Author Topic: What Camper to buy?? Jayco V Modcon V Mirage V Cameron  (Read 28257 times)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What Camper to buy?? Jayco V Modcon V Mirage V Cameron
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »
With regard to comments about cooking in the same room as you sleep, wondering why this gets mentioned quite often as a factor when deciding on style of CT to buy? From my point of view one of the main considerations for our family when choosing our GS was almost the opposite. I grew up tent camping and the thing that drove me and my parents mad was insects at meal time, especially at night. Moths in your stew is not fun, daytime in summer means flies and lots of them. We clean up after every meal, leave the roof vent and plastic windows open whilst cooking. So, that's another take on that angle. I would not necessarily rule out wind up style CT's based on the kitchen, inside may actually suit you (everyone's different, that's what makes the world an interesting place). Personally we have a 4.5yr old & a 2yr old and whilst we love the GS another thing to think about is a soft floor gives you a much larger in door enclosed area for the kids to play/be contained. With Jayco etc you have to put up an annexe to achieve similar, and you still don't get a floor. Anyways, a couple of other things to consider. IMHO weight is the biggest consideration, wind up CT 's & top end hard floors can be 1200kg+ unladen, meaning 1500-2000kg loaded depending on model and axle rating. Think about your tow vehicle and where you will be going. Good luck.

Totally agree we love cooking inside with the GS in crappy weather and as we have the oven there is nothing like the smell of roast in the camper at wilpena pound in the dead of winter absolutly pissingdown whilst sitting on your club lounge working through a bottle of red  if you are really worried you could put a fan in the roof hatch area like in the toilet of a caravan

Probably bacon and sausages are the only things i prefer to cook on the barbie outside
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »
Actually considering i am looking at buying a 16 foot ensuite caravan atm maybe take me with a grain of salt as working in the mines in the pilbra has made me soft ;D

But seriously we lived in our goldstream windup for 5 months and loved it
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »
With regard to comments about cooking in the same room as you sleep, wondering why this gets mentioned quite often as a factor when deciding on style of CT to buy? From my point of view one of the main considerations for our family when choosing our GS was almost the opposite. I grew up tent camping and the thing that drove me and my parents mad was insects at meal time, especially at night. Moths in your stew is not fun, daytime in summer means flies and lots of them. We clean up after every meal, leave the roof vent and plastic windows open whilst cooking. So, that's another take on that angle. I would not necessarily rule out wind up style CT's based on the kitchen, inside may actually suit you (everyone's different, that's what makes the world an interesting place). Personally we have a 4.5yr old & a 2yr old and whilst we love the GS another thing to think about is a soft floor gives you a much larger in door enclosed area for the kids to play/be contained. With Jayco etc you have to put up an annexe to achieve similar, and you still don't get a floor. Anyways, a couple of other things to consider. IMHO weight is the biggest consideration, wind up CT 's & top end hard floors can be 1200kg+ unladen, meaning 1500-2000kg loaded depending on model and axle rating. Think about your tow vehicle and where you will be going. Good luck.

Couldn't agree more. It great being ale to cook inside in bad weather. One of the reasons we chose the ultimate. The other reason is for something else you mentioned. The Tare is only 700kg on our model. As said good luck there is plenty to choose from.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
"I like the Jayco Dove Outback (this is the wife’s choice)."

.............(end of story)   
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline still_riding

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2014, 06:57:19 PM »
Damn you 'chester' now I'm looking at the Goldstreams, this is doing my head in!
A shunned Jayco owner is a happy Jayco owner.
'09 Jayco Dove, '11 D-Max, '11 Triumph Tiger 800xc

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »
Yep you will be shunned and yes no one will drink beer with you. >:D

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2014, 07:02:33 PM »
Damn you 'chester' now I'm looking at the Goldstreams, this is doing my head in!

We did the same thing origionally looked at soft floor then hard floor almost bought hard floor and then realised we were in jayco territory proce wise. Went and looked at jayco and were impressed with layout style. The went and looked at Goldstream were really impressed with quality and bought a Storm RL with the bushpack and a few other extras

Go look at Jayco and then Goldstream in the same day and the difference in build becomes readily apparent
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
1 thing about any Jayco you may buy is to sicaflex the joints on the inside, that is all of them. Use the preparation solution to ensure good adhesion and use the good marine grade sicaflex. This will stop the dust and moisture finding its way in. Take your time with this task, and you shall be re-warded with little CLEANING.

We looked at the Hawk, with the 3 x kids, we seen it as good set up with the kitchen at the Parents bed end, and I was going to build a removable bunk bed above the side couch.
But the difficulty for the wife to load the kitchen and fridge with out me being there was the turn off. She would have had to move it out on the front of the drive, then wind it up and slid out the beds. All of which she is not able to do.
We got a 2nd hand Modcon and have been most happy for it, this has coped a real flogging with the wind and stood up to it thanks to my Knack for finding Dud places to park the CT, they are built very well, especially the canvas work.
Have fun with the choice.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2014, 08:10:43 PM »
Forget the Outback version as you have kids and you're not going too far off the beaten track now and what's more your water won't last more than about 4 days with frugal sponge baths, etc and with a 90L fridge and 5 mouths to feed you won't want to be away from the shops too long anyway.

Our 2003 road Dove and Suzuki SX4 did close to 15000km up the NW of WA and we've been on plenty of corrugated and dirt tracks Jayco wouldn't exactly approve of. You'll need to bracket the cupboard shelves for corrugated roads-
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=29589.msg461924#msg461924
but as for sealing Jaycos there's the door and fridge venting and open flyscreens when you're camped so campers aren't dustproof anymore than home is with the windows open. Like all caras pay attention to seam sealing for water egress and don't assume factory production lines have got it all 100% all the time.

The Dove layout gives you the best bench space with table/lounge near the door so kids come in and sit down  there without disturbing cookie. Now the table will seat 4 so that's the 2 littleys near the wall, the eldest alongside at the back and cookie alongside the other littley closest the kitchen and dad perhaps with a lap stable table on the lounge. With 3 kids that's one sex or 2 so same 2 go on the double, mum and dad on the queen and eldest on the table dropdown so get the plugin bedlights so mum and dad can have the light on in bed (get 48 LED 5050 panels all round instead of the hot globes) with the curtains drawn. They're like 3 separate rooms and you need a big heavy van to duplicate that layout.

Now you want a Fiamma awning with alum director chairs with side tables and perhaps a table for outside and I'd hold off on the annexe and see how you go without one (perhaps tee up a hot price with dealer should you want to add one on the far side later) So many annexes are like new in the bag as you're not likely to set it up unless staying for a few days, although they are handy with kids on wet days.

Don't worry about the fridge not opposite the door as flicking the roof catches and winding the roof up just enough to allow the door to clear allows the kids access and they love to jump in the cubby to get tucker and gear out for lunch, etc (you'll have to have a roster to avoid sibling rivalry)

Why Jayco windups? Just look around you on the road and in the parks and remember fuel won't get any cheaper and it's wind resistance on our big flat continent that affects that the most. I reckon ULP would be around $2.40/L at William Creek at present and we paid $2.09 up the NW before the latest rise.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:14:08 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

nbd73

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 08:26:19 AM »

Go look at Jayco and then Goldstream in the same day and the difference in build becomes readily apparent
Sorry but I'm gonna disagree with this. Maybe the difference in fit out is obvious (personally think the GS decor, fabric etc is far superior in APPEARANCE) but what defines build quality? Have had several "quality issues", the worst by far was a leaking roof that developed about 12 months ago and despite amateur attempts by yours truly to fix, had to pay a caravan repairer to re silicone/seal the entire roof just prior to Xmas at the not so cheap out of warranty sum of $1300. The repairer said in 20 years of business the 2 most notorious brands for this fault are avan & goldstream. And the best? Yep, Jayco, especially with regards to progress in build methods and warranty claims.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
Sorry but I'm gonna disagree with this. Maybe the difference in fit out is obvious (personally think the GS decor, fabric etc is far superior in APPEARANCE) but what defines build quality? Have had several "quality issues", the worst by far was a leaking roof that developed about 12 months ago and despite amateur attempts by yours truly to fix, had to pay a caravan repairer to re silicone/seal the entire roof just prior to Xmas at the not so cheap out of warranty sum of $1300. The repairer said in 20 years of business the 2 most notorious brands for this fault are avan & goldstream. And the best? Yep, Jayco, especially with regards to progress in build methods and warranty claims.

OK each to their own the main differences i found were furniture wood quality, hinges, thickness of ply under each bed, internal bracing inside cubards, quality of canvas, quality of bed flys, axle size and thickness of chassis were all superior on the Goldstream to the Jayco
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
OK each to their own the main differences i found were furniture wood quality, hinges, thicknessty of ply under each bed, internal bracing inside cubards, quality of canvas, quality of bed flys, axle size and thickness of chassis were all superior on the Goldstream to the Jayco

I agree wholeheartedly that the overall quality and finishes are better on a GS. For me personally I couldn't justify the extra $14k it was going to cost me to have a goldy. The other one for me was the total length of the GS is longer than the Jayco which meant I couldn't get it in the garage. Also the bed flies are easily upgradable which I did.

Ultimately value, quality & price is always debatable. But now having my jayco for nearly 2 years and having a family of 5 sleep in it for close to 200 nights I'm happy with what you pay for in a Jayco.

Swannie

1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »
Exactly swannie there is no right or wrong one it is what works for each person at the time

Things will always change example i am currently looking at a 16 foot rear ensuite caravan as we want to hit the road again this time for a year and we would like some more comfort. So far by my reasearch i will probably go away from goldstream as from my looking i think that New Age have now surpassed them with their more modern designs and features as standard that Goldstream still call options
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2014, 11:40:05 AM »
OK each to their own the main differences i found were furniture wood quality, hinges, thicknessty of ply under each bed, internal bracing inside cubards, quality of canvas, quality of bed flys, axle size and thickness of chassis were all superior on the Goldstream to the Jayco

I agree wholeheartedly that the overall quality and finishes are better on a GS. For me personally I couldn't justify the extra $14k it was going to cost me to have a goldy. The other one for me was the total length of the GS is longer than the Jayco which meant I couldn't get it in the garage. Also the bed flies are easily upgradable which I did.

Ultimately value, quality & price is always debatable. But now having my jayco for nearly 2 years and having a family of 5 sleep in it for close to 200 nights I'm happy with what you pay for in a Jayco.

Swannie

That sums it up for us perfectly x10000.

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline still_riding

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
Thanks to 'Bad Mudder' for starting this thread and all who put in their views.

We ended up buying a 2009 Jayco Dove OB.

The kids and I stayed in a park on the way home after the buying the thing. Once I paid the money nobody talked to us at all. Must be true about Jayco owners getting shunned. Which is fine, 'cause I hate everybody anyway.

I suppose I'll have to get a bit more active on here instead of lurking...

Pete
A shunned Jayco owner is a happy Jayco owner.
'09 Jayco Dove, '11 D-Max, '11 Triumph Tiger 800xc

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2014, 11:12:29 PM »
Hi team,
Are Jayco owner allowed to share a beer around a camp fire with others or are they confined to their own camp fire?

This is a whole new world for me!

You'll get used to all the aspirational CT owners hanging around wistfully, so just be patient and not too condescending with them as they're still learning what it's all about  8)

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 05:08:26 AM »
You'll get used to all the aspirational CT owners hanging around wistfully, so just be patient and not too condescending with them as they're still learning what it's all about  8)

Yes it's funny that it's always the blokes that come around for a look through the setup but with the excuse that " oh my wife really wants one".
You can see the look in their eyes and you know it's them that want one.
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2014, 08:01:56 AM »
Yes it's funny that it's always the blokes that come around for a look through the setup but with the excuse that " oh my wife really wants one".
You can see the look in their eyes and you know it's them that want one.

I was like this before we bought our 2011 Hawk OB.

We soon realised that this style of camper wasn't for us ???

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »
I was like this before we bought our 2011 Hawk OB.

We soon realised that this style of camper wasn't for us ???

That's why they make Doves for discerning Jayco afficionados  :cup:

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 10:03:32 AM »
Mind you it's all relative as I've been escorting newbie bil around as he looks for a modest pop-top as he's thinking of selling his boat and catching the grey nomad bug from us. There's some very interesting crap out there and he's slowly upping the budget with globetrotting exec sis in mind no doubt.

With our Dove and Suzi Sx4 and our trip from Adel up the NW of WA, we were definitely the poor country cousins, although many vanners were permanent grey nomads and I couldn't help noticing the popularity of Jayco Sterlings with the new Prados, etc towing them. So when we were looking in the local Jayco yard I called bil over to a 23' Sterling to see what the popularity was all about. Ensuite, aircon, leather seats and lounge, etc, etc and sitting inside we both agreed neither missus shall ever step foot in one if we know what's best for our wallets.

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
Mind you it's all relative as I've been escorting newbie bil around as he looks for a modest pop-top as he's thinking of selling his boat and catching the grey nomad bug from us. There's some very interesting crap out there and he's slowly upping the budget with globetrotting exec sis in mind no doubt.

With our Dove and Suzi Sx4 and our trip from Adel up the NW of WA, we were definitely the poor country cousins, although many vanners were permanent grey nomads and I couldn't help noticing the popularity of Jayco Sterlings with the new Prados, etc towing them. So when we were looking in the local Jayco yard I called bil over to a 23' Sterling to see what the popularity was all about. Ensuite, aircon, leather seats and lounge, etc, etc and sitting inside we both agreed neither missus shall ever step foot in one if we know what's best for our wallets.

I made that mistake last week and before I could distract the wife she was in the door and it was love at first look.......she is however happy with the Swan until the kids get older or we decide to do a full Lap.  I pointed out the pool she wants at home is cheaper than the Caravan so either way I'm buggered  $ wise.

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

nbd73

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »
I made that mistake last week and before I could distract the wife she was in the door and it was love at first look.......she is however happy with the Swan until the kids get older or we decide to do a full Lap.  I pointed out the pool she wants at home is cheaper than the Caravan so either way I'm buggered  $ wise.

Dave
Dave, we were all buggered the minute we uttered the single man's nightmare words "I do" so don't feel too bad. If it's any consolation a caravan will require less $ in upkeep than a pool. Whatever you do NEVER let her get a quote for heating (or get in a heated pool) or be prepared to watch further thousands migrate from your bank account.....

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2014, 04:19:42 AM »
Whatever you do NEVER let her get a quote for heating (or get in a heated pool) or be prepared to watch further thousands migrate from your bank account.....

I built my own solar pool heating for well under a grand, turned it on the other day and jumped in to sit on the step where the water nozzle is and burned my back.

So there are options, don't have to spend $6,500 on heating, that leaves more for a Camper that suits your needs.  ;D
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline bad mudder

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2014, 10:13:22 AM »
I pointed out the pool she wants at home is cheaper than the Caravan so either way I'm buggered  $ wise.

Dave

Go the Pool Dave. You don't need a caravan you have the camper. Your kids will love you for it and so will your friends.........

Offline bad mudder

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »
Ok. Time for an update. Whilst the purchase of a new CT has temporarily been put on hold the search continues. Thanks to everyone for your contributions to this thread - except for you topender for that reference to a pool - now my wife wants one of them too.
I went to the Perth 4x4 show and had a good look around. I had some strange idea in my head that a forward folding hard floor CT like the Mirage/Modcon could squeeze us in but they are way too small.
It was a 36 degree day the day I went to the show (which is not overly hot for Perth) but it did put in perspective the heat inside most CT's. I would say that almost all were unbearable. I'm 6'4 so my head is always up near the canvas roof so I tend to notice it. The best soft floor camper I saw (by a mile) was the Trackabout. With it's extremely high roof it was actually quite cool inside. It was very spacious, extremely well built and I was impressed. It's the sort of camper that would suit me - but not necessarily suit the wife. I tried to chat to the owner but there was literally a cue of people waiting for him. The only downside was the price. At around $34 000 you're getting into (and even passing) Jayco Outback territory price wise . I guess you have to pay a bit more for a quality product.
Of course I checked out the Jayco display. A little disappointed because the model I was really interested in was the Dove and that's the only one they didn't have! Sure, bring along your Penguins and Swifts but no Dove - c'mon! Value for money the Jaycos are very appealing and would be very comfortable but in the back of mind would always be, will it survive the Outback - not in its stock form. I'd have to make a few mods, but nothing major.
No Cameron CTs to look at unfortunately but the Camprite caught my eye. Locally built (always handy) and stacked with features and a great layout I could have bought it there and then........if I won the lotto!! $55 000!! Who are they kidding?? The colour of it was Gold, I didn't know it was real gold!
So I guess I've narrowed it down (at least until someone suggests something else) -  Trackabout or Jayco Outback.

BM.