Author Topic: Thinking of Getting InCar DVD System For The Kids???  (Read 22755 times)

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
Re: Thinking of Getting InCar DVD System For The Kids???
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:10 PM »
OK, lets see about the USB. Usually that is to play photo slide shows but I'm not sure about your brand. Hope it does the job for you

Just went to the page. It does look good for what you want. We had some thing similar and it worked well until it was stolen in Penrith. Let us know how the movies go via USB. Through put on USB is not all that flash so will be interested to see
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:54:24 PM by SteveandViv »
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 06:39:51 PM »
For anyone with the DSE units, Do they play DivX and/or  Xvid in avi format.
Are there any restrictions on the size of the USB sticks.
Reason I ask is I could recode TV shows to a lesser resolution for such a tiny screen.
Should be able to get 80 hours out of of 8GB stick.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 08:10:58 PM »
Whats wrong with the LOTW system , its real time , its educational , its interactive , its how it used to be .    LOTW ,     LOOK OUT THE WINDOW 
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »
Phuie to you  ;D Kids don't what to look out the window. What's wrong with you. Anyone would think you were out to see the great out doors, nature, sights and sounds..I dunno you have it all wrong  :laugh:

Na your right and ours do but after 6 Months on the road I reckon they are allowed to watch a movie or two

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 08:49:29 PM »
Whats wrong with the LOTW system , its real time , its educational , its interactive , its how it used to be .    LOTW ,     LOOK OUT THE WINDOW 

I can tell you don't have kids  ;D

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 09:32:14 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Just in case someone was missing out...... Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
 :cheers:
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 09:46:48 PM »
um how do you get the movies onto USB????

It depends upon the kind of player you are using although most players will play .avi. 

You can choose either divix converter (cost involved) or any of the freeware xvid converters.  The one we have found most successful (although it is not for the feint hearted) is:

pgc.net to convert dvd to remove copy protection from dvd and then avi.net to convert the unprotected dvd to compressed format. 

If you google both of these you will get the websites.  Most Dvd's will compress to about 700mb which is good enough for home theatre although for dvds in back of cars (small screens) you can easily go for a smaller file size ie higher compression (basically an 8gb stick will get 15 movies) enough for that trip to Isralite Bay and back.

PS There is also software to put movies onto Nintendo DS and iphones....kids love them

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »
For the DS and DSi you need a new Cart some thing like the r4i. The you can load the software onto the chip and play the movie. it works well.

I also use our I-POD to play our movie in the car. No jumping around. That' why I would make sure it has RCA jacks

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »

Speewa I totally agree with you.  But for a 5-6hr drive mum and dad get tired playing eye spy, spotto, breaking up arguements etc.  I think we are allowed peace and quiet for an hour of our drive.

I don't intend to have them on from the time I start the car to the time we stop - just when we have had enough and so have they to makes everyone's journey that bit more pleasant.

Offline db

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 04:47:48 PM »
Our rule is if it less than a 2 hour trip, then no dvd, and even then we ration it. Games, reading, spotto, LOTW also play a part. Speewa, there are large chunks of this country that are pretty boring out a car window, especially when you are a kid.

Cheers,

Richard
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline Salty

• Swag User
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »
For my eldest son, we bought a 7" portable DVD player that straps onto the headrest for $100.  It has a 12V power cable and also an inbuilt battery so it can be used in the tent during extended periods of rain.  It rarely gets used so I'm glad we didn't spend alot of money on it.  We'll get a second one for my little boy to use before our trip in September. 

Regards
Salty
2010 Mitsubishi Triton GL-R Double Cab 4x4
2010 Camel Beachcomber with extras

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »
All right- checking for more up to date info on choices and what works/ doesn't.

I know JK has had a bad experience- anyone else?

It might be worth paying the extra $$$ and buying from a "shop" rather than ebay just for warranty?
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline JNR

• Swag User
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »
gday i hhttp://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110572912606&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:ITope this link works this is what we have bought and are putting them in tomorrow.cheers trevPLEASE DELETE LINK DIDNT WORK SORRY
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:49:52 AM by JNR »
GQ 4.2 DIESEL ST WAGON WITH A FEW GOODIES.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
Here ya go JNR
http://tiny.cc/dvrqb

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2010, 04:27:22 PM »
Don't buy what I recommended earlier - lasted all of two days on the corrugations!!!

4wd26 - A good option is to buy from a store so you can take it back - that's what we will be doing next time!

We are now thinking portable units that they can sit on their laps but still view movies off a usb.  Will be visiting Dick Smiths and Hardly Normal early next week so will let you know.

Offline Lowlander

• Swag User
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
G'day John, good to see you on this forum too- (hows the JK going?) I have a soundstream roof mounted dvd player and hasn't missed a beat after about three years! About 350 on special- great innings so far!!
Regards, Ben.
------------------
'13 FJ Cruiser
No5 Army trailer with Bundutec Bundutop tent

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.486243549.0236/flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:12 PM »
A mate and I are investigating iPads.  Can get headrest mounts for them.  Not cheap at $600 for the cheapest model, but they can also have games and other stuff, and be used at camp and at home.

2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
I'd like to again put in a vote for the Option Audio brand that replaces your original head set. We used ours over 22K for corrugations and it's still going great. Had to turn it off on some roads as it was just to much. bungles was one.

Anyway they were sold by TJM and others and I like the unit. We still have our E-BAY tv version back in Sydney some where which is where it will stay.

If any one would like Pics or more info let me know. Again the wireless head-sets are magic.

Offline bommy

• Swag User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
We have girl boy girl varying in ages from 10 to 6 .. we have found it easier to go forthe $77 lennox brand ones from http://dealsdirect.com.au they come with their own compact carry bags & it means each kid can watch what they want as per their age range...

They dont need to game, as they have their nintendos they can wifi into each other with, IF THEY WANT TO PLAY TOGETHER <read not very often>

Cheers
Jacq :D

Living life & enjoying the scenery

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 08:44:05 AM »
the 2 boy have ipods, easy to limit time( battery lasts about 2.5 hrs) i control the chargers, they dont take up much space, i upload movies from the computer before we go so they have new ones,( i use DVD FAB 5 to convert the format, this program converts most formats( dont know any more about brother inlaw set it up for me)they use headphones & they also can play games, draw ect ect depending what app's you have, if they don't want to watch a movie
PS: boys are 8 & 10.

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 09:22:06 AM »
A mate and I are investigating iPads.  Can get headrest mounts for them.  Not cheap at $600 for the cheapest model, but they can also have games and other stuff, and be used at camp and at home.

If I was looking to go down this route I'd wait for the multitude of Android based tablets (pads) that are about to hit the market, they'll be available in many sizes and you won't be tied to iTunes and all the restrictions that come with it.

Check out the link below for an insight in to what is coming in the not too distant future.
http://androidspin.com/category/hardware/tablet/

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 09:26:01 AM »
I've looked at a couple of Android pads but the problem is they don't have the range of accessories that the iPad has.  Also, unless they are substantially cheaper there's no real benefit.  I already run a couple of iPods and an iPhone so I'm familiar with iTunes foibles.
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 09:37:04 AM »
I went and got some ebay ones about 2 weeks ago- 9" headrest DVD installed them into a ML triton.

Cost a little over $300- then added rechargable AAA batteries (all 10 of the things- infra red headphones and remote controls) and 2x 32gig SD cards.

The SD cards will be installed with about 50 movies (compressed format) which should mean no scratched DVD's in the rear (Kids are 5 and 8) don't quite trust them yet.

Instalation-
My main bugbear was getting direct power from the battery, and getting this power into the cab.

I bought 5 strand trailer wire and went in through the dust cap (main wireing feed on the passenger firewall) but it was time consuming with me being home sick- genuine and having little paitenance)

I went with direct power supply due to concerns of loosing power if stopped for fuel etc- this way the dvds will still work with the ignition switched off. I went with the 5 strand, as I can add a 12 outlet in the future. I have a 6 blade fuse block at the battery for accessories (uhf, anderson plug, dvd, spots, and some other things that require power)

The triton seats were easy to slip the wires down, I did undo one of the wire circular holders at the bottom of the seat in order to get my arm up into the rear of the seat. I have them fully connected together so either can be a slave or master or independent. I did not however join them to the front DVD player. There is a huge bundle of wires now wrapped together against the siderail on the passenger seat (about 10cm diameter x 15cm) I had hoped to "hide" these under the centre console but no such luck due to the size.

One concern is that they draw constant power- red led light on at all times, but the draw would be minimal- just got to be wary that the power button does not get pushed while the covers are on.

The screens look to face the roof a little where IMO should be angled slightly back, but the kids are not complaining- and that makes us in the front happy as well, will insert a switch into the line to isolate power, to minimise the kids use if required.

Been installed for 3 weeks now and have had no problems with DVD's skipping or anything, so far.
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline Deejay

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »
Hi Peeps,

We originally got a pair of screens with a seperate DVD player for starpping onto the headrests for traveling long distances (1300km in one go).  It was the single best investmnent we had ever made.  Not a peep from the kids.  It was a cheapie which had games and everything but would skip occassionally on bumpy roads.  After a few years of excellent service, after we packed for our mega hoiliday, it was the last item I hooked up and as we loaded the kids I tested the unit.  Bummer!  Only one screen would work, so I decided it was better to have none than one as there would be fighting.  I was right, there was fighting, and I got as far as Geraldton before I was ready to let the kids out and drive off without them.  As my wife had issues with that I raced into the local DSE shop in Gero and bought a new unit with integrated DVD in one of the screens, it also had SD card input.

I mounted the screens on the headrests and that was the last peep we heard from the kids unless a DVD finished and needed changing.  I then copied a bunch of movies onto an SD card so they had a menu and choice of what they wanted and forever after driving was again pleasant.

Can't speak highly enough of these units, no skipping, good quality, easy to operate, removeable, and cheap.

Go the head rest strapped ones, that way the kids don't get TV or movies on the way to school and when we aren't on holidays.

Cheers,

DJ

Offline farmer6

• Tent User
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2010, 07:10:04 PM »

When we looked at replacing our twincab with the 100 series wagon we now have, to fit the kids, my wife mentioned getting an in-car DVD player. Of course I responded with " There is no way I would pay to have a bloody TV in the car, thats the problem with kids today, they can't entertain themselves, ect. ect. Anyway we got the roof mounted DVD player with the infra red head sets.

We headed off on a 6 hour trip to Bundaberg to visit my parents and as normal within minutes of leaving all 4 kids are fighting and whinging and generally making driving less enjoyable than it should be. Then my wife folds down the screen, hands out the headsets and presses play and like magic there is silence. BLISS. And this silence kept going for more than 5 minutes. HEAVEN. Instantly I was a huge fan. My wife and I were like a couple of 18 year old's driving alone to the beach. ;D ;D

I totally agree with others about it being the single best investment they have made. These things are great and just need to be managed to ensure that the kids don't just spend the whole trip watching movies. I like the fact that they all have to watch the same movie on one screen as this makes life a bit simpler. If they don't like the movie they can play there ds games.

All the headphones and DVD's go into one of those woollies blue bags for cold stuff. We have a 12 volt AA battery charger to charge the headset batteries. The kids are between 12 and 6, 3 boys and a girl, and they work out what they want to watch without to much trouble. Every 4th movie is a fairy movie or those coloured horse movies for our daughter but they all still watch them. Its simple, neat and tidy and works well. I like the idea of having all the movies on a card or whatever you do, that would be great.

farmer6
2006 100 series landcruiser wagon

2010 Jimboomba Camper