Author Topic: Hybrid Campers  (Read 5550 times)

Offline raso43

• Learning the Ropes
Hybrid Campers
« on: April 10, 2020, 12:09:42 PM »
Good afternoon. After some info if anyone can help out with hybrid campers, currently planning a trip around the country for early next year and want to purchase something that is going to be comfortable for a family of four with the least amount of work as possible with setup/ pack up. And I am leaning more and more towards a hybrid with a good off road setup, like a reccon r 2 or modcon. Has anyone out there had some experience with this and have the bunks setup in these models?? Towing with a new Pajero Sport. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Hybrid Campers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
G,Day Raso and welcome.
Might pay to allow a test  budget  and  check out the Hire companies that are around in the future and do a few week enders here n there  on the different types .. That way you get a taster without the big bite the bullet and not realy like it hit .
If your located around SE QLD theres a few mobs that have different ones for hire http://campmountaincampers.com.au/  ......
https://www.baysidecampertrailers.com.au/    ....    https://www.adventureshack.com.au/  ..
Not sure what will be still around in the coming months though . 
Camplify would be another option to get into a Hybrid to see what does / dosnt work for you .
Short of that, Build one, there are a few on here and can be done as cheap / expensive as you want .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjx8lgIMCU&t=24s    ...   http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=55162.0   ....  http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=24638.0  ...    http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=41583.0
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:06:27 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 03:18:48 PM »
Quote from: edz
G,Day Raso and welcome.

Might pay to allow a test  budget  and  check out the Hire companies that are around in the future and do a few week enders here n there  on the different types .. That way you get a taster without the big bite the bullet and not realy like it hit .
Agree... Hire before you buy....

there are heaps of threads too on hybrids on here, owner threads with Shit loads of detailed info :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline raso43

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »
Thankyou for the welcome. Yes since posting I have been trawlling through all of the awesome information on here. So much to take in!!! I will need to do some research on hire campers in FNQ as I am in Cairns

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 04:51:17 PM »
I,m not aware of anyone hiring hybrids in Cairns at the moment but I,m sure there are people who wouldnt mind you chatting to them about their units. Maybe one of the facebook groups for NQ camping or caravanning could help also..
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »
Hi  raso43 ,

I have just recently bought a new Hybrid camp trailer that is set up for 4 persons - Queen bed and built in bunks .

It is a Starvision PX1 . I am up in Herberton , you are welcome to come and have a look if you want .

https://starvision.com.au/px1/

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson, raso43

Offline raso43

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
Thanks duggie. I might take you up on that offer once Covid allows us to travel. How have you found it so far?

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 08:08:27 PM »
Thanks duggie. I might take you up on that offer once Covid allows us to travel. How have you found it so far?

I/we have only used it twice since buying it - weekend at Tinarro and have just got back from using it as a camp at a work job up at Einasleigh for the past week .

I havea small problem with a little leak in the roof , but when I get a chance I am to take it to Cairns and get it repaired at Starvisions cost . Apart from that , I am very happy with the unit.

Good value for dollars spent , build quality is good , handles well behind the Nissan both on dirt roads and black top .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 05:02:01 AM »

I/we have only used it twice since buying it - weekend at Tinarro and have just got back from using it as a camp at a work job up at Einasleigh for the past week .

I havea small problem with a little leak in the roof , but when I get a chance I am to take it to Cairns and get it repaired at Starvisions cost . Apart from that , I am very happy with the unit.

Good value for dollars spent , build quality is good , handles well behind the Nissan both on dirt roads and black top .

Raso,
If you do take up Duggie’s offer and pop in and have a look.....don’t plan on it being a short visit... :cheers:
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 06:54:31 AM »
Hi Raso
We upgraded from our hard floor camper to a Austrack Tanami X15 just before Christmas.
Have about 10 nights so far but really suits us.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 07:12:06 AM »
We are in Edmonton.
Have an MDC XT12.
Had it a year or more and very happy with it.
Your happy to have a look at it and chat if you would like...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown
The following users thanked this post: raso43

Offline Studogg

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 08:48:50 PM »
Picked up a Modcon C1 (basically same as C3) start of March. It's everything I wanted. Got two kids 12 and 10 and they fit comfortably on the bunks. I think build quality has been outstanding. I have been on a Modcon owners facebook site for a year looking (dreaming) at it and the biggest issue that has come up has maybe some issues with leaking shocks. Unfortunately only trip I have done is home from Brisbane with it but it was so easy to setup and then pack up and get going in the morning. 

Had some friends do a Kimberly trip in an MDC XT12HR and they had no problems and really enjoyed it. Not sure if the size of these campers is suited to a round Australia trip. It is perfect for weekend and bush camping, well at least I think it will be if I am ever allowed to go camping again.

One thing I didn't like with all of the Hybrid caravans I looked at was the Annex setup. The 270 deg on the Modcon would have been alright and I didn't like the caravan style Annexes on most others. I decided to get the van without and do my own. We always loved being under a big tarp with the old soft floor camp trailer. So I made a custom setup. Bracket along the roof, 4wd awning for quick setup overnight on side of bracket for short stop and a custom made L shape tarp from Pickers for longer stays.

Managed to set it up on the weekend, here is some pics

The following users thanked this post: raso43