Author Topic: Reverse Camera  (Read 27455 times)

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
Re: Reverse Camera
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 08:27:32 AM »
Maverick, do u need the GPS function as well? VMS do a good one with a portable GPS and camera set up. Or I was in Jaycar yesterday and they have a $300 jobby.

Just an idea.

:cheers:

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 09:04:11 AM »
I bought mine out of Hong Kong on ebay for $70.00, complete, and free delivery, works great and has the line markings so you can better judge the distances.  Its a colour screen (5 inch, but also is available in 7 inch) and the camera is made to fit into the position you take one of the numberplate lights out of.  It is supplied with both hard wired connection or wireless and I connected up with wireless and its working perfect.

Wouldnt be without it :D

Trevor
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »

Just need to find a nice head unit to replace the factory unit (open for ideas)
By the way the GU is an 05 model

http://www.digoptions.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1861

Offline fabulous

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »
We have one on the Patrol, fantastic - regardless of your mirrors, I can not see immediately behind the vehicle.  Also good for hooking up the Cub.
Our Camper

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=5261.0

Our Patrol

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10214.msg152303#msg152303

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
I bought mine out of Hong Kong on ebay for $70.00, complete, and free delivery, works great and has the line markings so you can better judge the distances.  Its a colour screen (5 inch, but also is available in 7 inch) and the camera is made to fit into the position you take one of the numberplate lights out of.  It is supplied with both hard wired connection or wireless and I connected up with wireless and its working perfect.

Trevor
I've got the same as Trevor but hard wired mine to a screen I also bought from China.   About $40- all up and some time to install and is still working a treat over 2 years down the track.   Always use my mirrors but a great back up and a nice bit of insurance doing Kinder and school drop offs and pick ups.   And isn't it easier hitching up the camper!
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
StrvnMrvn, A GPS function would be nice and handy in the future.

Does anyone have a link to the vms system
If you never go, you'll never know

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »
Maverick, here is where im looking

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/vms/vms_touring.htm

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 01:33:10 PM »
That VMS unit doesn't look like an in dash unit. You could fit a late model Hilux head unit with cam/navif you wanted.

I didn't want nav as my phone (Nokia Lumia 800) does a good enough job for the times I need it in the burbs. I have an eBay special GPS for when I am in the bush but I plan to upgrade to a Hema HN6.

Here's a link to the different OE Toyota head units.
2011 Audio Systems
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:42:54 PM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
Might get Evolution to pick up a Pioneer and camera and I will try out the new Nexus 7 when I can afford it for nav.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »
That VMS unit doesn't look like an in dash unit. You could fit a late model Hilux head unit with cam/navif you wanted.

I didn't want nav as my phone (Nokia Lumia 800) does a good enough job for the times I need it in the burbs. I have an eBay special GPS for when I am in the bush but I plan to upgrade to a Hema HN6.

Here's a link to the different OE Toyota head units.
2011 Audio Systems

I don't want in dash kit, I want to be able to take it out and use the GPS in the misso's car.
Cheers

Strvy

Marschy

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 03:37:20 PM »
Very interesting topic. Got me to do a bit of reading.

What sort of video lens would people suggest. CCD, IR, Night Vision.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »
Very interesting topic. Got me to do a bit of reading.

What sort of video lens would people suggest. CCD, IR, Night Vision.

Cheers, Marschy

I understand night vision and IR, but what is CCD?
Cheers

Strvy

Marschy

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »
I understand night vision and IR, but what is CCD?

Closed Circuit Digital

Marschy

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »
Closed Circuit Digital

Actually 'charge coupled device'

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »

Trevor

I am looking to fit one in our campervan. Cant see anything out the back window and the extra thick tint on there would make it impossible even if it was clear.
Hought might have some issues with a wireless unit.
I should look into fitting a wired unit, but if a wireless unit was working good, that would save me some headache.
Do you have a link?
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 06:18:19 PM »
I don't want in dash kit, I want to be able to take it out and use the GPS in the misso's car.
units such as the Hema hn5i (and i assume the newer hn6) have the ability to hook a reverse camera up to them if your after a removable GPS also.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline NoDust

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 07:02:26 PM »
Gday Trevor. I'm keen on getting a wireless one, but have heard they can be unreliable. You're obviously happy with yours.
What is the name or brand of it?
Thanks.   Neil
2015 Discovery TDV6. 2016 AORC Quantum Series 4.

Marschy

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
How well do the rear view mirror screens hold up in high temperatures. Hopped in my car today and I reckon it was over 60 degrees in there. With the mirror screens sitting for the most part in direct sunlight they must cop a beating with high temperatures. Is the enclosure made of similar plastic to the plastic on original mirrors?

Offline Flightrisk

• Sleeping Bag User
Reverse Camera
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
My mirror one seems fine, it's been through really hot days and really cold days and still works a treat.

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »
Gday Trevor. I'm keen on getting a wireless one, but have heard they can be unreliable. You're obviously happy with yours.
What is the name or brand of it?
Thanks.   Neil

There was no name on the unit I got but the dealer was very helpful, I told him what I wanted and he gave me some options with full kits and different size screens in colour and B/W.  Here is his link to the camera I bought from his ebay shop http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SONY-CCD-CAR-REAR-VIEW-REVERSE-CAMERA-TOYOTA-Land-Cruiser-LC100-120-4500-4700-/160949273599?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25795303ff#ht_9092wt_906

He has a lot more than whats shown in the ebay store, if your interested.

Trevor
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline NoDust

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 08:25:16 AM »
Thanks Trevor...I'll check it out.
2015 Discovery TDV6. 2016 AORC Quantum Series 4.

Offline BLKWDW

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »
Personally, I think it is a must in any 4wd, Station Wagon, Van or any car for that matter. Any tool that can assist in preventing the unthinkable (reverse over a child) has to be good. I pup one in mine and would rate it as one of the best mods I have ever done. Make shopping centre car parking a breeze, hitching a trailer easy with no wife interface required and the safety aspects speak for themselves.....IMO they should be a compulsory fit to new cars......:-)

I 100% agree with this post. I dont think its a lazy thing to have one but some people will only use the camera to reverse. I think any device fitted to a car to help prevent potential deadly accident is a good thing but should still be used in conjunction with your mirrors whilst still reversing and not relying 100% on the camera. Look at it like a 4th mirror i reckon.

When i was driving a car carrier i had to reverse alot of cars on the trailer in very close proximitey( 4 fingers space between cars) and they saved alot of pain having to get in and out of the car to check how close you were and really saved me money from accidentally hitting a car behind me. Just about all the higher spec cars from all the models had reversing cameras factory fitted.

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »
I would love to get one that is integrated into the dash. Replace the 2din steroe in the 80 with a system to do navigation, radio, reversing etc... I would also like to get a front facing camera.

When our kids were young I refused to take the LandCruiser anywhere near the school as the number of times I have seen near misses with small kids walking between cars and waiting to cross the road. The driver of the 4wd that the kids is standing infront of cannot see there is a small child infront of their car as their heads do not come up over the bonnet.

I preferred to walk to 3 minutes from an adjoining street and keep my Cruiser well away from the kids.

getting back to it I would have a reverse camera on the camper and low mount on the car, and a forward facing camera as well.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »
I am planning to replace my current 7" Hong Kong GPS with one that incorporates a reversing camera, mainly for hitching up the trailer.  Cost less than $100.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 11:39:44 AM »
i have a Polaris GPS with reversing camera (plus ability to add a camera on the back of the trialer later)......i find it a pain in the arse for hooking up as i never had any problems before and would do it all with my mirrors in one go, now i have the camera it take 2 or 3 goes at it before getting it right.

love it for an aid at backing up the trailer or parking, but i dont rely on just the camera
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111