I love books but I hear good things about the ereader type screen I really like to read but have a book shelf overflowing with books and thought with a ereader then I don't have to hold the page open as much as just hold it at a good angle to read.  We will never own an ithing in this house lol. Andrew is no fan of theirs.

Yeah probably Mills and Boon and 50 shades of Grey. hee hee
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2013, 11:10:52 AM »
Bought the bride a Kindle a couple of years ago.  She loves it.  While it is never the same as holding and reading a book it has many other advantages.  The main one being the screen shows as a page, not back light and she doesn't get any of the eye strain or head aches that sometimes happen.   

http
://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051QVF7A/?tag=gocous-20&hvadid=8782576877&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3364586871173744347&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1jz3836cn0_e

This could get a bit confusing for anyone reading, but as the name says, "alnjan", it covers us both...I'm the "Jan" bit!  hello!

as Al said, I've been using my kindle touch for a couple of years...wow, two and a half when I add it up, geez that went quick!  I'm happy with it.

I wanted an e-reader for a couple of reasons, but mainly so I could take my bookcase with me when we go away, camping/travelling.  A lot of my friends take one book and that does them for two or three weeks.  I read one book in a day! Big books. the little ones are an easy afternoon read!  Getting the picture here?  One bag for clothes, one bag for books...now with the kindle I have room for shoes as well!  lol

I have the kindle touch.  I have arthritis in my hands, so wanted something without buttons.  The only drawback with the 'touch' is that sometimes I touch the screen without meaning to, a page will turn.  Or I go to wipe off a speck of fluff etc the page will turn.  No biggy really, but I do have to find where I was, the 'back button' helps.  I mainly use my kindle when camping, the battery life is incredible, even for the amount that I read, I still get a month between charges; not that I've needed it yet, but I bought a 12volt charger for it that plugs straight into the cigarette lighter in the landcruiser, so I'm covered if I need to charge it while out in the bush. (that is if I can get time amongst camera batteries and phones charging) (why do I read so much when camping? Instead of being out there climbing mountains?  Well, it's not because I don't want to, but after having my femur replaced, that sort of thing is beyond me, so I now enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the surrounds, with a cup of tea and a good 'book')

I didn't want a backlit screen.  I have dodgy eyes and they get really tired looking at computer screens and tvs, and I didn't want another backlit screen.  I think that would chew up your battery life too.  Yes, there are now kindles, and other e-readers, with built in light, but again it's using the same power source as your reader.  I bought a small clip-on craft light, runs LEDs, quite bright, has several power settings, so I can use a soft light or brighter ones, it's on a flexible neck and takes two AAA batteries.  It's lightweight and I just carry a spare set of batteries for the time i need to change them, not that I've had to yet; the LEDs don't draw much power. When I bought my kindle, I also got a hard cover for it, opens like a book cover. I fold it back when reading and that's what I clip my light too. works a treat.

There is now a kindle white or something like that available.  Looks like white paper.  I don't think I personally will go that way when I upgrade.  Take a white paper paged book into the sun and a 'normal' colour paged book and read out there.....there's quite a bit extra glare coming off the white white page as opposed to what we normally call white.

I can't comment on any of the other brands of e-readers, as I haven't had an opportunity to use any of them.  I haven't tried to borrow books for my kindle from a public library yet - there are so many free download books available from Amazon, that I now carry a large collection of books with me anyway, and they're usually on the kindle in under a minute.  The books that I want to read over and over again I've bought; they're 'copies' of what is in my book case - you know the ones I mean, the ones you just can't live without. Electronic versions are much cheaper than the printed editions.

About the only thing I'd suggest you keep in mind when buying whatever e-reader you settle on is to make sure you get the screen size you're comfortable with.  If you get a screen that's too small, then the font size will have to be small.  So stick with a screen that's "book-sized" and then you can set the font to the size you're familiar with reading.  That way, you'll hardly notice the difference once you're used to holding an e-reader instead of a book.

Oh! one added benefit to an e-reader.....the pages don't fall out, no matter HOW many times you read a book!!  lol

As useful (note that word) as my kindle is, it will never replace my books.  My PASSION is BOOKS; the feel of them, even the smell of the paper, it all adds to my reading pleasure.  The kindle is a useful tool, and one I'll continue to use when I need to.

ps. Just been reading the other responses and they talk about networks etc.  I'm not locked into any network - the kindle operates wirelessly, which I turn off in-between downloading anything to conserve battery life.  I have downloaded straight onto my computer from Amazon, hooked up the supplied cable and transferred onto the kindle that way.

I find it easier to browse Amazons free books on the computer and have the wireless setting selected to 'ON' on the kindle.  When I find a book that sounds interesting, the next step is a 'click' of a button on the computer screen and the 'book' is downloaded straight to my kindle in under a minute - easy peasy!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:43:34 AM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline wombatx8

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »
Have both an IPad and a Kindle. Bought the Kindle first 4 years ago. prefer reading books on the Kindle, but are times, especially with diagrams, the IPad is better. Probably a new Kindle would handle them better, but I find that by using both I get the best of both worlds.

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
Not to bad with a computer I am on it enough haha but the BF knows his way around them pretty well.

Get an e reader and a tablet. Since this guy sounds really smart you could get a Toshiba Windows 8 tablet (clearly your bloke is smart enough to use it) and it will probably keep him quiet while you read.

Once you work out what you want, drop some subtle hints you might get one as a present (because you partner probably has a sense for this sort of stuff).
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »
There is one huge drawback with a ereader.

What to do with the fly?
With the old fashion book, you will hit it and continue reading.
But with the ereader.......................
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »

Yeah probably Mills and Boon and 50 shades of Grey. hee hee

Nah not my style I thought that was your bookshelf. Haha
Get an e reader and a tablet. Since this guy sounds really smart you could get a Toshiba Windows 8 tablet (clearly your bloke is smart enough to use it) and it will probably keep him quiet while you read.

Once you work out what you want, drop some subtle hints you might get one as a present (because you partner probably has a sense for this sort of stuff).
[/quote

Those who dont know lino6 is the partner BF I mention so now I can get a present.

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »

What to do with the fly?

Hahahaha picturing this that is funny not so much I guess if you drop the ereader.

This could get a bit confusing for anyone reading, but as the name says, "alnjan", it covers us both...I'm the "Jan" bit!  hello!

as Al said, I've been using my kindle touch for a couple of years...wow, two and a half when I add it up, geez that went quick!  I'm happy with it.

I wanted an e-reader for a couple of reasons, but mainly so I could take my bookcase with me when we go away, camping/travelling.  A lot of my friends take one book and that does them for two or three weeks.  I read one book in a day! Big books. the little ones are an easy afternoon read!  Getting the picture here?  One bag for clothes, one bag for books...now with the kindle I have room for shoes as well!  lol

I have the kindle touch.  I have arthritis in my hands, so wanted something without buttons.  The only drawback with the 'touch' is that sometimes I touch the screen without meaning to, a page will turn.  Or I go to wipe off a speck of fluff etc the page will turn.  No biggy really, but I do have to find where I was, the 'back button' helps.  I mainly use my kindle when camping, the battery life is incredible, even for the amount that I read, I still get a month between charges; not that I've needed it yet, but I bought a 12volt charger for it that plugs straight into the cigarette lighter in the landcruiser, so I'm covered if I need to charge it while out in the bush. (that is if I can get time amongst camera batteries and phones charging) (why do I read so much when camping? Instead of being out there climbing mountains?  Well, it's not because I don't want to, but after having my femur replaced, that sort of thing is beyond me, so I now enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the surrounds, with a cup of tea and a good 'book')

I didn't want a backlit screen.  I have dodgy eyes and they get really tired looking at computer screens and tvs, and I didn't want another backlit screen.  I think that would chew up your battery life too.  Yes, there are now kindles, and other e-readers, with built in light, but again it's using the same power source as your reader.  I bought a small clip-on craft light, runs LEDs, quite bright, has several power settings, so I can use a soft light or brighter ones, it's on a flexible neck and takes two AAA batteries.  It's lightweight and I just carry a spare set of batteries for the time i need to change them, not that I've had to yet; the LEDs don't draw much power. When I bought my kindle, I also got a hard cover for it, opens like a book cover. I fold it back when reading and that's what I clip my light too. works a treat.

There is now a kindle white or something like that available.  Looks like white paper.  I don't think I personally will go that way when I upgrade.  Take a white paper paged book into the sun and a 'normal' colour paged book and read out there.....there's quite a bit extra glare coming off the white white page as opposed to what we normally call white.

I can't comment on any of the other brands of e-readers, as I haven't had an opportunity to use any of them.  I haven't tried to borrow books for my kindle from a public library yet - there are so many free download books available from Amazon, that I now carry a large collection of books with me anyway, and they're usually on the kindle in under a minute.  The books that I want to read over and over again I've bought; they're 'copies' of what is in my book case - you know the ones I mean, the ones you just can't live without. Electronic versions are much cheaper than the printed editions.

About the only thing I'd suggest you keep in mind when buying whatever e-reader you settle on is to make sure you get the screen size you're comfortable with.  If you get a screen that's too small, then the font size will have to be small.  So stick with a screen that's "book-sized" and then you can set the font to the size you're familiar with reading.  That way, you'll hardly notice the difference once you're used to holding an e-reader instead of a book.

Oh! one added benefit to an e-reader.....the pages don't fall out, no matter HOW many times you read a book!!  lol

As useful (note that word) as my kindle is, it will never replace my books.  My PASSION is BOOKS; the feel of them, even the smell of the paper, it all adds to my reading pleasure.  The kindle is a useful tool, and one I'll continue to use when I need to.

ps. Just been reading the other responses and they talk about networks etc.  I'm not locked into any network - the kindle operates wirelessly, which I turn off in-between downloading anything to conserve battery life.  I have downloaded straight onto my computer from Amazon, hooked up the supplied cable and transferred onto the kindle that way.

I find it easier to browse Amazons free books on the computer and have the wireless setting selected to 'ON' on the kindle.  When I find a book that sounds interesting, the next step is a 'click' of a button on the computer screen and the 'book' is downloaded straight to my kindle in under a minute - easy peasy!

Hi Jan thanks so much for commenting and for putting so much information in your post that was very helpful especially the information about loading books etc.  I am the same I really like books and take a few if we go away not quite a bag full haha but usually at least 3 and just think it would be so much better to just have them all in one for travelling.  I will see if I can find a store that has a few kindle options to have a play with as it looks like JB don't stock them but I think dick smith do.  :cheers:

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2013, 07:03:54 PM »
Both kindle and kobo are in the new big w catalogue.
 Fairly good prices, nothing to leave the fire for tho haha.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »
Dick Smith is the stockiest in Australia.  At the time they didn't have the Kindle Touch in Australia and tried to get it from Amazon, but they wouldn't send it to Australia, due to Dick Smith being the Australian distributor.  We ended up going through a third party in USA to get the Kindle Touch in time for when we wanted.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

champin

« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
  I have just been given a Kobo Glo for my fifty oneth and I cannot be more pleased with it. The Kobo is way more friendlier to different formats hence a larger variety of books than the kindle which to my knowledge can only receive "amz" format from amazon. Supposedly one month of battery life and up to 1000 books with more storage available with micro sd card. I am waiting for a leather cover for it as I can be a little rough with the gear. Must be the boilermaker in me.

Offline Jjw1234

• Tent User
E-Readers which one?
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2013, 08:07:06 PM »
The kindle uses mobi format files but its very easy to change the ebook format with a free program called calibre

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 09:24:55 PM »
Both kindle and kobo are in the new big w catalogue.
 Fairly good prices, nothing to leave the fire for tho haha.

Cheers
Evo

If you decide on a Kobo, look at the prices on Harris Technology website, then do a Price guarantee through Officeworks
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2013, 11:20:36 PM »
Okay, here comes the obvious question from me....what is an E-Reader?
Tjupurula

KingBilly

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
Okay, here comes the obvious question from me....what is an E-Reader?
Tjupurula

An electronic book. Similar to a small ipad but uses a screen which is not back lit, like your new ipad or a computer, so can only be read in ambient light, similar to a paper book.  The e-ink screen is better for your eyes and causes less eye strain.  Normally a page fits on the screen, like a book, and you flick the screen or press a button to turn a page.  They are not very expensive and you purchase books over the internet, although google has scanned thousands of books, now out of copyright, which you can access for free.

KB

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »
An electronic book. Similar to a small ipad but uses a screen which is not back lit, like your new ipad or a computer, so can only be read in ambient light, similar to a paper book.  The e-ink screen is better for your eyes and causes less eye strain.  Normally a page fits on the screen, like a book, and you flick the screen or press a button to turn a page.  They are not very expensive and you purchase books over the internet, although google has scanned thousands of books, now out of copyright, which you can access for free.

KB

Thanks KB, it proves to me that there is still so much I have to learn, sometime in the future.
Tjupurula

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
I am using Calibre as well to convert files or manage the books.
I found a site where I could download all Clive Cussler and Stephen King books in one go.  That will give me many hours of reading.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2013, 11:27:32 AM »
Wilsurf,  free download or paid?

Can PM me with details if you don't want to post,  I find some of, ok, most of, those free 29500 books are not my sort of reading ......
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
Hi Nay-DMAX
Thanks for the thread, well maybe not.  Napanangka has now decided that we have to start putting our pennies aside so that we can buy one eventually.  WE both love reading, and getting books out here in the desert is a challenge in itself.
Regards
Tjupurula

BernieS

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »

What to do with the fly?

Good olde fashioned fly swat works well  ;D

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »
Hi Nay-DMAX
Thanks for the thread, well maybe not.  Napanangka has now decided that we have to start putting our pennies aside so that we can buy one eventually.  WE both love reading, and getting books out here in the desert is a challenge in itself.
Regards
Tjupurula

You know she has that new coodro? (was that right) so is best if you listen to her haha. It will be good though if books are hard to get what sort of books do you both she like could get some books on your ipad to see if you like  reading them that way.

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
You know she has that new coodro? (was that right) so is best if you listen to her haha. It will be good though if books are hard to get what sort of books do you both she like could get some books on your ipad to see if you like  reading them that way.

The IPad is mainly for the grandkids and Napanangka, I have not touched it since I have been back, and that is perfectly as it should be.  We do not have mobile reception here, so cannot download onto the IPad, though I believe Steve (SteveandViv) may be helping us with something to do with this.  I really enjoy a magazine called Scientific American and National Geographic.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2013, 04:46:30 PM »
I use my iphone..... like everything it takes some training and getting use to but now I can't imagine going back - If I fall asleep reading as a I normally do the screen switches itself off (I use the change the lettering so it is white on a black background at night) so DH no longer needs to go to sleep with a pillow over his head because I've fallen asleep and left the bedside light on lol

And because its on my phone I always have a book with me which I love

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
Hi Nay-DMAX

Maybe what you could do Tjupurula is write a book, sell a copy each to all the Myswag members and use the profits to buy an e-reader! I'm not a betting man, but I bet you would sell a lot of books.
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »
Maybe what you could do Tjupurula is write a book, sell a copy each to all the Myswag members and use the profits to buy an e-reader! I'm not a betting man, but I bet you would sell a lot of books.

Hi Lino
Somehow I do not think such a book would be a big seller, as we do not have exctiing adventure filled lives, we live with our culture and customs, not a lot else.
Tjupurula