Author Topic: A Change of Lifestyles  (Read 2170 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
A Change of Lifestyles
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »
G'day people.

Over the next little while, 6 months to two years we could be having a lifestyle change in a lot of ways.  As time keeps rolling on we are starting to seriously look at the next stage of our life and what will suit our needs best for what we want to do.  Not just for now but for quite a while down the tracks, twenty years or so, so to speak. 

We have been looking at different campers/poptops/caravans etc for a while, trying to figure out what will be the best to suit our needs, now and in the future and have changed our  plans many times.  What has been one constant in our demands is the easy of movement in whatever we get.  My wife has mobility issues due to medical/health reasons and this has been a big factor in our decisions so far. 

Anyhow we are now looking at a Jayco Starcraft 16.67-5 Outback.  We happened to see it while at Watson's looking at something else we thought we might like.  The layout is simple but covers all our needs and wants while still being comfortable and hopefully allowing what we want to do. 

We will still be keeping our Cub camper when the urge to 4wd bush camp is needed.  The Starcraft will be more for the touring or extended camps.   

My question is i guess, we have really had nothing to do with this type of camping/caravaning call it what it may be.  Any advice, things to look out for etc. 

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: A Change of Lifestyles
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:33:43 AM »
I am looking at buying the same size atm in the New Age Range 16 foot Manta to be exact

My only reccomendation is that the price difference between pop top and full van in equivelant size is not much so i am going the full van. Most pop top owners complain about it being hot in summer and cool in winter as any of the air you have conditioned escapes out the top through the skirt.

After touring with the golstream camper for 5 months and thinking of the places we went i am also just going semi off road rather than full off road you save nearly 8k and the size and weight of a van limits where you can go most times anyway i feel that full offroad in a larger van is overkill and you will never use its full potential
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: A Change of Lifestyles
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »
I would go a full van if I can get the clearance but not for those reasons.  We find the pop top excellent in the hot as you can open it up. A/C on vans is marginal at best and noisey, don't rely on it, make sure you have cross ventilation and hatches.

Jayco are Jayco and good value for money, as long as you are handy and prepared to fix a few things.  I have looked at the Goldstream vans and next van I will seriously consider one.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim