Author Topic: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.  (Read 302683 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 12:54:47 PM »
A mate just sent me this, interesting as it was written more  than ten years ago apparently ..
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:59:24 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 01:14:18 PM »
Wow! That is scary. When was that book published edz?
Oops, just noticed you mentioned ten years ago.
Not a relation of Nostradamos were they?

Sent from my SM-J600G using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:16:42 PM by Robbo »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 01:23:37 PM »
Just looked it up ...Apparently way back in 2008 .. Scary huh to be so close ..

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »
Read the one above it and can't remember anything like it happening, that is on page 312 so not a little book by the look of things, make enough predictions and one of them will come close eventually.
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2020, 04:19:27 PM »
A mate just sent me this, interesting as it was written more  than ten years ago apparently ..
Probably not the best title of a thread to post any of  her predictions. ;)

I can’t exactly recall the flesh eating bug that she predicted happening in 2010 on the same page as this magical disappearing virus.

And she caused families a lot of pain with her false predictions on missing persons cases.

She said Amanda Berry was dead, but the woman who was held hostage by Ariel Castro in Ohio is very much alive.

In the case of 11-year-old Shawn Hornbeck, Browne told his parents he was dead and had been kidnapped by a dark-skinned man with dreadlocks. Five years later, Hornbeck was found alive and had been abducted by a Caucasian man with short hair.

Browne told a grieving grandmother of a 6-year-old girl who was abducted from her yard in Texas that she had been sold into slavery and taken to Japan. Four years later authorities found the girls’ remains in Texas.

Some of her other goodies include;

“Volcanic eruption in Japan causes poisonous cloud mass in April (1998).”

“David Letterman decides to call it quits from his nightly late show after this year (2000).”

“American troops will be pulled out of Iraq by June or July (2004).”

“Julia Roberts’ marriage will end (2004).”

Browne also famously claimed she would die at the age of 88, but she was 77 when she passed away.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2020, 04:28:02 PM »
But back here in the real world, our company has now officially stopped all travel.

Me and my 3 colleagues that just returned from NZ last night are not allowed to have face to face contact with any other employees for 2 weeks.
My interstate travel for next week has all been canceled.

All of our up coming projects on NSW Health sites have been postponed until January next year and about $8M worth of new equipment will now be placed in storage.

Our Australian industry conference that was due to be held in Melbourne next month has been canceled.
And our Global industry conference that was due to be held in Frankfurt Germany in June has been postponed until November.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 04:29:52 PM by Pete79 »
The following users thanked this post: slave

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
I see that NZ has officially closed their borders as of midnight this Sunday. Any citizens returning after that have to go into isolation for fourteen days. This will affect all sports teams that are offshore at present. All cruise ships are banned and will be reviewed on June 30th. This effectively stops their tourist industry which will have serious financial repercussions.
We need to follow suit here before it becomes too late, if it is'nt already.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2020, 05:11:00 PM »
Then there is the employment factor ... and food will be massively hit

Talking to a mate yesterday who does consultancy work for a big abattoir in SEQ.

They're shutting up shop next week (or at least stopping production) as they've run out of freezer space to hold prepared meat, as there is no shipping available to take containers o'seas, which is their market!

It's the same here on the GC, where the We're All Doomed screams start as soon as anything happens to reduce tourist numbers, especially from o/s.

Don't concentrate so much on one single source of income that if anything happens, you're stuffed! ::)

Sell meat to Oz as well as o/s, try to have something else other than tourism to run the city, Uni's - don't concentrate on high fee paying foreign students at the expense of Aussie kids, & so on ::)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2020, 06:06:47 PM »
Mrs Spada and her team (payroll department for a largish company) will be working remotely next week as a practice run in case their work site is forced to shut down, which is a possibility apparently  due to staff regularly travelling between Aus & China.

I've you've bought anything on Ebay from china, could be waiting a while for delivery. There are significant backlogs due to both China factories shutting down, and limited capacity to freight product from China. AusPost is seeing a dramatic drop in volumes of packages arriving from China.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2020, 08:15:04 PM »
And on a positive note, Australian caught seafood is actually going to be affordable in Australia soon.

The last air cargo shipment of fresh seafood was accepted into China on January 26.

Local lobster prices have dropped by 20% and on track to get down to around $100/kg soon enough.
Prawns and crab prices are on the way down too.

But personally I’m waiting for the canceled live exports of coral trout to finally bring the prices of my favorite fish back to realistic levels. ;)

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2020, 09:49:54 PM »
Wonder if their will be a civil case brought against China.
They cause this with their ‘wild meat markets’, but it is China, so let’s stay political correct and not blame anyone.

I notice that Denmark close its borders, if you are not Danish you are not coming in.
France and Switzerland close the border with Italy, Austria to follow. Wonder what happened with freedom of movement and Europe is one. The silver lining is that what Italy did was brave and will save more people than what we realise. Europe will now find a cure since the virus have the potential to devastate Europe. Chinese, who cause this, will sweep it under the carpet, the ‘meat markets’ will be up and running within 3 months after the cure is found.

Anyone that can work from home should work from home. We procured more power cords and encourage people, contractors and FTE’s to work from home, no financial penalties will apply.

Interesting point about the tradies, what should they do? Not sure but I am hoping that part of the Government response will be to look after the tradies, because we all know what construction (housing, commercial, industrial, mining, infrastructure, ect) add to the GDP.

I also live in Brisbane and work out West, like one of the previous post.
We just finish the last work of the recovery of TC Damien on the network, so will see what the impact of the workforce will be. Interesting point will be the 500 limit, wonder what the construction camps will do? But then, with the gastro that sweeps through the Camps, no virus can survive that! 😎

Lastly, I will be watching the news and waiting for the Greens to blame climate change for the virus.
(Because we need to stay political correct and not blame China)

Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »
Hooking up the trailer and going away for a week, be glad not hear anything about CV, heartily sick of the crap.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
Hooking up the trailer and going away for a week, be glad not hear anything about CV, heartily sick of the crap.

LOL...IT WILL BE TWICE AS BAD WHEN YOU GET BACK!!! :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2020, 10:48:55 AM »
LOL...IT WILL BE TWICE AS BAD WHEN YOU GET BACK!!! :cheers:

If he's allowed back... and if he's allowed to go where he wants to go...

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »
if he's allowed to go where he wants to go...

Funny you should say this, Only last night, heard people from  a couple of  country places, talking  that they might have to  look at stopping  out siders as they called them,  from coming into their small townships  for a while ..
So there is some out there thinking along these lines .

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2020, 11:55:20 AM »

Funny you should say this, Only last night, heard people from  a couple of  country places, talking  that they might have to  look at stopping  out siders as they called them,  from coming into their small townships  for a while ..
So there is some out there thinking along these lines .

Can believe it; we've only got a 100 bed hospital here, but for anything more serious than a broken limb or (uncomlicated) childbirth, it's a trip to Tamworth at the nearest - more likely Newcastle or the Gold Coast.

Realistically, Australia has the distance between places that if travel is restricted between places the risk of spread is vastly reduced outside of the major metropolitan areas - but this will only work if people from those major areas stay put and not run for the hills.

If COVID19 hits the regional areas, be prepared for a big contraction in food supply - for example, an outbreak up here would be very likely to affect the supply of fresh tomatoes on the Eastern seaboard because of the Costa farm up the road due to a lack of staff and the very high risk of transmission on the picked fruit to the metropolitan areas.

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2020, 11:57:57 AM »

Call me what you want but the modern day viruses all started in China, and China kept it quiet till it spread to the world. And it was the world that found a cure, not China.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:02:04 PM by Jillsy »
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 12:35:54 PM »
Wow...

Italy may abandon over-80s to their fate as crisis grows

Bologna: Coronavirus victims in Italy could be left to die if they are aged 80 or more, or in poor health, under draft plans drawn up for the next phase of the crisis.

The victims will be denied access to intensive care should pressure on beds increase, according to a new regional protocol, seen by The Telegraph, London, from the government's crisis management unit in Turin.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/italy-may-abandon-over-80s-to-their-fate-as-crisis-grows-20200315-p54a75.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2020, 12:41:59 PM »
Call me what you want but the modern day viruses all started in China, and China kept it quiet till it spread to the world. And it was the world that found a cure, not China.

Can you list the modern day virus,s that originated from China?  I,d be interested to know as my teachings are different to your statement..I was lead to believe they originated in Africa, Europe and Asia...
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2020, 01:04:00 PM »
Saw this one my facebook feed.  It makes sense when you look at the numbers, simple maths really. 

Must read: Shared from a doctor friend working in Infectious Diseases in Western Australia. In her words...

As most of you know, I don’t post on Facebook often, but I need you to read this article. I have been a doctor on the infectious diseases team this week, and many people have asked me the same questions about corona virus, and this is what I’ve been telling them: we need to be prepared and wary, but not alarmed. The media has been very sensationalist and has a lot to answer for, including my inability to find toilet paper.

The covid-19 virus is coming to Australia, and in most places it is already here. For 80% of people who get it, you will develop mild cold symptoms. What’s the big deal then? Why are we talking about closing schools and cancelling events and sports?

Cancelling large gatherings will slow the spread of the virus, so hospitals are not overwhelmed. I’m a doctor and I don’t want to have to tell you that we can’t treat your mum because we’ve run out of oxygen. I don’t want to call you to tell you that your dad died in a corridor, because we didn’t have enough beds. This is what Northern Italy is experiencing right now, and they have one of the best healthcare systems in the world. This is what areas of the US are currently experiencing. They are having to choose which patients live and which ones die. China had to build 16 new hospitals in a few weeks for a city with the same population as Australia, and they still ran out of resources. They had to fly in builders, cleaners, kitchen staff, nurses and doctors from all around China to have enough staff. We don’t have this ability; it took 4 years to build the Perth Children’s Hospital. If we can slow it down, so there are enough resources and staff to treat everyone that gets sick, less people will die. A lot less. So yes, most people will develop mild symptoms, but upto 20% may need hospitalisation. That’s 1 in 5 people, and if this amount of people need hospital admission suddenly, like in Italy, China and America, our world class Australian healthcare system is going to struggle, and people will not be able to get the care they need, and they will die.

In regards to closing schools, children in particular seem to not develop many or any symptoms. They can then pass it on to other children and teachers, who will then take it home to their families, and potentially give it to grandparents. Older people and people with other medical conditions such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, lung disease and high blood pressure are particularly at risk of dying from covid-19. People over the age of 80 may have a mortality rate of upto 14%. You don’t want your grandma to get it, if we can avoid it. You don’t want to accidently infect you’re child’s best friend’s mum, who is battling breast cancer, if we can avoid it. Your friend from book club or the men’s shed takes medications to suppress their immune system to treat an autoimmune disease, so you don’t want them to get it if we can avoid it.

If you are asked to self isolate, please stay at home the whole time. Don’t just “duck to the shops” because “I’ll only be there for 5 minutes, it won’t hurt anyone”. It does and it will. When the lockdown in Italy started, people in Italy were still going to the gym, to cafes and other places in public. Look where they are now: the whole country is in lockdown and funerals are banned. They can’t even grieve their dead. Isolating yourself when asked to is a sign of altruism. Going out when you’ve been asked not to is essentially saying that your short term pleasure/job etc. is more important than someone else’s life. You might not feel sick enough to want to stay home, but if you don’t someone else could die. Or multiple people. On average one person with corona virus infects 2-3 others, but one person in Korea infected hundreds accidently before they were found and isolated.

I want you and your family to get the best care possible, in one of the best health care systems in the world. But we can’t do this without everyone getting involved. Please read this article. Start preparing. Start physically distancing yourself from other people by more than 1 metre. Please stop handshaking, hugging or kissing people on the cheek. Please frequently wash your hands with alcohol hand rub or soap and water for 20 seconds. Notice and reduce the amount you touch your face.

Please read this article. Singapore and Hong Kong have contained the virus by using the measures mentioned in the article. We can too, but we need everyone to pull together. Please stay home if you unwell, even if you only have a mild cold, please only take what you need from the supermarket, and please just be kind. If we do this together, the impacts of the corona virus will be much less, and a lot more people will live.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: RebsWA, Spada, Fizzie

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2020, 01:21:49 PM »
It's definitely a case of if you are going to get the virus, hope you get it very soon while we still have a hospital system that is coping. Not looking forward to potentially having to engage with the ACT Hospital Emergency, as the only major hospital serving both the ACT and the NSW south coast they are under-resourced for a normal flu season. The other interesting complication is the unknown effect on lungs and susceptibility to the virus from the prolonged exposure to bushfire smoke of everyone in the region. I know I was surprised by the effect the smoke had on me and a number of people I have spoken to, none of whom have any previous history of respiratory disorders.

2011 NT Pajero; 2007 Goldstream Crown 4B

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2020, 01:45:38 PM »
Thank you alnjan. Excellent post both factual and sensible. Hopefully it will give some a better understanding of the situation we are faced with and put some minds at rest.

The following users thanked this post: alnjan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2020, 03:59:32 PM »
Thank you alnjan. Excellent post both factual and sensible. Hopefully it will give some a better understanding of the situation we are faced with and put some minds at rest.

The only caveat I would add is, I saw an expert from the US saying that closing schools, especially given it's minimal effect on children could be counter productive. This is because people have to stay home and care for them, this includes health workers. The stats he cited were from the US but it was a sizeable percentage of the health workforce could be needed at home.

It's the kind of big picture that a Dr might not necessarily think about but something that governments have to consider.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2020, 04:21:56 PM »

The only caveat I would add is, I saw an expert from the US saying that closing schools, especially given it's minimal effect on children could be counter productive. This is because people have to stay home and care for them, this includes health workers. The stats he cited were from the US but it was a sizeable percentage of the health workforce could be needed at home.

It's the kind of big picture that a Dr might not necessarily think about but something that governments have to consider.

I think it is that reason the PM has said today the Schools at present will stay open for now.  Unless I read it wrong.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2020, 05:52:16 PM »
I think it is that reason the PM has said today the Schools at present will stay open for now.  Unless I read it wrong.

I would say it would at least be part of it, they probably also want to keep the economy ticking over, shutting schools would be pretty detrimental to it so they probably take that into consideration as well.

The cynical part of me thinks that even with a total lockdown, they are saying it can't be contained, so they probably don't want it to drag on for a year or two until a viable vaccine is available, rather have enough people get it to then have some herd immunity, but at a rate where they can keep a decent level of medical care. If they could keep the casualty rate to 0.25-0.5% due to availability of quality care (with most of those otherwise having limited time left anyway) it would probably be seen as a win. That's still a death toll of 35-70 thousand