Matson
DownUnder
Gasmate
Companion
BushBoy
Aldi, the wonder fridge
Techni Ice
Kings

Author Topic: What Fridge do you use Poll.  (Read 267312 times)

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
Re: What Fridge do you use Poll.
« Reply #300 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
I have a small Waeco (31l) with a busted lid, but it still works, just need to strap down the lid to keep the seal.
I also run Matsen 60l fridge in my car 24x7. I had issues awhile ago, thought it was the fridge, but ended up being a battery performance issue. BUT, the customer service offered by Matsen was helpful and I found them easy to deal with.

Only issue with the fridge, no light in a 60l, and the lid opens on the long side, which I did not think of to start with, but the fridge slide I am building now, may need to have a swivel plate on it :)
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline Gra

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #301 on: August 21, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »
I recently bought a 60l Evakool, great fridge. I still tend to use a little generic brand 3-way as well for extended stays in the one place. Food and kid's stuff live in the Evakool and drinks stay in the 3-way. Probably sounds a bit backwards but actually works well; 3-ways should only be operated by people who understand the "get what you want and get out" rule. In my house full of girls, that means me. And by reducing the choice of what is actually available in the fridge to either beer or Coke it stays nice and cold.

Gra

Offline BrisVegasGolfer

• Tent User
« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2012, 12:44:53 PM »
Picking up my Engel MT45 this arvo. 

Bought a big Waeco CF110 second hand recently, but have figured out that it's just too big for our needs. 
2015 Isuzu MU-X

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #303 on: September 22, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
Last time we brought a new fridge we switched from a 60L Engel to a 45L Engel. After having an Evakool ice box for many years our latest purchase was a Evakool 60L, it's not as tall so suits the back of the troopy with sliding draws installed better. And for a not much larger footprint we get the bonus extra fridge space, which we're sure to use having two growing kids.

Only thing I'm keen to see is the power usage compared to the Engel. Will have to do some kind of test, running each with the same amount of stuff in it at the same temp for 24hrs or something.
I'm interested to know if anyone out there who has had both can give us an idea of how efficient they are in comparison? Well obviously I'd expect the Evakool to use a bit more than the Engel due to the size difference of 45L compared to 60. I'm hoping it might fall somewhere between what an engel45 and engel60 use. We will probably use it as a fridge only.
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline JBJ21

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
I hav'nt posted here for a while well have been in hibernation :) now its spring time to start our camping trips .... Anyway we are considering of buying a Waeco 80lt fridge freezer would like some feedback on how good these units are.

Offline JBJ21

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #305 on: October 06, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »
We ended up buying the waeco 50 lt use a our main fridge and a 40 to use as a freezer,instead of the 80lt we thought two units will be handier :)

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
57 litre Engel fridge/freezer
80 series TD & 2002 Cub Drover

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #307 on: October 20, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »
Weaco 80lt fridge/freezer
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:56:52 PM by StrvnMrvn »
Cheers

Strvy

Temora140

« Reply #308 on: October 23, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
We just bought a Engel MR40F, very happy with it.

Offline booga

• Tent User
« Reply #309 on: November 01, 2012, 12:43:05 PM »
just brought me a Waeco CF110-AC first fridge, got it for $1100 through a friend of a friend who knows someone
A philosophy of life: to "Relax, it's your Right as a Human Being", "Simplify your Life" and enjoy!

nbd73

« Reply #310 on: November 01, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »
just brought me a Waeco CF110-AC first fridge, got it for $1100 through a friend of a friend who knows someone
This post belongs in the "have you found a bargain" thread: well done booga, that's an absolute steal. Brand new?

Offline booga

• Tent User
« Reply #311 on: November 01, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »
brand spanking, the old lady works somewhere that buys heaps of gear from them and apperantly due to the size of the order we get it at mates rates  :cup:

You know I saw them in BCF for like $1900 even when the website says RRP $1700, poor mug who buys one from there
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:09:59 PM by booga »
A philosophy of life: to "Relax, it's your Right as a Human Being", "Simplify your Life" and enjoy!

Offline Heathen

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
Ironman had a sale on about a month back and I picked up a 40L with a cover for $700. I dont know how I ever lived without it now.
I only have a single battey and it just cycles itself off and on depending on the battery voltage....just works as it should.

Tbombadelaide

« Reply #313 on: December 08, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
chinese no name, 80 litre bounced to birdsville and back, yorke peninsular, flinders rangers, coorong, beachport. Hasnt missed a beat. $500 on ebay two years ago. Great buy!!!!

Offline ewwreckers

• Tent User
« Reply #314 on: December 17, 2012, 06:13:44 AM »
Picked up our 40Lt Waeco that we got off evilbay for $400 yesterday, works a treat. Old mate only used it 3 times, got cover and everything.  We're happy campers now!  Then hubby mentions that at some stage next year we'd be looking at buying a 2nd one so we can use one as fridge, one as freezer, but for now we'll be going to buy a good esky.  Old mate says come through I think I can help ya.  Got a Lumina (Aldi) 3 way here you can have for $100.  Got home last night, had used the waeco on the 300k trip home, plugged the Aldi one in, and this morning she's nice and cold :D  Cheering!  After the problems we had with Techniice was great to finally get a bargain!
Cheers
Vanessa

$150 Jackaroo + $1600 CT = One helluva happy family!

"Got my toes in the water,
ass in the sand,
not a worry in the world,
a cold beer in my hand,
Life is good today, life is good today"

Offline Hosko

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #315 on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
Bought our Xmas present yesterday.Super Cheap Auto had Waeco CF-40 (so the older model) units for $600 so that's basically $400 off the original price. We did a run past BCF and a few other places and nothing could match it for that price/size and warranty. It has 5 years on the compressor whereas the CDF models only carried 2. The new generation CFX models also have a 5 year warranty but were over double the price of the this one for a 35 litre version.

Just need to get a bag for it now.

Next step. electrifying the CT with the Anderson plug...etc so that we have a battery to run the water pump and the fridge when on the move to the camping ground. Once there we have power but I do enjoy keeping things cool when on the move to get there.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #316 on: December 25, 2012, 05:55:16 AM »
I was up in the shed last night getting out the large esky's for Xmas day and it dawned on me what I've accumulated for camping over the years.

65L Waeco ice box
105L Evakool ice box
35L Waeco 3 way fridge
60L Evakool 12v fridge
90L Dometic 3 way fridge (Jayco Eagle)

Not to mention all of the old tents, stoves and other assorted useless camping gadgets.  Time for a garage sale me thinks.

Offline sea devil

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
Replaced my aging 60lt Waeco with a nice new Trailblazer 60 lt. The aux battery in the cruiser lasts a lot longer now.
100 Series T/D with goodies either towing Camper or Boat. (when work doesn't get in the way ! )

Offline RWS

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »
Came across this fellow doing it tough on a section of corrugations between Musgrave Station and Coen...correct me if I’m wrong, that looks like an old Engel sitting on the back having its innards shaken loose.  :cup:

Offline Richie Rich

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #319 on: January 01, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »
Hi

First vote in the New Year, I have a 3 way Chescold I think its about 38lt, all plastic construction. I have owned it for at least 12 years and is still going great. On a touring trip moving camp daily the fridge is average, not the best on 12v and always reconnecting the gas at every stop, however if camping at the one location for a few days and running on gas it's fantastic. It has a very basic operation and on occasions I have frozen stuff whilst on gas. if looking for a 3 way would not hesitate to recommend this brand. :D

Offline kado

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #320 on: January 11, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
We have a Waco CF40 which we just got at Chrissie time for a bargain too. Haven't really tested it out yet besides keeping the drinks cold at home on 240v.

Also got ourselves an AldI special (GearUp) a couple of years ago too. It has served us well for the amount of money it owes us. Done what it said it would do so can't complain! Good value!

Offline MY0080

• Tent User
  • Get out there in our Great Australian BackYard
« Reply #321 on: January 28, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »
Ive had a Waeco 110 for about 2years. Not happy, it doesnt seem to keep up in the heat. The only reason I went for waeco was because Engel dont make anything bigger than 80L
80 Series Landcruiser
Aussie Swag Camper Trailer
Bungarribee 4WD Club

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #322 on: January 28, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
Ive had a Waeco 110 for about 2years. Not happy, it doesnt seem to keep up in the heat. The only reason I went for waeco was because Engel dont make anything bigger than 80L

Can I suggest you check the air flow or where you have the fridge positioned. Make sure there is plenty of flow. The heat generated by its self is huge let alone, add 60c in the confined space it is in in the camper of back of the car. Make sure the condenser fins are free of dust etc. I've added an additional fan to our fridges and while you can argue we shouldn't have to I do;t think they were ever designed to be housed in such small placed. A small fan positioned to blow air into the compressor area will fix the issues in no time.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline MY0080

• Tent User
  • Get out there in our Great Australian BackYard
« Reply #323 on: January 28, 2013, 03:57:51 PM »
Can I suggest you check the air flow or where you have the fridge positioned. Make sure there is plenty of flow. The heat generated by its self is huge let alone, add 60c in the confined space it is in in the camper of back of the car. Make sure the condenser fins are free of dust etc. I've added an additional fan to our fridges and while you can argue we shouldn't have to I do;t think they were ever designed to be housed in such small placed. A small fan positioned to blow air into the compressor area will fix the issues in no time.

Whether i leave the fridge in the car or put it under the awning of my camper (out of the sun), the error light comes on and shuts down
80 Series Landcruiser
Aussie Swag Camper Trailer
Bungarribee 4WD Club

Offline ewwreckers

• Tent User
« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »
After running it perfect at home, and once in the car, we had huge dramas with our Waeco on our trip!  Same problem as you have MY0080.  We have found that it need lots of room around it when running on 12V in the car, and it drains a battery alot quicker then we thought.  A couple weeks into the trip and we worked it out that when packing the back of the car, leave heaps of room.
Spoke to a guy up a Mackay and he had nothing but trouble with his Waeco, and my cousin had his on the back of his ute and he got the same error thing as us.  He moved it well away from his toolbox (after pulling it apart and checking it all out) and it's fine now.  They just sound like a really fussy fridge.
Cheers
Vanessa

$150 Jackaroo + $1600 CT = One helluva happy family!

"Got my toes in the water,
ass in the sand,
not a worry in the world,
a cold beer in my hand,
Life is good today, life is good today"