Author Topic: Mackenzie jetty and logging camp?  (Read 3851 times)

Offline nick 08

• Soft Floor Camper User
Mackenzie jetty and logging camp?
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:50:33 AM »
Well I was talking to an old bloke at work last night and he mentioned this track which leads to a place called Mackenzie jetty which is on the west side of the island. He also said there was old logging yards with old machinery laying around, but he also mentioned there was an old WW2 military training camp in the same area.
The track is off to the west approx half way between lake Mackenzie and kingfisher on the main track. He said its not marked and the rangers don't let to many people know about it apperantly. 
Has anyone been there or know about it as I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Nick
08 Triton GLX R with all the gear
Trackabout Deluxe tourer camper

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
Re: Mackenzie jetty and logging camp?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »
Nick .... the old jetty is the original one used by the loggers in the early days to off load timers and supplies. The WW2 base is the Z Force base used to train commandos in the use of Japanese weapons in the second world war. Additionally there is also the Valley of the Giants all worth having a look at. If we could get some GPS marks we would be sorted …… yeah some of the good stuff is not sign posted and so you either just go driving and end up places our not supposed to be or find out from someone who knows. These are all on my to do list for Fraser but I have not made it there yet :cheers:

yogi

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »
Yep, we've been there a few times. Beautiful beach. I think it's even within walking (a long walk) distance of Kingfisher along the beach, and the tide's right, but best to check that claim through other sources.

The track to the jetty area is rarely cut back or graded, so when we did it the first time in the Jimny it was an easy run. The second time in the Triton, and we got a heap of bush pin striping and a few scrapes for our troubles. Still, a good spot.

A quick google got me this: http://www.upstreampaddle.com/media/Mackenzie's%20Wharf,%20Fraser%20Island.pdf

coordinates are apparently here, according to that doc:  25° 24’ 25” S, 153° 00’ 46” E - mapped here from Google Maps

Offline Shane083

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 08:47:37 AM »
as said above, the easiest way to the jetty is walk down the beach from kingfisher.
If god didn't want you to play with it, he would have put it in the middle of your back

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »
Thanks for the info guy's ........ but my paint is looking to good so I am going for More bush pin striping .......... especially for the "Vally of the Giants"

gupatrol02 ........ are you still heading to Fraser when we will be there ?

yogi

Offline Shane083

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
not sure yet, i have to go over around the 18th of august for a few days so i might see if i can sneak that foward a couple of days and then i'm back over on the 15th of september for the best part of a week.  I would like to get over and meet some new people but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Cheers Shane
If god didn't want you to play with it, he would have put it in the middle of your back

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:55:45 PM »
It is a great drive to the old camp.  There is a gate, but it is not usually locked, just close it after you drive through.  Lots of interesting machinery and buildings.

Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »
can't say i have ever visited this area in all my visits to Fraser. would be good if someone gets to go there sometime soon, and posts up current conditions and posts pics  8) 8)
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
We will try ....... though some times XXXX get's in the way ;D

yogi