Author Topic: Snorkel ram head  (Read 4282 times)

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
Snorkel ram head
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
How much does the shape and size of the ram head have with the air intake?

I look at the TJM slick ones for a 200, and it looks neat, but can see the front glass will be a nice guide for the water to enter the snorkel.

One also see the intake of some custom once facing backwards?

So, does it really matter how big the forward facing ram head opening is and that it is a forward facing ram head vs a top hat one?
When you drive slow off-road, the air will not be force in by the wind, because you are travelling slow?
I would think the size of the air intake pipe and the none restriction of the suction through the ram head, top hat or custom rear facing opening are more important than a forward facing big ram head?
Is this correct?
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Snorkel ram head
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:26:09 AM »
I would think so, especially if turbocharged, as long as the snorkel isn't restricting the flow, then the head type would be fairly irrelevant as it would actually be the suction drawing the air through.
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 06:31:48 AM »
The amount of air going in is proportionate to the amount of advertising bullShit.  The more advertising about the 101 benefits of fitting an xyz head over brand x the more they will have you believe that it works. Funny how the real expensive one always claims to work better...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:33:20 AM by Bigfish »
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:40 AM »
Ask TJM. I bet they have a place for the water to run out, like the safari ones do. I distinctly remember reading some information a while back from Safari showing some of the engineering that went into forward facing snorkels.

I don't like rear facing ones, and if you've ever been in a vehicle with some decent boost and a rear facing snorkel you'll know why; its insanely noisy and unpleasant

I would think so, especially if turbocharged, as long as the snorkel isn't restricting the flow, then the head type would be fairly irrelevant as it would actually be the suction drawing the air through.

I doubt it, given your boost levels vary a huge amount

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »
Ram head can be whatever shape the marketing guys want...... All the air on every snorkel slows down to the same speed when it hits the filter
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 08:29:16 AM »
Ram head can be whatever shape the marketing guys want...... All the air on every snorkel slows down to the same speed when it hits the filter

Aint that the truth!!

:cup: :cup: :cup:     :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 08:32:16 AM »
Quote from: chester ver2.0

But if you have 1ltr of air or 500ltrs of air makes a difference.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 10:14:36 AM »
I don't like rear facing ones, and if you've ever been in a vehicle with some decent boost and a rear facing snorkel you'll know why; its insanely noisy and unpleasant
Did you try this car with the ram facing forwards and backwards? I find it hard to fathom that it would make much deference to the noise levels as I haven't ever read of anyone else mentioning it, might have been noisy either way. Or if it's just for high boost cars the would be irrelevant for 99% of cars that use a snorkel.

I doubt it, given your boost levels vary a huge amount

The point is, boost is controlled by the ECU, as long as the required air is available, the ram is not going to force in air any better. I read of someone who did some testing and there was a 0.25psi difference between forwards and rearwards facing at 145km/h, it may theoretically have a minute "turbo" effect on a naturally aspirated engine (probably offset by the lack of aerodynamics) but on a turbo charged engine where the boost is regulated it wouldn't make any difference.

But if you have 1ltr of air or 500ltrs of air makes a difference.

Not if all the car requires is 1ltr, as long as it isn't a limiting factor, bigger air availibility makes no differance.

My moral to the story is, buy what you like build quality and look of, as long as it supplies the required air to the engine ( I think most reputable brands would tick this box) , there will be negligable differance between them, it dosent matter if it can supplt 1000000000x more air

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
Did you try this car with the ram facing forwards and backwards? I find it hard to fathom that it would make much deference to the noise levels as I haven't ever read of anyone else mentioning it, might have been noisy either way. Or if it's just for high boost cars the would be irrelevant for 99% of cars that use a snorkel.

The point is, boost is controlled by the ECU, as long as the required air is available, the ram is not going to force in air any better. I read of someone who did some testing and there was a 0.25psi difference between forwards and rearwards facing at 145km/h, it may theoretically have a minute "turbo" effect on a naturally aspirated engine (probably offset by the lack of aerodynamics) but on a turbo charged engine where the boost is regulated it wouldn't make any difference.

Yes, I have. The air gets sucked much closer to the driver, and it does make a big difference. What would you define as high boost? Lots of vehicles these days are running 15 - 20+ PSI boost

Not all engines pull high boost at 80 - 110km/h. Lots of modern vehicles just tick along at 100km/h and would have very little drawn in via the turbo. I can't see any benefit of a rear facing snorkel

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia
The following users thanked this post: PWE, Mick72

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »
Quote from: tryagain
Not if all the car requires is 1ltr, as long as it isn't a limiting factor, bigger air availibility makes no differance.
but many do - that was the point I was making.
I know Donaldsons on Patrols cause issues, we did some dyno Shit at Andys when I got my Garrett and intercooler changed.

I'm surprised the factory Yota ones are so small. (this style) But I guess they know something.

Mate said he noticed a difference with this '3rd party' one on his Jackaroo, its much larger in real life than the 'safari' snorkel heads.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »
Yes, I have. The air gets sucked much closer to the driver, and it does make a big difference. What would you define as high boost? Lots of vehicles these days are running 15 - 20+ PSI boost
I wouldn't have thought the 10cm or so would make much difference, probably define high boost as getting up much above factory values, would vary from car to car I guess

Not all engines pull high boost at 80 - 110km/h. Lots of modern vehicles just tick along at 100km/h and would have very little drawn in via the turbo. I can't see any benefit of a rear facing snorkel

The main benefits from what I have read is on dusty roads it can substantially reduce dust ingress into the air filter and (not so important here) that in heavy snow, the snow can build up and choke the snorkel. I think run it whatever way you want, it really dosen't make much differance either way, just like I don't think that the differant types really make much differance as long as they aren't restricting the flow.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »
The ford facing air ram type snorkel are quieter than the standard 1HZ all round snorkel heads, I have the air ram type snorkel on my old 1HZ 80 series but it makes no difference in performance but it does help the air cleaner stay cleaner, Craig 
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 08:35:27 PM »
Thanks for all the views
I have a LC76 with a 3” Beaudesert sportz exhaust and a TJM 2.5” snorkel
I was looking at the Safari snorkel because it is a 3” pipe
I am not a fan of the ram top but like the top hat factory type, so wanted to fit the Safari with a factory type hat but did not know if the hat will restrict the flow of the air.
Base on the comment, not really.

Are there any other 3” snorkels for the LC76?
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 11:29:12 PM »
This youtuber documented his upgrade to Safari Snorkel from TJM, and went from 139kw / 364 torque to 177/461.  You can see it here;  https://youtu.be/HsmXQ8aOG8w
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 12:28:09 AM »
This youtuber documented his upgrade to Safari Snorkel from TJM, and went from 139kw / 364 torque to 177/461.  You can see it here;  https://youtu.be/HsmXQ8aOG8w

The difference between just the TJM and Safari Armax snorkel was 139 vs 146 without the ECU change, which is still a reasonable difference. I am guessing that the TJM one is designed to "catch" the air deflected off of the windscreen when driving so it might fare better when actually driving, would have been good to see if they changed the air filter as well but always good to see some numbers.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
Thanks for all the views
I have a LC76 with a 3” Beaudesert sportz exhaust and a TJM 2.5” snorkel
I was looking at the Safari snorkel because it is a 3” pipe
I am not a fan of the ram top but like the top hat factory type, so wanted to fit the Safari with a factory type hat but did not know if the hat will restrict the flow of the air.
Base on the comment, not really.

Are there any other 3” snorkels for the LC76?
https://www.jmaxengineering.com.au/product/vdj79-landcruiser-snorkel/#snorkel-style

4inch Safari
https://www.marks4wd.com/ss79hpd.html

he SS79HPD Toyota 76, 78 & 79 Series Land Cruiser 4x4 Snorkel is designed to deliver up to 50% more air than the OE air intake for 03/2003 Onwards Toyota 76, 78 & 79 Series Land Cruiser engines.

With the popularity of performance upgrades using engine management and larger exhausts, Safari 4x4 Engineering took the decision to design a snorkel system that not only raised the air intake to prevent ingesting harmful elements to the vehicles air cleaner, but also would be able to deliver the necessary volume of air into the engine, therefore maximising the performance enhancements potential.

Huge air flow is just one aspect of the design. The Safari Armax snorkel air ram is designed to perform two very important roles. The most obvious is to funnel cool clean air into the snorkel body - but just as importantly, the Safari Armax air ram acts as a highly efficient water separator to remove rain water from the incoming air stream - thus ensuring safe engine operation through even the most torrential tropical storms.

The genuine Safari Armax Toyota 76, 78 & 79 Series LandCruiser 4x4 Snorkel body and air ram is manufactured to the highest standards in durable, UV stable, cross linked polyethylene material. In addition, the substantial material wall thickness delivers huge physical strength to ensure that the Armax snorkel breezes through the toughest off-road conditions on the planet.

*Factory Snorkel Replacement (custom modification required during installation)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 09:15:20 PM »
The Jmaxc one look like someone made it in their garage project, looks great but does not look factory like the Safari one.
I’ve looking at the Safari one but not the ram head. I prefer a top hat.
Landcruiser 76 tourer

KingBilly

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 05:08:58 AM »
Terrain Tamer sell Safari at a good price.

KB