Author Topic: Single burner butane stove catching fire  (Read 2574 times)

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
Single burner butane stove catching fire
« on: November 01, 2023, 10:26:19 AM »
I've been using these great little stoves for years, had 2 in my old camper which went with the camper when I sold it.
Getting ready for our 1st longish road trip in our new camper and I decided at the last minute to grab one of these from Bunnings just as a back up. Our new camper has a 4 burner stove.
1st morning I'm having trouble getting gas to the new stove (turns out I was just being impatient) so I pulled out the new one to boil the kettle.
When I went to fire it up it burst into flames , the whole thing was alight. I managed to flick the lock lever up which stopped the gas flow. After the panic had died down I pushed the lever down and I could hear gas escaping....seems it was a faulty unit.
Fortunately there was a Bunnings in the town I was staying so they just exchanged it for a new one, which worked fine.
My advice to anyone using a new one of these stoves is to lock the can in place and listen for gas leaking before igniting the burner. I know it's an isolated case but it could have been much worse.
Take care people.
2018 Pajero NX GLS 3.2D auto, 2004 Kimberley Kamper Escape
The following users thanked this post: plusnq, Fizzie

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Single burner butane stove catching fire
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 10:53:26 AM »
I've been using these great little stoves for years, had 2 in my old camper which went with the camper when I sold it.
Getting ready for our 1st longish road trip in our new camper and I decided at the last minute to grab one of these from Bunnings just as a back up. Our new camper has a 4 burner stove.
1st morning I'm having trouble getting gas to the new stove (turns out I was just being impatient) so I pulled out the new one to boil the kettle.
When I went to fire it up it burst into flames , the whole thing was alight. I managed to flick the lock lever up which stopped the gas flow. After the panic had died down I pushed the lever down and I could hear gas escaping....seems it was a faulty unit.
Fortunately there was a Bunnings in the town I was staying so they just exchanged it for a new one, which worked fine.
My advice to anyone using a new one of these stoves is to lock the can in place and listen for gas leaking before igniting the burner. I know it's an isolated case but it could have been much worse.
Take care people.
was it one of these?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gasmate-portable-bbq-butane-stove-single-burner_p0035119

werent there issues with this style of stove with the tin of gas on teh side few years back ?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 10:58:58 AM »
was it one of these?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gasmate-portable-bbq-butane-stove-single-burner_p0035119

werent there issues with this style of stove with the tin of gas on teh side few years back ?

Yes there was, however I believe the gas canister  locking mechanism has been changed to make safer...
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 11:49:19 AM »
was it one of these?

Similar, but the one I bought was a Jumbuck, Bunnings had a pile of them and selling well.
There was an issue years ago but I think that was a design fault with the cans.
New cans are, supposedly, safe.
The fault with my stove was it wasn't sealing when the lock lever was pushed down.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 06:36:34 AM »
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 08:40:30 AM »
The problem years ago wasn't the cans, it was operator error, allowable by the design.

With some stoves it was possible to leave the pot support in "transport" mode and use the stove, causing the heat to build up, overheating the gas canister. It would then fail and explode. It didn't help if a large pot/pan was used that sat over the gas can also.

The new ones have fixed pot supports, and an extra level of gas shut off in case of overheat/over pressure. Looks like a major gas leak doesn't trigger any of these safety measures!

Glad it all worked out well for you.

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 12:28:23 PM »
The problem years ago wasn't the cans, it was operator error, allowable by the design.

With some stoves it was possible to leave the pot support in "transport" mode and use the stove, causing the heat to build up, overheating the gas canister. It would then fail and explode. It didn't help if a large pot/pan was used that sat over the gas can also.

The new ones have fixed pot supports, and an extra level of gas shut off in case of overheat/over pressure. Looks like a major gas leak doesn't trigger any of these safety measures!

Glad it all worked out well for you.
Cheers Paul, I remember with my old ones the pot support had to be flipped over to use the stove, then reversed to the transport mode. From memory the carry case wouldn't close if the pot support wasn't turned upside down.  Easy to see how this could be a problem if you didn't know.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 05:10:11 AM »

While not the same brand, definitely seems to be the same problem on a very similar product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: Bird, paul.o

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 02:08:36 PM »

While not the same brand, definitely seems to be the same problem on a very similar product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those not sold since 2017. Those on sale now are different. only trouble with them is the gas is useless in really cold weather. Sleep with it in your sleeping bag if you want and early morning brew.   

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 02:14:44 PM »
Quote from: rossm
only trouble with them is the gas is useless in really cold weather. Sleep with it in your sleeping bag if you want and early morning brew.
agree.. got a few 1/2 used tins in shed
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 02:16:18 PM »
agree.. got a few 1/2 used tins in shed

Likewise ;D

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 04:19:47 PM »
Hi,
    I've seen them warmed up with MAP gas when winter camping in the Central Highlands.
I'll stick with my Colman Shellite unit thank you!
Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2023, 07:07:06 AM »
I bought one off Amazon this year from the states that takes butane and also has a Coleman propane adapter so no more cold morning issues for me. It’s a ripper.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2023, 10:09:01 AM »
Hi,
    I've seen them warmed up with MAP gas when winter camping in the Central Highlands.
I'll stick with my Colman Shellite unit thank you!
Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I’d be watching that from a distance. :D

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2023, 05:57:35 PM »
You should only buy double safety butane gas cans with TSR that guarantees RVR-
https://www.gasmate.com.au/accessories/cylinders/butane-range-fuel/power-fuel-iso-butane-cartridges-4-pack
The serious problem of over-pressure butane gas cans exploding was addressed some years ago by Korean manufacturer Daeryuk Can Co as Asia used them widely in home for cooking-
https://korean-products.com/2016/11/21/max-explosion-proof-portable-butane-gas-cartridge/
Don't mess around with cheap nasty cans although presumably Australian Standards demand appropriate safety cans nowadays-
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVwOrk1vl5Y
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.