Author Topic: Mice, Ants and bugs O my!  (Read 2056 times)

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
Mice, Ants and bugs O my!
« on: May 07, 2012, 07:47:27 AM »
Now we've got the camper I'm a bit worried about it's storage, we have plenty of shed space, with no obvious feed supplies in them, but mice, bugs and the occasional snake or cat have been known to sneak their way into the various machinery and vehicles stored in the sheds. 

So looking for a way to keep them out, it has been put out that we get another shipping container and shift all the camping/fishing gear into it, thus making it all safe from most problems and freeing up some mice proof storage space.  But that option is obviously quite expensive.

I've read through a couple of old threads in here and thought about practising some necromancy on them, but the post reply thingy gave me a big red message and scared me off  :angel:

The recommendation back then was for Camphor blocks, and Ant sand around the camper.  Still a good option or have we found something better in the 2 years since those threads have been active? 

Both my mother and I have asthma so some of the stronger smelling options might work on both the mice and us.

:cheers:
John

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Mice, Ants and bugs O my!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »
jonnyd  lf you dont leave food in the CT it should be ok . All our dry food is stored in plastic  containers which are in 50L  ;Dstorage tubs with lids . The see through type you get at Office Works or the supermarket make it easy to handle & see whats in them . As for snakes , bats , or wild wombats & other vermon did a moat around the CT  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline mrdenn1s

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Dennis Does Cricket
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »
We had an ant attack recently (no food in the CT)

I just sprayed the whole CT with surface bug spray (lasts 6 months), including the wheels and supports

All good since then!!!
2014 Blue Water Tanami Soft floor Camper
2000 Landcruiser 105 GXL Inline 6
2011 Kia Sorento

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »
Did you get the CT from Willy Wonka ,  ??? what sort of ant wants to eat steel CTs  ???
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »
This type?

Don't intend on leaving food in the camper, but also haven't left food in any of the other things that they seem to like nesting in.  Damned destructive little buggers, consider anything they can bite a hole through to be food.  I've had them eat a hole through a packed up tent before and it had no food in it.

Bought some Camphor and surface spray today, so we'll see how that works out.

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »
I just spent today hopefully getting rid of the ants that had infested our CT, and no food left in it in fact most of the ants were between the CT outer roof and annex that was folded over it...well actually they were everywhere but 5 cans of surface spray and opened and checked everything and hopefully gone
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller