Author Topic: No such thing as a stupid question ???  (Read 9673 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: No such thing as a stupid question ???
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
Can someone please provide some advise on the following as i have never camped on sand let alone Fraser.

Looking at sand pegs and a search on the net offers so many varieties, ie lengths, plastic and alloy. Any recommendation what would suit where we are camping?

Also feet for the trailer stays and plates for the poles. Just cut up some ply or can someone recommend what i should get and where?

Thanks

Neil
Hi Neil,
below is a pic of the various sand pegs we own. the black plastic pegs are ok for pegging small things down IMHO, but whilst better then normal straight steel pegs you get with tents etc, they aren't as good as the other type i have pictured. we use the bigger steel peg pictured (approx 300mm long) for pegging down our gazebo whilst on Fraser Island, even in 30 knott + winds they haven't come out of the ground. the smaller steel ones of the same profile we use to peg down the annex on our camper trailer, they work just aswell as the bigger pegs, we just bought them so we have a variety of sizes.
as for the tent poles, ply works fine. some mates of mine used to drill a hole with a spade bit halfway through the ply to help locate the pole. there are large plastic supports for the camper feet available to buy also if you wish to go that option, but ply will work just aswell.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:54:52 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline UTE 701

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • " QUEENSLANDER ! "
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »
Hey Neil ,
One more thing I remembered about sand pegs ...
Always scrape away the soft sand layer on the top , and get a head start on banging the peg into firmer , compact sand .
I think I also use a mallet rather than a hammer .
I recall breaking the corners off some plastic ones .

" OWZITGAARN ? "

Offline Niley

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 09:12:09 PM »
Thanks for all the advise. I have decided to make my own using 32mm PVC cut to about 450mm. With a chisel point on 1 end for in ground and a hole across the top with a heavy  pin or bolt. Can then thread the spring of the guide through this.

Might do a trial run and go down to moffs and test it out 1st.

Thanks

Neil
Landcruiser Prado & ?????

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 10:44:09 PM »
Just got back from Fraser and we were flogged with high winds and rain for the first few days and the last couple, we had a grassy spot in a depression behind a dune so were reasonably protected ... did have a couple of the 350mm supa pegs get pulled out, so quickly repinned them with 500mm supa pegs and no more troubles..
When we took them out on pack up they had a fairly big bow to them, from the preasure they had copped from the winds..
Just a note on guy rope set ups with springs, We have found over the years that it is better to replace the springs with rubber O-rings, they have way more give than springs and dont go solid when compressed like springs do, thats when pegs usully get pulled out or damage to tarps etc etc happens .. these O-rings will stretch a hell of a lot further with out the damage..about $2.00 ea at caravan canvas awning makers shops
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "